“Great venue”

Balboa Park Highlights Small-Group Walking Tour
Ranked #46 of 435 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Tony Award-winning Old Globe is one of the country’s leading professional regional theatres and has stood as San Diego’s flagship arts institution for over 80 years. Under the leadership of Erna Finci Viterbi Artistic Director Barry Edelstein, The Old Globe produces a year-round season of 15 productions of classic, contemporary, and new works on its three Balboa Park stages: the Donald and Darlene Shiley Stage in the 600-seat Old Globe Theatre and the 250-seat Sheryl and Harvey White Theatre, both part of The Old Globe’s Conrad Prebys Theatre Center, and the 605-seat outdoor Lowell Davies Festival Theatre, home of its internationally renowned Shakespeare Festival. More than 250,000 people attend Globe productions annually and participate in the theatre’s education and community programs. Numerous world premieres such as the 2014 Tony Award winner for Best Musical, A Gentleman’s Guide to Love and Murder, Bright Star, Allegiance, The Full Monty, Dirty Rotten Scoundrels,and the annual holiday musical Dr. Seuss’ How the Grinch Stole Christmas! have been developed at The Old Globe and have gone on to enjoy highly successful runs on Broadway and at regional theatres across the country.
San Diego, CA
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Great venue”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Have been here for numerous performances; It is in a great location, the only downfall is the food and beverage...not very good and quite overpriced.

Visited December 2011

Belmont,MA
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cosy, intimate, open-air theater”
Reviewed September 29, 2012

Take a blanket and a windjacket! Even in July it was chilly.
The theater space is small, so good viewing is had from any seat, execpt the extreme sides. I'm sure there is a resident performing arts company, and if the show we saw is anything to judge by, they are very good.

Visited June 2012
San Diego, California
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Allegiance. Excellent!”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

About the Japanese American internment during World War II. (At the Old Globe in San Diego from Sept 7th- Oct 21st). This is a play that should be seen by young and old alike. It has star power—George Takei (a.k.a. “Mr. Sulu”)—I grew up watching him on Star Trek, and Lea Salonga, Tony Award winner, known for the role as Kim in MISS SAIGON and the first Asian woman to play Eponine in LES MISERABLES. Ms. Salonga stole the show and my heart. Her voice is a power house. The way she wore her emotions when singing brought me to tears several times. It is such a tragic story; first and second generation Japanese Americans are torn from their homes and put behind barbed wire. I overheard a man say, “It wasn’t that bad. I have a friend who was in a camp when she was young, and they had baseball games and dances.” Watch this play and then tell me it wasn’t bad. George Takei (who plays the role of the grandfather and the aged son in the beginning) was, in fact, unjustly incarcerated with 120,000 other Japanese Americans. The creators of ALLEGIANCE, Jay Kuo and Lorenzo Thione, heard Takei’s story and were inspired to make the musical. From the opening scenes, when proper Japanese women were asked to strip in front of male counterparts, I could not hold the tears. As they dripped down my cheeks, I could hear the sniffles of my teenage niece who sat beside me.
At a time in U.S. history when I see some people look sideways to others who wear a Hijab, a Shemagh, or a full Burka, we must remember most of us who live in this country are, in fact, immigrants. I know my father has Dutch-Irish ancestry, my mother is Greek, and I am a mutt. Okay, maybe not a dog, but indeed a mixed breed. Admittedly, like many other “third culture kids” I often wonder where “home” is, but I am always a proud American. This is one great country made up of a beautiful amalgamation of nationalities, ethnicities, races, religions, his and herstories, and we need to respect one another. ALLEGIANCE shows a time in our history when that didn’t happen, but I am confident (hopeful) that through compassion and experience, this sort of thing will never happen again. Please see this play if it is ever in your area. Take your kids. Teach what it is to love and not hate.
www.kimberlykrobeson.com

1 Thank Kimberly R
Burnley, England
106 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 196 helpful votes
“A sister theatre to the London Globe”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Did not get to see a performance but the theatre is a duplicate of the one on the Thames Embankment at Southwark London

Saint Louis, Missouri
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“ALLEGIANCE a must see”
Reviewed September 24, 2012

This box office staff is awesome. They handled some extra requests, helped us find a restaurant and were generally very efficient. The new musical ALLEGIANCE is a beautiful production.