“Five years later- still terrific”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 26, 2013

In 2007, a visit to the West Coast proved glorious. Pacific Terrace hotel, found on trip advisor, was all it was reviewed to be. The rooms are cozy and clean, although getting slightly in need for a rework, the staff is warm and helpful (especially when I requested needing the down pillows and comforters removed from my room--- sniffle sneeze achoo) Additionally, the pool area is welcoming along with a hot tub that calls your name. It is surrounded by clear 'fencing' so you can enjoy the ocean day or evening as you soothe yourself in water. At night, fire torches are light to create a soft ambiance. The breakfast is OK, not great, not terrible. GABRIELLE treated my 2.5 year old son like royalty when he was craving cookies! Like a king I tell you! She was the kindest staff member I would say!
A very good rating comes because we made a special request on the rate due to this 2012 trip for a price adjustment as we were there due to the death of my brother-in-law. Five years prior this is where we all stayed, my brother-in-law, sister-in-law, husband, and I. We loved the stay then and when we had to unexpectedly and so sadly had to return for his funeral, we decided to stay at PTH for a couple days and have my sister-in-law come over with to reminisce. The manager at the time lacked all possible compassion, firstly, and secondly, did not really support a price reduction. That I felt was immature and lacked some basic human connection.

I wouldn't stay here again, only because I'm older- this hotel caters very much to a younger crowd I would say. Pacific Beach itself is full of college students. Being a mother opened my eyes to things I wouldn't seek again from this AREA not necessarily this Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank hcrMassachusetts
There are newer reviews for Pacific Terrace Hotel

Reviewed January 24, 2013

Great spot overlooking Pacific Beach. Easy access to lots of restaurants, via a walk on the beach or along the paved strand immediately adjacent to the hotel. Very nice and accommodating staff.
Quiet and warmly furnished rooms. Parking expensive but plenty of spots can be found on the streets near the hotel. Nice pool area. Downtown San Diego and the airport only about 10-15 minutes away via Interstate 5.

Room Tip: Pay a little more and get an ocean view but be sure to ask for the 2nd or 3rd floor for best views.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank Francophile4330
Reviewed January 23, 2013

This was my 2nd trip to Pacific Terrace and cant wait to go back again. Location is great and the staff are always friendly and helpful. The rooms have character and great facilities. Thanks Pacific Terrace for your great hospitality once again!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Our family of four stayed in an ocean front jr. suite for 3 nights. Our room 217 was on the 2nd floor with a great view over the pool towards the ocean. One thing I wasn't really aware of until we were in our room is that the balconies vary depending upon the room. Our room had a very enclosed balcony with a flat railing that created more of a room feel. Other balconies stuck out further from the room and had rounded more open balconies. My husband says he liked our balcony best because of the privacy. However, there were some end unit balconies that gave much more sweeping views and because of the shape of the building are much closer to the ocean. I don't know for sure which room type gets which balcony so I can't say how to choose a room based on this except for talking to someone at the hotel.
Our room was incredibly spacious. It had a nice kitchenette with dishes, refrigerator and microwave. The bathroom area was separated from the room and had a nice area for storing our luggage, counter space for all our toiletries and the shower/toilet were away from the sink. I loved that there was plenty of sitting space - a table with 4 chairs in the kitchenette area, a small table with 2 chairs near the balcony and 4 chairs with a small table on the balcony.
We enjoyed the buffet breakfast each morning which was 50% off for us. A good deal we thought. We enjoyed the happy hour at 4pm - free cookies and 1/2 price drinks from the tiny "bar" but they are served nicely pool side by friendly staff.
Some reviews were not sure about the boardwalk running literally on the other side of the glass wall by the pool, but we didn't mind it and enjoyed the people watching. However, we couldn't convince ourselves that a 1st floor room on the poolside was attractive. You either have to keep your windows covered all the time or be ok with people literally a few feet from your patio (and some of them were awfully close to the public boardwalk albeit behind the glass wall).
The area is interesting. We drove in around 4pm on a Sunday and were surprised to see the 20-something crowd literally spilling out of bars up and down Mission Blvd. We ate out that night and had to dodge around this bar crowd on the way to the restaurant a few blocks away. I felt it rivaled New Orleans except there is a wider age range in NO. Overall, we didn't try to go out after dark with the kids after the first night. There are a number of homeless people and many young people up and down the boardwalk after dark. One guy on his skateboard must have jumped the wall at the hotel while my husband and I were in the spa around 9pm. He skated by us, thumped the gate and then was gone. I'm pretty sure he jumped the wall on the other side. Given that, the hotel doors are unlocked until 11pm on the poolside. You do need a key to get in and out of the fenced in area separating the hotel property from the boardwalk, but this is not a perfect system as the skateboarder demonstrated.
The ocean front location is wonderful. We couldn't get enough of the crashing waves and the surfers. We saw some dolphins and enjoyed walking out on the nearby pier. The closeness to La Jolla was also nice for us. We explored there and Torrey Pines state park.
Parking was expensive but we didn't want to fuss with trying to find street parking.
The place overall is in great condition. Each morning I saw a crew out checking the pool, cleaning the glass wall, etc... One thing, though, that we didn't care for was that the climate control is motion activated. If you leave, the AC will turn off after a while for example. However, we ran the fan and had a specific temp set for at night. Each night my husband would have to get up to "activate" it again after it would shut off. The "quietness" of it shutting off would wake us every time. That was the worse of it, though.
Great experience!

Room Tip: Higher floors will have best ocean views. Be aware of different balcony styles which may impact vie...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank JCJake
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We spotted this hotel during a walk along the boardwalk on a previous trip. The beautiful exterior was matched by its equally beautiful interior. It’s not inexpensive but well worth the money for a romantic getaway. The suites were spacious and comfortable and the staff friendly and very accommodating. Turn-down service was nice and they offer extra romantic and event upgrades. The location is wonderful, right off the beach. Relaxing on the balcony watching the sunset as the waves break on the sand is well worth a few minutes of your time.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Robert F
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We had a remarkable stay at Pacific Terrace Hotel. A friend had recommended the location to us and we couldn't have been happier with the choice. My husband and I did not know anything about San Diego and it was an ideal area for us to visit as we were looking to be near the ocean. It was a last minute booking for us and we were not disappointed as we received an upgrade to an ocean front balcony room.

The staff from arrival to departure was tremendously helpful and friendly. The suggestions for dining out locally and in LaJolla were fantastic. The manager who checked us into the hotel on January 8, 2013 was very professional and offered us an upgrade. The rooms that he gave us were on the corner of the hotel and very private. The first night we were facing Tijuana and the last two nights we faced LaJolla. The balconies were tremendous and situated with a fantastic view of Pacific Beach and the boardwalk. Cameron and Stephanie went out of their way to make sure that we were enjoying ourselves and offered outstanding service and dining/touring suggestions of the surrounding area.

The happy hour was offered at 2 for one. It was very relaxing and comfortable sitting by the pool area with the area heaters and tiki torches lit. The view of the surfers was an added bonus.The homemade cookies were another treat. We loved being able to help ourselves to the flavored fresh fruit water decanters.

Our room was spacious and very clean. The bathroom area was large and nicely appointed in the room. The fridge worked well along with the coffee/tea pot. It was very pleasurable viewing the ocean waves while resting on the bed. The sound of the ocean was just perfect too when the slider was open.

I would return to this hotel tomorrow especially with all it has to offer. One regret is that we didn't get to use the outdoor pool and hot tub. It was open but we were always on the go and didn't make the time. The next time I will surely swim and spend time poolside.

One day, we hope to return with our sons for a family trip to the area. Keep up the great work and you will surely satisfy your guests.

Room Tip: The oceanview rooms are phenomenal
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Just returned from a "Let's relax" vacation with my husband. Our first stop was The Pacific Terrace Hotel on the ocean in San Diego. We arrived late at night, exhausted, confused and 'fuzzy' after a long flight from New York. The front desk clerk McGarrity Harney, put us at ease, and choose a wonderful corner room, beautifully decorated, with a side and front view of the ocean. Just what we needed. McGarrity continued to be of invaluable service regarding directions to local events and sights and great restaurant recommendations. I would recommend this hotel for anyone. We came away refreshed, renewed, relaxed, and calm and happy.

Room Tip: If possible pay a bit extra and get an ocean view room ....well worth it.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple