“Meat Lover's paradise!”
Review of Cowboy Star

Cowboy Star
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowboy Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #271 of 4,832 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Bar scene, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market and G Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley Blue Line and Orange Line: exit "Park and Market" Public Buses 5, 901, and 929 stop half a block from our front door on 10th Avenue.
Description: Cowboy Star is the first restaurant in San Diego’s East Village to serve up a unique dining experience by combining contemporary American cuisine with a western flare. Winner of the 2008 Orchid Award for Interior Design, the restaurant features exposed beam ceilings‚ cowboy accents‚ and classic landscape photography giving Cowboy Star a welcoming atmosphere where locals gravitate.A stunning display kitchen is the focal point of Cowboy Star, offering an insiders view of the action. The bar at Cowboy Star offers a stylish and cozy environment complete with large leather booths, a fireplace and hand-crafted cocktails. The Old West ambiance provides a laid-back and stylish background perfect for private parties and special events.
Reviewed September 18, 2013

We dined here for Restaurant week. Service was very good (Thanks to Jason!)
We started with the Beef Tartar apetizer. I've never tried this and it was completely different than what I thought it would be. It was kind of like a pate in consistancy, the beef was ground with spices and had a tiny quail egg on top. Not something I would ever order on my own, very rich, but I did enjoy the one little bite I tried. I had the salad for my first course, followed by the petite filet. The salad was good-a nice light vinagrette dressing. The filet was very good and cooked perfectly. Just the right amount of char on the outside, but still rare inside as I had requested. My husband had the Kobe beef-I thought this was rather gamey tasting, almost like an exotic meat, but it was cooked to perfection. The vegetables were "al dente" but we did not like them. They tasted like basically raw veggies that had been made hot. You dont' go to cowboy star for the veggies though! Deserts were just okay-not a lot of flavor and definitely not rich. Lemon cake was dry and the bread pudding was bland. Our dining companions ordered the cheese plate for desert, which everyone raved about being wonderful. Atmophere was great-just what you would want from a steak place-rich leather booths, low lighting-lovely place. For restaurant week we paid $40 for the 4 courses (starter, main and dessert) and they gave a complimentary amuse bouche. I was going to just order off the menu, as I can't eat dessert, but just for a steak it was more than the price of the restaurant week-a real bargain.

There are newer reviews for Cowboy Star

Reviewed September 8, 2013

This small, intimate steak house is located on the very eastern edge of the Gaslamp district - in an area that hasn't yet fully gentrified. But don't avoid this wonderful upscale boutique steakhouse. With its wooden beamed ceilings, open kitchen and dimmed lighting the atmosphere was perfect. The food matched - with an onsite butcher, and with grass fed ranch sourced beef from across the US will satisfy any carnivore. Starters were all good and reasonably priced (Caeser $9). We thoroughly enjoyed all the food, but the skirt steak ($37) was the most surprising hit. The Bone in ribeye was $46. We split both main courses - which was more than ample food. The only part of the meal that let us down was the homemade cherry pie ($14) - the crust was not great and the filling was too dry - but we didn't come here for that, so I'm, still awarding 5-star.

The wine list was also reasonable - with some less common choices. We enjoyed a great red from Walla Walla, WA ($80). Free street parking. Reservations available via common online booking site. There is a small outdoor street side patio - not really for dinner - more for drinks.

2  Thank LondonUnveiled
Reviewed September 5, 2013

We went here for our anniversery on the reccomendation of our hotel. It was expensive but a great experience. The decor is class steakhouse but not overdone. The service was outstanding. The menu was varied but steak was the star. We had a T-bone and a ribeye and both were outstanding The flavor great and it stood on its own no sauce necessary. A perfect place for a special day.

1  Thank BobE6
Reviewed September 5, 2013

This is hands down one of the best restaurants in San Diego. You can't go wrong with their steaks and their sides are killer. Bread pudding is the bomb. Very unique atmosphere, its pretty cozy. Ask for a booth.
They have delicious cocktails that are very unique, a beautiful bar area, and a great happy hour as well.

1  Thank mms9k
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This outstanding restaurant in the East Village / Gaslamp area of Downtown San Diego should not be missed. The menu has recently gone though some change and you can now order a chef's tasting menu as well. If you like craft cocktails, one of their bartenders was recently recognized as one of the best in the city. A very courteous, knowledgeable and professional wait staff.

Been to Cowboy Star? Share your experiences!