“Nice venue on summer nights- bad seating”
Review of Old Globe Theatre

Balboa Park Highlights Small-Group Walking Tour
Ranked #45 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Tony Award-winning Old Globe is one of the country’s leading professional regional theatres and has stood as San Diego’s flagship arts institution for over 80 years. Under the leadership of Erna Finci Viterbi Artistic Director Barry Edelstein, The Old Globe produces a year-round season of 15 productions of classic, contemporary, and new works on its three Balboa Park stages: the Donald and Darlene Shiley Stage in the 600-seat Old Globe Theatre and the 250-seat Sheryl and Harvey White Theatre, both part of The Old Globe’s Conrad Prebys Theatre Center, and the 605-seat outdoor Lowell Davies Festival Theatre, home of its internationally renowned Shakespeare Festival. More than 250,000 people attend Globe productions annually and participate in the theatre’s education and community programs. Numerous world premieres such as the 2014 Tony Award winner for Best Musical, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, Bright Star, Allegiance, The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,and the annual holiday musical Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! have been developed at The Old Globe and have gone on to enjoy highly successful runs on Broadway and at regional theatres across the country.
Reviewed June 1, 2014

It's always great to watch a historic play on a warm San Diego summer night outdoors. And the actors and theatre staff are always helpful. The concessions are also more varied than at other SD Theatres.
Unfortunately, there are only a few ideal areas for seating, as the audience area is more of a half-circle, rather than other SD Theatre's much smaller arc that allows many more people to be close to the center. Also, the seats are hard and uncomfortable. I recognize that outdoor seats can be difficult to maintain, but these are just dreadful.

1  Thank sudobuntu

Reviewed May 29, 2014

Recently saw Time and The Conways here at the Old Globe. It's been decades since I've stepped foot in this theater.... What a loss for me!!! Our evening was so delightful...had drinks and appetizers in the nearby Prado restaurant. Highly recommend an evening at The Old Globe.....going to buy summer season tickets!!!

2  Thank 351Frequentflyer
Reviewed May 28, 2014 via mobile

The Old Globe offers 3 theaters in one location and often offers 2 or more plays going at once. One of the theaters is an outdoor theater for showing Shakespeare. How great is that?! If you're in town during Christmastime, catch the yearly production of The Grinch and the magical tree lighting if you can.

Reviewed May 26, 2014

What a wonderful place to see a play and what a great play! This is in the beautiful Balboa Park and it was a wonderful night. We saw Vanya, Sonia, Masha and Spike (may have those names out of order) and it was fabulous. We had probably the cheapest seats in the theater but were still able to see everything. The set was marvelous, the acting great and the whole experience very special. The little cafe in the courtyard was great. My husband had two hot drinks because it was a chilly night and I had a bar of chocolate - all delicious. I wish I were a local and could get season tickets!

2  Thank lololives
Reviewed May 24, 2014

We too saw Water By The Spoonful, in the theater in the round. It is a very small space, so you are close to the actors and the action. The cast did fine as far as I could tell. It's the play itself that I did not care for. The helpful box office person got us hot tix for the day after we visited, when the two of us could sit together. I think I'll avoid the playwright in the future, but if we are in San Diego again we'd check to see what's on at the Old Globe, for sure.

1  Thank BinColorado