“Great location, nice place”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #116 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 9, 2013

This is a 3-4 star hotel, but it was better than I expected. We went there because of the good price, and because it was in a great location within San Diego, the Gaslamp Quarter. Only issue was the lack of counter space in the bathroom.

Room Tip: there's some street noise, so get a higher room if you're a light sleeper
Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Reviewed August 9, 2013

When we arrived at the hotel, there was no one to help us with the luggage.
I booked this hotel on Booking.com $687excl taxes for 3 nights!!!! and the room on the picture was NOT the one we got. It was not spacious like on the picture and the corridor/ entrance "wall" is glass with a door. I know this is a historical building but think the people raving about this place could not have stayed in our room. Very disappointing !!!
I AM SORRY I DID NOT LIKE THIS PLACE AT ALL - the room was so small with a double bed (small). They would not waive the first night charges and we had to pay. Booking.com asked them if they will give us a credit and they refused.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 23, 2013

Dear Guest,
I have read your review and I am sorry we didn't meet your expectations. I looked into this and you made a reservation for a one bedroom suite through booking.com, as mentioned, in your review. The photo of the room type you were checked into is displayed as the 4th photo in booking.com photo gallery. This is a photo of the bedroom which is equipped with a queen size bed. The living room area is not displayed, but that room is equipped with a sofa sleeper. We are a Historical Landmark, listed in the register of Historic Places. We are trying to preserve the originality of the building and therefore all of our guest rooms have entrance doors with glass panels. Once again, I am very sorry you were disappointed and that you decided to check out. I hope you did find another suitable accommodating and that you enjoyed your stay in San Diego.

Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

Great location & great staff. Room was outdated and the carpet very dirty - not at all what I expected after looking at pics on the website. Breakfast on the rooftop ok : great views, very basic food.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Vivimilie
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded August 20, 2013

Dear Guest,

I am a little puzzled as to what pictures you are referring to. All of our photos on our web site are current and true. All of our rooms have been completely remodeled, the last two floors being finished as late as March of this year. If you didn't view the photos on our own web site, I would welcome you to contact me so I know what web site you are referring to.
Thank you!

Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Don't reserve a small studio. You will end up with a full sized bed (even though we requested Queen) that barely fits in the closet they call a room that doesnt have even a closet. We could hear club music all night. Our view was of a dark ugly alley. We complained about the size of the room and were never given anything better. Jennifer and Sean (manager) were unhelpful and didn't care. We liked the location and the rooftop only. We took a refund after the first night since they were unable or did not want to provide a bigger room for the week. If you stay here you have to book a suite or don't stay at all. Warning the pastries are inedible so you need to like Cheerios or raisin bran for breakfast.

• Stayed: August 2013
3  Thank Waterlilyrose

First of all, I am sorry to hear you didn't enjoy your stay with us. We offer many different kind of rooms. The room type you reserved is the smallest of the rooms we offer and it comes with either a full or a queen size bed. We will always try to adhere to any request of bed size but there are times we just can't accommodate all requests, as we would like to . The small studio does face the back of our building so there is no view. The price on this small studio is also less than all of our other rooms. We have many guests that want this type of room due to the much lower price than the other rooms we offer. It does come with all the amenities we have in the other rooms except for that the size, as you mentioned, is small. So again I am sorry you didn't enjoy your stay with us. If there is anything else I can do for you, don't hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in June and had a great time, everything about the hotel for the price we paid was extremely good. Booked 2 mini suites and they were awesome. One of my adult sons has autism and he coped with the hotel and its surroundings, we managed to park just opposite using our temporary disabled placard. Hotel staff were ok but you only really see them on reception.The situation of the Hotel is excellent, we visited the zoo, balboa park, old town, Cabrrillo monument, La jolla, seaport village, Carlsbad and other attractions. All of which are within easy reach of the Hotel.
It is at night time where the location of the Hotel comes into its own, great affordable restaurants and bars a few minutes walk away.
Didn't care much for the wine bar below the PLaza suites but its not for everybody.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed July 30, 2013 via mobile

I lived in this hotel for three nights in the middle of July. The rooms are spacious and really nicely furnished. I see some reviewers have complained about noise from the street but that was no problem for me or my friends. The breakfast view on the top floor was better than the food. That said the view is really good! The valet parking is affordable at 30$ a night and the front desk were helpful. No free wifi, though!
I got the rooms at a fraction of what I believe this hotel to be worth which may have increased my enjoyment of the stay. Overall though, the gaslamp plaza is a really good hotel!

• Stayed: July 2013
1  Thank Sindrelh

Thank you for your very nice review of our hotel. I am glad you felt the Gaslamp Plaza Suites were a good value for price paid.
Welcome back!

Reviewed July 30, 2013

Overall we had a great experience. This hotel is located steps away from great shopping and restaurants. We were on the second floor and booked the least expensive room. The bed was only a full but for the price we were fine with it. The rooftop terrace is great and we were able to take a bottle of wine up there and enjoy the view before dinner. The staff was extremely helpful and friendly. I will definitely stay at this hotel again and recommend it to all travelers wanting to stay in the Gaslamp quarter.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple