We stayed with Paisley at Vintage Sol for two nights in August 2010.
THINGS WE LOVED ABOUT VINTAGE SOL:
1) The food. WOW, is she a great cook! If you like tamales, be sure to ask for her homemade ones! Best I've EVER had, and I've had plenty.
2) The decor. Those who said it was cluttered must be neat freaks. The place was spotlessly clean and very attractively decorated. The website gives you a good idea of what the decor is like, so if that isn't your cup of tea then don't book here! (Weve stayed at many B&Bs throughout the world: most B&Bs have similar amounts of brick-a-brack.) The floor of the guest room is amazing, beautifully tiled with lovely mosaics.
3) Thoughtfully appointed! The bed is really comfortable, the patio is lovely (with a tinkly fountain too!), and the room has everything you could need (refrigerator, TV, plates, silverware, etc). It is indeed a small room but not as small as the proprietess publicizes: we were a bit nervous about that but then pleasantly surprised.
4) Location location location! Not close to the beaches, but very centrally located with easy freeway access from 805 and 8. (Im a native San Diegan and wanted something close to visit family---and there are precious few good hotels east of Mission Valley.) The neighborhood is fantastic---lots within walking distance, very artsy, good restaurants and a couple of great wine bars.
5) Paisley is a great hostess! Very friendly, totally helpful, very accommodating. Even gave me her tamale recipe! And we encouraged visits from Lucy the bulldog too, who is just adorable. If you don't like dogs, Paisley is careful to keep Lucy away from guest areas---but if you do like dogs, Lucy is delightful!
6) Free parking, and plenty of it, right in front of the house! You'll be the only guest (since there is only one room) so there is plenty of privacy, too.
7) Did I mention THE FOOD? Paisley also gave us lots of fresh fruit, and all of it was perfectly ripe and sweet and delicious. Attractively and whimsically presented, too! Warning---the breakfasts are HUGE, so if you don't eat a lot you need to ask her to go easy on you. But not if she is serving those tamales! If you can't eat them all just take them with you for lunch, because you won't find anything better at ANY restaurant!
THINGS WE DIDN'T LOVE ABOUT VINTAGE SOL:
Nothing! We will very likely stay here again. We recommend it unreservedly to anyone looking for a nice B&B away from the beach/downtown area.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Vintage Sol is a unique artsy Spanish Bed and Breakfast. A fresh new approach to the traditional B&B. Stay in your private tiny Casita filled with Mexican handcrafts, revolving vintage collections and local artists work. Eat alfresco in the color drenched courtyard with fountains, herbs and fruits. We use organic cage free eggs and organic herbs in our dishes. ... more less