“Couldn't have been better”

Pacific Terrace Hotel
Ranked #5 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Iowa
“Couldn't have been better”
Reviewed February 25, 2008

I was pleased to find out that the positive reviews for this hotel were valid. I traveled with my husband and 6 year old, we've stayed in plenty of nice and not-so-nice hotels and we were so thankful that we chose the Pacific Terrace. With the numerous online searches available I had originally scoped out a different hotel in SanDiego that we thought would meet our needs, but after reading trip advisor decided that there were too many reviews regarding uncleanliness of rooms and uncomfortable beds, which I will add are my #1 and #2 requirements when choosing a hotel for family travel, (when traveling for relaxation with family it's just not worth it to be uncomfortable). This hotel was very clean, very comfortable (including the beds), and quite peaceful. The friendly staff always greeted us with a smile and a friendly comment when we exited and entered, I think they really like their jobs.
One surprise was the exercise room. When hotel staff mentioned that I had to go through the underground parking lot to get to the exercise facility I was haunted by thoughts of a dingy old room with rusty equipment...to my sincere pleasure it was the exact opposite and absolutely perfect. It has new, clean, well maintained equipment, 3 TV's, free weights and machines - it is a small room but has everything you need for a vacation work out, even a scale & restroom with shower.
The breakfast (with plenty of healthy choices) and wine reception are a great way to start and end a relaxing day.
Don't worry about no shuttle and don't bother with the "hotel' driver. [I was concerned about whether to rent a car or choose a hotel with the optional shuttles available (hotel shuttle was originally was my # 3 hotel requirement for this family vacation) - but I am happy we chose to rent a car and I recommend it merely because SanDiego is pretty easy to get around and most importantly for the freedom to explore what you want when you want... also renting the booster for our child with the car rental avoided putting him in taxis or vans with inappropriate or no seatbelt. We did the usual SanDiego stuff - the Zoos, SeaWorld, the beach,... but we passionately enjoyed our family vacation when we ventured off the beaten path, for example we visited the beautiful Torrey Pines area and toured a few of the nearby vineyards, which included a fun educational opportunity and often wine tasting's for the adults.]

The hotel is surrounded by many types of food and restaurant choices, the room service is a nice option, but we had a great time going for walks (or driving around in our rental car) to explore the area while choosing our next meal. - Konos, Gringos, many Thai, and Japanese options to name a few of our favorites. It was assuring to find that the photos shown on the hotel website are true representations of the rooms and the hotel. Because we vacationed during the off-season we were able to experience this hotel at a reasonable rate, which was much appreciated! In my opinion Pacific Beach area, in general, has a rough-around-the-edges reputation, but what we found is that it's a genuine area with real people - we loved the area and the Pacific Terrace Hotel!! My only fear is that our Pacific Terrace Hotel experience was too good to be true and when we go back we'll discover it was all a dream. However, we will go back!

• Liked — waking up to the sounds of the ocean
  • Disliked — We were very happy with Pacific Terrace, turned off with the daily Additional Parking fee
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank RAGBRAI_rocks

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (582)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
UK
Reviewed February 15, 2008

The family ocean view rooms are very dissapointing ,no view of the ocean .The rooms are situated on the corners of the hotel building on the ground floor,So the view is of shrubs and a public footpath.

• Stayed August 2007, traveled with family
1 Thank gwants
Chicago
Reviewed February 10, 2008

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace in San Diego from 2-2-08 through 2-6-08. I have to say that this hotel is the cleanest beach hotel I have every stayed in. We had an ocean view room. It was a little smaller than I expected, but the view was absolutely beautiful. The maid service cleans your room twice a day: once in the morning, and once in the evening for turn down service. They do a great job. We brought our two toddlers and they brought their stuffed animals. The kids were so happy when we came back to our room at night to find our bed turned down, and their little stuffed animals propped up on pillows next to chocolates. The entire staff was very nice. I read reviews about them being so young, which is true, they were all young, but they were all very knowledgable, professional and exceptionally helpful.
The continental breakfast was very good, and it was great to have fresh Starbucks coffee, tea, lemonade and iced water available all day long.
Overall, our experience with this hotel was great. I only have one thing that I would warn about. The preferred driver service for the hotel. First, I want to say that Carlos was a very nice man. He was very insightful about San Diego, and told us about the best places for food and sight seeing. We spoke with the driver before we booked his service. He said he would have a car seat for us, and we do not need to bring one. When he picked us up from the airport, he came early and was in a very clean, beautiful car, but the car seat was only an infant carrier. Needless to say, I couldnt fit either of my children in it, so I had to buckle them in and pray to God that our ride would be short. Carlos does not use turn signals. Nor does he turn his head to check traffic before switching lanes or come to slow stop at traffic lights. We had planned on using him for all of our excursions, but after the ride from the airport, I was too afraid to use him. We didnt reserve a rental because we had everything planned out with the driver service. We called cab services in San Diego, but none had car seats available. We ended up taking a bus to Sea World. On the bus were a couple of local homeless people. We walked everywhere else. It rained all day on Sunday, and we were stuck inside the hotel with nothing to do but watch tv. It is not entirely Carlos' fault. He said that he had a car seat that we could use during our stay if we used his service, but he didnt know how big our kids were. When we asked him if he had a different car seat, he told us that was all he had. My very strong advice is to rent a car with car seats, or bring your own if you plan on traveling with your small children.

• Liked — The view was amazing.
  • Disliked — We should have done our research about the driver service, and had a back up.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank jenny277
Oregon
Reviewed January 29, 2008

We just returned from seven nights at this hotel. We traveled with our three children and all of us loved our time there. We have told everyone they have to stay here when in San Diego! The hotel is small, yet very nice, and close to everything.; Seaworld, La Jolla, and convenient to get to I-5. The beach is great-and easy to get to. Breakfast was great, wine between 4-5 pm, extra towels and chocolate every evening, and the pool was almost as warm as the hot tub! Our view was great of the beach and boardwalk, I believe every room has a view of either the beach, the pool, or both. Staff was extra friendly and accomodating!! We will stay here again everytime we are in the area.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
4 Thank coacheswifeOregon
Kansas City
Reviewed January 27, 2008

This was a wonderful hotel in San Diego right on the beach! I have a 2 year old and it was perfect to walk down to the beach or swim in the heated pool in January. I am not a cold person and even though it was only in the 60's you could definately swim! We were upgraded to a junior suite with a partial ocean view for a small fee (I think like $20). We stayed in room 302 and it had a beautiful view of the coastline. The balcony doors you could leave open and listen to the waves. The hotel has several restaurants that deliver to the hotel. Gringo's is a really good! Hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. Great stay and we would definately stay here again.

• Liked — The ocean view
  • Disliked — leaving to come home to snow and a temp of 17!
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled on business
5 Thank bruiserjohnson
Chillicothe, Ohio
Reviewed January 20, 2008

We stayed at the Pacific Terrace Hotel from January 15 to 19, 2008. We chose it because of the glowing reviews and because it enjoyed a Tripadvisor #1 rating. I agree with the reviews citing all the good points. The hotel is very well located with an excellent view of the ocean and beach area. It is convenient to all areas north and south. The services, accommodations and personnel are top-notch. The downside is that it is pricey and on top of the room rate, if you use the parking garage on site, it will cost another $20.00 per day. Room tax and a "San Diego Marketing and Tourism Assessment" will add another $45 or $50 dollars per day onto the bill. also, in colder weather, the breakfast area can get quite crowded; in warmer weather this would not be a problem, as there are a number of nice tables outside near the pool. All in all, it is a super-nice place if you can handle the cost.

• Liked — Location, view, quality of accommodation and service
  • Disliked — Cost, crowded breakfast area
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Toofaraway
Utah
Reviewed January 15, 2008

We just got back from this hotel and had a great time! We stayed in a Partial ocean view room with 2 queen beds. They had a 42" plasma tv with HD channels and an ipod adaptable stereo. There were a few things missing though. There was no mirror in the bathroom (there was on with a sink outside the bathroom) and there was no hair dryer. I do agree with other reviews that you can hear people out in the hall. We could also hear the people above us get up at 3 am to feed their baby. Otherwise we had a great expeirence. The view was wonderful (ask for the South side of the hotel) and the breakfast was pretty good as long as you take it back to your room and watch the ocean while eating. The staff treated us well and even recommended we use thier preffered driver to get to the airport. It was 10 dollars cheaper than a cab and we were driven in a black mercedes.

I would and have already recommed this hotel.

• Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple