“We have been going to this theater for years”
Review of Old Globe Theatre

Balboa Park Highlights Small-Group Walking Tour
Ranked #45 of 445 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Tony Award-winning Old Globe is one of the country’s leading professional regional theatres and has stood as San Diego’s flagship arts institution for over 80 years. Under the leadership of Erna Finci Viterbi Artistic Director Barry Edelstein, The Old Globe produces a year-round season of 15 productions of classic, contemporary, and new works on its three Balboa Park stages: the Donald and Darlene Shiley Stage in the 600-seat Old Globe Theatre and the 250-seat Sheryl and Harvey White Theatre, both part of The Old Globe’s Conrad Prebys Theatre Center, and the 605-seat outdoor Lowell Davies Festival Theatre, home of its internationally renowned Shakespeare Festival. More than 250,000 people attend Globe productions annually and participate in the theatre’s education and community programs. Numerous world premieres such as the 2014 Tony Award winner for Best Musical, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, Bright Star, Allegiance, The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,and the annual holiday musical Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! have been developed at The Old Globe and have gone on to enjoy highly successful runs on Broadway and at regional theatres across the country.
Reviewed November 11, 2013

We just saw "Much ado about Nothing" last night. Another great, very high quality production. We are so lucky to have this theater in San Diego.

1  Thank HandOsmom

Reviewed November 6, 2013

Don' t miss it. The theater is gorgeous and the production of the Last Good Bye was first rate. The actors were super talented. The music and the sets were terrific.

Reviewed November 5, 2013

We have had a subscription to the Old Globe for years, and have seen almost every production. It is a first-rate venue.

Reviewed November 4, 2013

We saw The Last Goodbye and loved every minute. There isn't a bad seat in the house, sound quality was great, excellent backdrops and special effects. The performance was captivating... which means we laughed, cried and sat on the edge of our seats, even thought we knew the story well. Theater is located in breathtaking Balboa Park- a beautiful place to walk through before/after a performance.

1  Thank Brenna B
Reviewed November 1, 2013

When you find yourself fighting traffic from the L.A. area to San Diego for the express reason of play-going at The Old Globe, admit it, it's a pretty good sign that you're hooked.

In the beginning, it was the lure of a bit of light Shakespeare under the stars on a warm summer night. But it was more than summer, open air and stars, we quickly learned-- it was some seriously good rendering of Shakespeare's works: the staging, the costumes, the music, the actors. I'm honestly hard-pressed to think of a thing about the experience that I didn't like. I love that you're up close and personal with the performers so you can REALLY get into the play. I also love that we get a small discount as seniors. And so, summer Shakespeare at The Old Globe became a tradition.

Then I noticed The Rainmaker was on the roster. I wanted to see The Rainmaker. But, I also wanted to see it at The Old Globe. Up until this point, we'd only been to performances in the Lowell Davis Festival Theatre, the only one of the three theatres in the complex which is an open-air venue. The Rainmaker was being performed on the stage for which the complex is named, modeled after Shakespeare's Old Globe in London. I'd seen it from the outside and was itching to experience it from the inside.

We drove down for the second-to-last night of The Rainmaker's run, got a room outside of the city, had dinner at a favorite wine bar (see separate review for Jake's on 6th) then cruised the short distance from Jake's to Balboa Park and to the theatres. What a fun evening! Like the festival theatre, The Old Globe is small enough to provide the same intimate theatre experience. Although devices are available for the hearing impaired, acoustics are such that in my own case, I didn't find an aid of any kind it necessary. You're close enough to catch little facial nuances, making the slide from reality into the world of the playwright and actors incredibly easy.

I'm on the email list for The Old Globe and intend to stay there. Yep, I'm hooked.