“Perfect position for San Diego life”

Gaslamp Plaza Suites
Ranked #125 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Walking down Broadway to 5th Street was easy when arriving at the station, then one road down to E Street.
The reception was excellent, the room was refurbished but retained the styling of the 1920's. All hall ways and lift have the same style. A very comfortable hotel, continental breakfast is on the top floor with wonderful views across the city. Early mornings in full sun made the start of the day worth getting up for.
The postition in the Gas Lamp district was great for getting about. Walking into the shop and cafe area was good for just wandering about. then down the end of 5th street to the Convention Centre or back up to Broadway and back past the station to the dock area.
Trams and buses made getting around very easy - worth visiting - ferry to Coronado and the hotel, Old Town, Balboa Park. it's a great city to visit

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Gaslamp Plaza Suites

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This hotel was full of charm and character. It was previously an office building and the new owners maintained many of the old building's fixtures. The check in staff were friendly and the valet service was quick. The room was very comfortable and nicely furnished. The view from the rooftop is stunning and the space is perfect to relax and read. The location is at the top of the Gaslamp area and there is a large assortment of restaurants to frequent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I believe some people will love this hotel or hate it. Those who love it will appreciate the décor. Those who hate it will say it is old. I am not sure about all the suites but mine has 2 full bathrooms. The bedroom is separated and connected to the living room by a hallway. Each room (bedroom and living room)has one large television screen. The mattresses are firm but comfortable. I love the fact that convenience stores and the shopping mall are close. Minimal staff to help but they try hard. The rooftop has a gorgeous view of the city and you have this view every morning for breakfast.

Room Tip: higher floors are probably quieter.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed April 6, 2013

...and I live in Vegas and travel quite often..... I am not one to post reviews, but I have to in this instance. Bottom line is anyone who would stay anywhere else in San Diego would regret it..... The hotel itself......the detail that has gone into every aspect of the decor is extravagant.....marble walls, tile floors, even the ceiling is trimmed out....very much a boutique/Dick Tracy/prohibition look....ever been able to say the pics of a place are not accurate? In this case they are or do not do the place justice...very clean and authentic..... there is a patio deck on the roof with a breathtaking view of the city and the harbor....no wear or tear anywhere in the room.... little things like near-instant hot water from the faucet, a high pressure shower head that someone 6' 3" would not have to crouch to get under, flat screen wall mounted tv with free premium channels, not only a microwave and fridge but also dishes, stemware and utensils.... The service was also excellent. Their concierge service gave several great recommendations and even directly scheduled a dinner cruise...with a substantial discount..... everyone was friendly and extremely helpful.... The location....... 5th and E.......right where you want to be......restaurants, shopping, convention center, trolley etc...all right outside the hotel. We never needed the car after valeting it when we arrived. I will never stay anywhere else again in San Diego. Anyone who would post a negative review about this hotel is lying or has an ulterior motive........

Room Tip: the mini-suites....the pics do not do them justice.......
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Rob P
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 16, 2013

Thank YOU. We cannot get a better review and recommendation than this. We so look forward having you come back and stay with us. Looking forward seeing you soon!

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The property was beautifully maintained. The staff was always friendly and proud of their work. It really make you feel good about your choice of lodging. Sean and mary at the desk were true professionals. All the housekeeping staff was great to work with. A great hotel in a fantastic area of San Diego We will refer to friends and family. Can't wait to return soon

• Stayed: March 2013
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This hotel was awesome! We got a great price and loved the room. Great location, close to restaurants and the convention center. The room was clean and comfortable. I loved the sitting area next to the big window. The hotel is very old and has a lot of the original marble, which is beautiful. Breakfast was disappointing, nothing hot to eat. Staff was nice. I accidentally left my watch, and housekeeping turned it in so I could get it back. Impressed with the honesty. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

I am happy we could assist you in getting your watch back. We do have an excellent housekeeping department, thank you for recognizing their hard work and honesty. We do look forward having you stay with us again.

Reviewed March 17, 2013 via mobile

I arrived at this hotel late last night (I'm staying here on business) and was greeted at the front door by a uniformed security guard, which was my first red flag. As I was waiting what seemed like forever to complete the check-in process I was almost defeaned by the music coming from the nightclub downstairs. When I finally got to my room, the nightmare continued. This place hasn't been decorated since 1986, there's a musty smell and the polyester sheets on the supremely uncomfortable sheets left me itchy all over. The bathrooms are incredibly old and in dire need of updating. Also, there is no mini-bar, room service or gym. Whoever gave this dump high ratings previously clearly travels very little. This is easily one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in (and I travel frequently on business) and I wouldn't recommend it to my worst enemy.

• Stayed: March 2013
3  Thank Yasamin M
madeleine k, Manager at Gaslamp Plaza Suites, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2013

Dear guest,
As always, I appreciate when a guest gives us feed back, both good and bad. This since we strive to make sure all of our guests are enjoying their stay with us. I am sorry we didn't live up to your expectations. You arrived on St. Patrick's Day when the Gaslamp Quarter Association were hosting a St. Patrick's Day block party. There was a stage close to our hotel so the music could be heard from there. The night club in our building was not open that day. Our location is in the middle of the Gaslamp Quarter and due to the amount of people expected for this block party, we wanted to make sure our guests were well taken care of and had therefore staffed with a security guard in our lobby.
This building is a historical landmark, listed in the National register for historical places, and we are preserving the building accordingly. All of our rooms have been completely remodeled. The last two floors were finished just 4 weeks ago. Once again, I am sorry you did not enjoy your stay with us but I do hope you enjoyed your visit to San Diego in general.
If there is anything I can do for you, please contact me directly.