“Don't be fooled by the name!”
Review of Cowboy Star

Cowboy Star
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowboy Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #237 of 4,873 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market and G Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley Blue Line and Orange Line: exit "Park and Market" Public Buses 5, 901, and 929 stop half a block from our front door on 10th Avenue.
Description: Cowboy Star is the first restaurant in San Diego’s East Village to serve up a unique dining experience by combining contemporary American cuisine with a western flare. Winner of the 2008 Orchid Award for Interior Design, the restaurant features exposed beam ceilings‚ cowboy accents‚ and classic landscape photography giving Cowboy Star a welcoming atmosphere where locals gravitate.A stunning display kitchen is the focal point of Cowboy Star, offering an insiders view of the action. The bar at Cowboy Star offers a stylish and cozy environment complete with large leather booths, a fireplace and hand-crafted cocktails. The Old West ambiance provides a laid-back and stylish background perfect for private parties and special events.
Reviewed February 17, 2014

Terrific atmosphere, service, first rate steaks - even sea food. Excellent wine selections that won't require refinancing your house. Nice touch: order a glass of wine, they will pour a small amount for guest approval before pouring the rest. Fabulous deserts. Health conscious diners: there is something for you, even berries and sorbet for desert. Easy walk from most downtown hotels.

Reviewed January 27, 2014

This is one of the best steak restaurants I have been to. Seating is mainly banquet style which makes it a bit difficult to hear across the table, but this was a sophisticated restaurant with high standards. I had a filet steak which was perfectly cooked, very tender and superb accompanying sauce. The mashed potato was fine and the beans were lightly cooked and tasty. The simple presentation made the most of what was an excellent steak dish. My impression was that my fellow diners also were pleased with their dishes. The pear tartin lacked that slight tartness to blend with the sweetness and the pears slices could have been a bit softer and it would have been better served in a wide brimmed dish, but nevertheless it was fine and tasty. The starter salad was also very nicely blended tastes and subtle dressing. This was one of the best American meals I have had. I'd certainly return. It represents adequate value considering the quality at $284 excl tip for 2 starters, 4 entrees , 2 desserts and one bottle of wine. Service was efficient and fairly unobtrusive, though why the waiters fuss about with every crumb, thereby interrupting conversation. I don't know. Overall an excellent meal, albeit for a price!

Reviewed January 21, 2014

Contemporary decor, comfortable ambience, slightly upscale with a just a touch of old west accents. Very comfortable booths in addition to the tables. Fireplaces, too. Relatively quiet atmosphere.
I have known about this place for months and viewed the interior, and noted the adjoining small butcher shop, and prices. Restaurant week triggered my first dining experience here. Despite it being at the high end of the price range for the restaurant week lunch, I decided to bite the bullet... hoping to be rewarded with a good lunch, and I was not disappointed.
The restaurant week menu turned out to be somewhat limited, and, when I noticed the reasonable prices on the very extensive and appetizing regular luncheon menu I opted out of the restaurant week selections. We began with sourdough bread (other choices are wheat bread and molasses bread). The regular menu lunch entree section listed a Butcher's Cut, which turned out to be a tri-tip, and it was delicious (perfectly cooked to medium-rare). Rather than slices of tri-tip to which I am accustomed, I received three substantially sized pieces which I came to appreciate as it allows the diner to slice the pieces according to his own taste. The tri-tip comes with creamed spinach with house cured bacon, roasted fingerling potatoes and beef jus. I am confident those accompaniments would have been delicious, but, at my request a tasty salad with vinaigrette dressing was substituted. The price for my regular menu lunch was less than the restaurant week luncheon (three courses and no substitutions). The service was excellent -- very professional, attentive and responsive, yet not in the least intrusive. I observed a lobster Cobb salad that looked beautiful with a sizeable piece of lobster. I am looking forward to dining here again soon as I would very much like to try the beef tartare, and several other appetizing items on the menu.
The East Village location is a bit out of the restaurant mainstream for this level of restaurant. The facade (mid-block) is understated, and one could pass by without noticing it. The meal, however, is memorable. I found the restaurant's website to be very interesting. It can be found at "thecowboystar.com"

Reviewed January 13, 2014

This is my favorite spot in San Diego! GREAT food and service!!!! Don't forget to have a cosmo while you are there!

Reviewed January 11, 2014

Fresh baked bread, excellent steak, good Mac & Cheese. Good portions. Not one of my favorites ever, but a very very solid entry with good service and an elegant but hospitable atmosphere.

Been to Cowboy Star? Share your experiences!