“Excellent place to stay”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #6 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Very nice hotel in a perfect location with wonderful staff. We stayed here for six nights in January 2013 and we had a wonderful time. The staff is just superb: each and every one of them very friendly, knowledgeable and eager to please, from the cleaning lady to the breakfast lady to the front desk and the valets. Rooms are very nice and fairly big. The beds are huge with big wooden frames so a little hard to get in and out of if you are having some rheumatic issues. Nice shower, comfortable bathrobes, big sink and large area around it. Pool is nice and warm and the hot tub is big. They provide you with towels to the pool in your room which is a nice gesture. The location of the hotel is also perfect. Along a pathway by the beach with wonderful views of the ocean and within walking distance of the pier, shops and very good restaurants. We also booked a massage through the hotel and that was good also. My husband had a massage in our room and my daughter and I had a massage in the fitness room. That massage room was a little tight but it worked out. The fitness room, by the way, is in the basement of the hotel, off the parking garage. Strange location but good equipment. I only have two minor things: we booked a room with two Queen beds and then paid an extra nightly fee to have our daughter joins us. However, the towels, glasses etc. was all for two people and not three. We had to ask for extras on some days and it would have been nice if they would have thought about that. Also, normally we don't watch a lot of movies in our hotel room but on this trip we were fairly busy during the day and tired at night. The movie channel advertises movies that are still in the theater but that is a little deceptive. The movies they had are probably still playing in little $5 movie theaters but are certainly a few months old. We wanted to watch a certain movie and it would have cost us $17.99 (!) which is more than you would pay to see it in a theater on opening weekend!

Room Tip: Ocean view rooms are certainly worth the money; the views are amazing!
3  Thank Desiree2916
Write a ReviewReviews (2,066)

Reviewed January 13, 2013

We had a great experience at the Pacific Terrace. The staff was very friendly and the service was excellent. The location is great. The beach is a few steps from the hotel. Plenty of restaurants, coffee shops and shopping within walking distance. It is a short drive to the Zoo, La Jolla, Sea World and Downtown. My only complaint is that I could hear everything going on in the hallway, which leads me to think that soundproofing through the doors could be improved. Also, since this is a "green" hotel, the A/C would shut off if the motion sensors did not detect movement, so we would get hot during the night unless we got up and moved around.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank chcheese292003
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Our 15 year old son and we visited SD for family weekend at USD. We stayed in a 3rd floor partial ocean view, and the view turned out to be wonderful. There isn't a bad view on the property if you face west.

The staff was top notch. Anything we wanted was delivered to the room very quickly. Our car was available within just a few minutes of when we requested. The front desk staff called us by name and always greeted us.

The pool was always occupied by young children. I am not complaining!! If I expected a hotel or resort that catered to adults, I would have sought one out. The children took advantage of the relatively small pool all day and evening, so if you are looking for a quiet poolside experience, I would choose another hotel. My only gripe is that they also got in the hot tub.

My husband says he would stay here again. It's a great property, but I have one hesitation. The suites, although very clean, are furnished with huge 1980s style bedroom furniture, and there is a 4 inch wooden frame around the entire mattress set. I am not tall, so my knees had to hit those wooden ledges every time I literally climbed into bed, and it was not comfortable.

The property needs an update, but overall, it is very nice.

Room Tip: Don't leave any items on the bed, or else they will skip turn down service.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank soonertourist
Reviewed January 11, 2013

This time, we had a junior suite, which was very spacious. Staff is great. This time we also borrowed the free beach cruiser bikes and had a blast! Definitely spend the extra money to get an ocean view, if it is available.

1  Thank Sarah492
Reviewed January 10, 2013

The staff in this hotel is superbly attentive and friendly. Really top notch. The rooms are immaculate and well-appointed. The free WiFi option--much appreciated! The access to the beach is excellent--just beynd the door to the hotel. And the beach is terrific.

I'm in my second half century, so I found the mattresses to be a little too soft for my aging back. I mentioned this to the hotel management at the end of my stay, and was very politely informed that the hotel would have been pleased to provide a bed board to lend more firmness to the mattress. Now, why didn't I think of that earlier? Anyway, if I had been twenty years younger, I would have loved the mattresses--basically very comfortable. Certainly the rest of my family did.

The neighborhood is oriented toward the youthful--it is not expense account country. A substantial number of reasonably priced restaurants, mostly informal. If you have a hankering for something more expensive/formal, nearby La Jolla beckons. Setting aside the gorgeous beach and sunsets, most people probably will not find the immediate neighborhood to be highly alluring (although, to be honest, we did not check out the nightlife in the area bars--there could be bevies of alluring people there for all we know). As far as we could tell, the neighborhood seemed orderly--no obvious signs of distress. Anyway, you probably will not spend much time at this hotel walking around in the neighborhood--you'll be at the beach, in your room or underway with your vehicle.

Passageways connecting groups of rooms in the hotel are open air. Most of the year, this must be an attractive feature, but in early January, when the nights can be chill, some might find that undesirable. The rooms themselves are cozy. My wife would have preferred warmer transits within the hotel. I did not mind.

Overall, we were very satisfied with the Pacific Terrace, and (now that I have a solution to the soft mattress issue) we would stay at the hotel again. If you like a hotel with staff that is engaging and looking for ways to please you, this is a very strong choice.

Valet parking is $22/day. The alternative, we were told, is street parking.

2  Thank Andlovingit
Reviewed January 9, 2013

First visit to San Diego , this hotel was recommended by friends with kids who had stayed 3 times,
soo glad we decided to stay at the Pacific Terrace Hotel !
It was everything we expected and more , from the moment we arrived we felt at home .
Megan at the front desk was great, offered us an upgrade ...Yeah !
Very spacious room , awesome bathroom , plenty of space for our family of four .
Wonderful staff, amenities , excellent location !!
We will be back for sure !

4  Thank EBuckAustin_Texas
Reviewed January 9, 2013

I selected this hotel based on TripAdvisor reviews. As suggested, we asked for the 3rd floor and had a "partial ocean view" room, which was really an excellent ocean view. The hotel is very nicely decorated and very clean, with a warm, beachy ambiance. The staff is outstanding. The pina colada was the best I've had since Hawaii and the people who work in the restaurant were also very friendly and accommodating. Everyone from the valet to the front desk to the housekeeping staff made us feel like welcomed guests. This was a mom/daughter vacation so having everything go so smoothly was extra special to us. The hotel is close to LaJolla and other places of interest. It was quiet (except for the sound of the ocean waves), relaxing, the beds and bedding were comfortable, the big screen t.v. was nice to have. The housekeeper we had even turned the radio on so when we returned to our room, we were met with music. The breakfast was delicious as were the cookies. As we were leaving, we ran into the General Manager, Bob, who introduced himself and asked if we had a good time. They even had perfect weather for us!

Room Tip: Kids should be on the first floor. We were on the first floor the first night and having kids runni...
2  Thank CAtriper