“Good location and views from the rooftop”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #133 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
sydney
“Good location and views from the rooftop”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We stayed in a one bedroom suite as a family of 4. Unlike other reviewers, we had no issues with the noise, and our room was on level 3. It's a beautiful building and eating breakfast on the roof is just lovely. Breakfast itself is pretty light on - but it does stop the tummy rumbles and gives you an excuse to stop for morning tea. No problems with the room itself - you get what you pay for. Merry's overview of what to do / see / eat whilst in San Diego whilst we ate breakfast was great - she is a real asset to the property.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (150)
  • Finnish first
  • Slovak first
Mission Viejo, California, United States
Reviewed June 15, 2013

My Husband and I love visiting the Gaslamp Suites. The Staff is great, A big shout out to Merry, go on her walking tour. We have returned a few times. Always treated great. You are able to walk and enjoy downtown, You feel like you have stepped back in time.

Room Tip: If you can help it, don't bring your car. Parking is $30/day, Some of the hotel rooms are very s...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Orihuela, Spain
Reviewed June 13, 2013

We stayed in a mini suite which comprised of a lounge area, mini kitchen area, bedroom area and bathroom. It was very comfortable and had everything we needed, staff were very friendly and helpful especially Merry on the reception desk. The hotel is in a great location, right in the heart of the Gaslamp quarter which is full of bars and restaurants catering to most tastes. Horton Plaza shopping centre is a couple of blocks away and has all you need for a bit of retail therapy. Only downside was cost of parking at 30 dollars a day however we did not rent a car and can honestly say that we did not need one. We went everywhere we wanted to on public transport e.g. the zoo, Seaworld, Balboa park, you can get tickets for anything from 1 day to 1 month and we felt it was really good value for money.

Room Tip: Probably best with a higher room as they can be some street noise especially at weekends.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Rosario
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Location is the best thing about this hotel, as it's centrally located and you can go walking to all the areas to visit while in San Diego. Room is old in terms of decor and furniture, but well maintained. And it counts with a rooftop little bar that provides excellent views.

Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California, United States
Reviewed May 6, 2013

We arrived on Cinco De Mayo, 2013, at about 5:30pm. We pulled up to the valet. The valet attendant told us it costs $30 for the valet parking. I asked if there are any other options. He suggested that I could park at the Horton Plaza for $10 a night instead, and directed me to how to get there (just around the block). Had the valet worker not suggested that I park at the Horton Plaza, I never would have done so.

The next day Horton Plaza charges me $20 for the overnight parking, because I only stayed 1 night at a downtown hotel. It was the Gaslamp Plaza Suites valet guy who suggested that I park there. I called the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and asked them to straighten it out, and they said they could not help me and that it was not their problem. Finally, the valet department asked me to come down to the Gaslamp Plaza Suites and that they would straighten it out. I ran back, IN THE HEAVY RAIN, only to be told again that it was not their problem and that they had no control on what someone else charges. They even denied that anyone who worked there ever told me to park there, smugly and rudely saying "none of our guys would have ever said that". Well, in fact, one did, the day prior.

Yeah, I know the Horton Plaza is a separate company. The point is that it was a valet worker at Gaslamp Plaza Suites that told me that I could park at the Horton Plaza for $10, and actually SUGGESTED THAT I DO SO. I had no way of knowing that it would be $20. Based on this faulty information (and considering, especially, that I paid over $300 for the room for one night!), the VERY LEAST that Gaslamp Plaza Suites could have done was to reimburse me the $10. Instead, they smugly told me it was not their problem, seemed totally indifferent to the fact that I was soaked from head to toe from running around in the rain based on direction from the Gaslamp Plaza Suites valet attendant, and showed absolutely no care or concern for a customer that just dumped $300+ into their hotel.

$10 is not a lot in the modern world. It is the total disrespect for a hotel guest that bothered me. Prior to this incident, I could have given this hotel at least a 4 star rating. I visit San Diego several times a year. I will never stay at this place again, and now they get a 1 star review on TripAdvisor. It would have been well worth it for them if they would have apologized for the inconvenience, treated their guests with concern and respect, took responsibility for the faulty information, and reimburse me $10 measly dollars.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Karsten1776
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, May 10, 2013
Dear guest,

I am sorry you felt our customer service were not up to your standards. I have spoken with the staff concerned and was informed you had told us upon check out that you enjoyed your stay with us. In regards to the parking, we do only have control over our own parking. Yes, we do provide valet parking for an overnight charge of $30.00 per night with unlimited in/out privileges. The parking is optional and if the guest chooses to park elsewhere that’s of course not a problem. The valet you had spoken with on Sunday informed me that yes, you had indicated you didn’t want to park with us and asked for alternatives. In an effort to provide you with these alternatives, he had informed you about several alternatives and said that one of the alternatives was the Horton Plaza parking garage. He had told you that the rate had been $10.00 there previously but that he wasn’t sure if that were the case now and for you to verify. Since we have no way to keep up with all the different rates in the various parking lots and garages we went over to the Horton Plaza’s parking structure and found that there are signs both when you drive in as well as next to the ticket machine informing that “The evening flat rate is $20.00”. Once again, I am sorry that you didn’t feel we handled this correctly. I can assure you that we do take all complaints seriously and try to solve them best way we can.
Western Australia
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I stayed in a mini suite and I recommend anyone looking at this hotel to do the same. The room was large and very comfortable. The location was geat, close to cool bars and places to eat. Also it is close enough to walk to places like Petco Park to catch a baseball game or walk down to the harbour to have a tour on the USS Midway.
I really enjoyed my stay and can't wait to come back next year!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this review, May 7, 2013
Dear Guest,
We are so happy that you had a wonderful stay with us. We always strive to make every guests stay as memorable as we can. We look forward having you come back soon again.