“Cows taste good!”
Review of Cowboy Star

Cowboy Star
Reserve with OpenTable
Cowboy Star is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #246 of 4,773 Restaurants in San Diego
Good for: Local cuisine, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Downtown
Cross street: Market and G Street
Transit: San Diego Trolley Blue Line and Orange Line: exit "Park and Market" Public Buses 5, 901, and 929 stop half a block from our front door on 10th Avenue.
Description: Cowboy Star is the first restaurant in San Diego’s East Village to serve up a unique dining experience by combining contemporary American cuisine with a western flare. Winner of the 2008 Orchid Award for Interior Design, the restaurant features exposed beam ceilings‚ cowboy accents‚ and classic landscape photography giving Cowboy Star a welcoming atmosphere where locals gravitate.A stunning display kitchen is the focal point of Cowboy Star, offering an insiders view of the action. The bar at Cowboy Star offers a stylish and cozy environment complete with large leather booths, a fireplace and hand-crafted cocktails. The Old West ambiance provides a laid-back and stylish background perfect for private parties and special events.
San Diego
“Cows taste good!”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

If you're going to eat meat, this is the place to do it, and I'd you're going to splurge a little, go "Oscar style" (crab, asparagus, bearnaise).

Valencia, California, United States
“Just okay”
Reviewed October 29, 2012

My husband and I met a friend here for dinner. Cute atmosphere, I was expecting a fun evening. Our waiter was a bit pompous and kind of put a damper on the experience. The food was good, nothing spectacular, had a better wine in my hotel bar but the bottle was a suggestion by the waiter. It was a fun evening, had it been a special romantic dinner I would have been disappointed. The filet was good cooked perfectly, the New York strip was a bit fatty. Brussels sprouts really good and Mac and cheese was just okay. I would say its probably worth a try could have just an off night for them but I don't think I would go back.

Visited October 2012
Fort Lauderdale FL USA
“Not only great for steak”
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Our server was knowledgeable about the wine list and menu. The recommended wine paired nicely with our meal. We started with the pork belly appetizer served with delicious chard. The daily special house smoked bacon mac and cheese was rich and flavorful. We each had the boneless rib eye medium rare. They slightly undercook steaks and are upfront about that in their menu. The meat was well seasoned, perfectly cooked, and well marbled. No room for dessert but the menu offered many choices.

New York City, New York
“Fantastic Filet”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

My friends and I went here for dinner. They have a good gluten free menu and my friend was not sick after so that means it is safe. The filet steak was fabulous and Mushroom bisque soup wonderful. It may seem pricey to some but well worth it.

Visited October 2012
Ventenac-en-Minervois, France
“Yeehaw to a whole new level for pork belly!”
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I had a perfect evening at Cowboy Star! The cocktails are wildly adventurous and artfully served. Everything was deliciously prepared and timing between courses was right on! The crispy pork belly appetizer was a delight. I wished they served it as an entree it was that good. My ribeye was the epitome of a grass fed, locally sourced, prime beef steak. Some might say that they are too fatty, but there in lays the fully bodied rich flavor the big chains just can't mass market. Our server was well educated on the menu and wine list and all in all we couldn't have made a better choice to dine at for our one night layover in San Diego. Yeehaw to the Cowboy Star!

• Visited September 2012

Been to Cowboy Star? Share your experiences!