All reviews point loma shelter island solar panels underground parking the san diego skyline walking distance safe area third floor place to stay clean rooms home away from home motel bay mirror sofa sd downtown
Reviewed February 4, 2018

This place was less than desirable. The room was old, tired, and worn, along with everything in it. Everything was shabby and just unpleasant. The duvet cover had several obvious stains. It was a non-smoking room, and I don't smoke at all, but I kept smelling cigarette smoke in the bathroom. I kept the door shut and that seemed to help. There were tattered, ratty, mismatched hangers on a dowel for a closet. I didn't need a closet for just 1 night, but the hangers were just another factor in the place being unprofessional and distasteful. I admit I was looking for something less expensive for the night, but this was a place that I think should have cost half as much as it did. This was the worst experience I can recollect having in years. And I travel a lot. I feel the review score is inappropriately inflated. I would not stay again nor recommend anyone else stay.
Positives--Check in was smooth and easy. Staff were kind. The TV was nice and there was a small refrigerator and a microwave.

Date of stay: January 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled solo
Pt_Loma2, Guest Relations Manager at Cabrillo Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 22, 2018

Thank you for the feedback. We are very sorry that your stay was not what you expected and we wish you the best.

Reviewed December 27, 2017

I posted a review back on July 14th and gave this property a glowing review based on my first and only stay at Cabrillo Inn. Recently spent two nights there and could not believe that this was the same hotel. The room was dirty and took pictures should the management wish to view them. Toilet Bowl Lid - Broken into 2 pieces. The towel rack/shelve had not been cleaned in some time and under one of the towels found a beer can shaped into a cigarette ash tray. The curtains had numerous holes and some pretty large. In the bathroom found a electrical box with no cover and wires exposed. Finally Housekeeping left human hair in the tub and walls. Management still very friendly, WiFi perfect, large selections of T.V. channels including HBO and SHOWTIME. As one reviewer mentioned the "Free Breakfast is nothing more than a pastry cut into small pieces and coffee. Parking has not changed it is underground and really meant for compact cars. I would suggest rather than driving underground and finding you cannot turn around and then having to back up to the street cut to the chase and park on the street adjacent to hotel. I am not a picky person but do expect a certain level of cleanliness. To summarize if PRICE-LOCATION is your number 1 priority then this hotel is fine, if on the other hand the condition of the room is on the top of your list probably not a place to stay, The management needs to upgrade their housekeeping department and check the rooms before renting them out.

Room tip: Avoid room 309 and from other reviews pick a room that other reviewers gave positive review.
Date of stay: December 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled solo

We thank you for the feedback and we are very sorry that you were let down, we have replaced many things at this hotel and the past year and a half, and now we are on Social Media ad taking our reviews seriously, however we are a limited service hotel and we do our best to keep a clean and comfortable hotel. We invite you to come back and stay and check it out. Thanks again for the information.

Reviewed December 22, 2017 via mobile

Stay here all the time. Very friendly staff and comfortable rooms. Its my home away from home during my busy fishing season.The management team here is superb.always friendly and available. Rooms are clean and comfortable and centrally located to everything.

Date of stay: October 2017
Trip type: Traveled solo

Thank you so much, we are now on Social Media and wanted to say thanks and we look forward to your return!

Reviewed November 5, 2017

The best part of this hotel was its proximity to most of San Diego's attractions. The room was clean but was a bit cramped with the two beds, as there was no room for a nightstand. The parking garage is cramped, but there is ample parking on the street that is easy to find. There are few good placed to eat within a 5 minute walk.

Date of stay: September 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
1  Thank John F
Pt_Loma2, Guest Relations Manager at Cabrillo Inn & Suites Airport, responded to this reviewResponded August 9, 2018

Thank you for the feedback, we are now on social media and invite you to check our updated website and come back for a visit. Thanks again for your past business!

Reviewed September 24, 2017

Booked through Expedia for great deal. Called a few days ahead to confirm the 2pm check-in and was told it is accurate and asked if I would like to request earlier. I didn't need earlier, but confirmed I needed 2pm as we would be headed to a wedding. Well, we were running late and called the hotel around 2:15 to confirm the room would be ready by our 2:30 arrival. I was told it would be, but it was not ready by 3pm when we needed to leave for the wedding. Luckily, we had other family staying there and could borrow their room to get ready. It was just disappointing that the prior calls went unnoticed.

The room was clean, and we reserved the junior suite which was large. We had a king bed in the room, and another room with 2 sofas (one had a random sheet cover on top). I am not sure if the larger sofa was a sleeper as we did not need it. The room was advertised as a bay view, but we were on the 3rd level and could not see the bay. Probably the 4th floor would have provided a bay view. The rooms provided only soap and shampoo/conditioner as far as toiletries.

The Expedia site said "free breakfast". They provide coffee and a Danish cut in pieces. I would not even consider it a continental breakfast. There also is "free parking" which is an underground parking for compact cars. There is street parking for larger cars. I also utilized the free wifi without any problems. The area seemed safe.

Overall, the stay was pleasant after our check-in experience. The premises are clean and the room was a good value for the area. There are many restaurants nearly and it is a nice walk to Shelter Island. I would return and expect a 3pm arrival.

Date of stay: September 2017

Thank you for all the great information, we appreciate you sharing this, we are now on Social Media and wanted to respond!