“Vintage Sol - excellent B & B”
Review of Vintage Sol

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in San Diego
Vintage Sol
Ranked #15 of 33 San Diego B&B and Inns
MA
“Vintage Sol - excellent B & B”
Reviewed November 10, 2008

If you're traveling to a new area and don't have anyone to rely on to give you recommendations about where to stay, where to eat, or what to do and you're left to search out a place on the internet or in a travel book, you still don't know for sure what you're going to get.

Vintage Sol was beautiful and just perfect for my recent 5 night stay in San Diego. Bummer for me that I was there at the end of October (past growing season for some of the garden's fruits and vegetables which Paisley offered to let me try), but the weather was still really warm so that I could sit out in the private garden area and have a drink at night.

Paisley (the owner) was gracious, accommodating and full of recommendations without being intrusive. Breakfast was extremely tasty. The bed, sheets and pillows really comfortable (full-sized to fit into the living space). The space clean. The neighborhood was quiet with restaurants and the highway nearby.

The website for Vintage Sol (www.vintagesol.com) has great photos of the cottage and garden, provides photos of some breakfast options (the food alone makes it absolutely worth staying there) and has many links to restaurants, history and neighborhood goings-on. The gardens I think are more filled-in now than when the website photos were taken making the area feel more rich, cozy and relaxing.

I was glad that there were no animals allowed in the cottage (allergies) and that there were some kitchen amenities available (refrigerator, microwave, coffee maker). When I was there, I had the option of using the gas grill with some limitations (ask....).

If I can swing another trip to San Diego, I will definately check here first for availability. Thank you, Paisley....!

• Liked — The space (garden), the motif (mexican), food, quiet
  • Disliked — Rather minor detail-I use unscented laundry detergent so I'm not used to sheets and towels that have the laundry detergent scent. The scent was relatively light however. Paisley asked if I could recommend any changes. I recommended using unscented laundry detergent.
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
2 Thank diegomcg

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco
Reviewed August 30, 2008

Vintage Sol is a delightful secret little gem, the perfect cozy hide-away for two. My boyfriend & I were curious when we came across their website and decided to take a chance on a four night stay. We were thrilled that it is everything it promises to be - the casita is filled with colorful personalized touches, intimate, quiet, comfy, private & peaceful. The bed was topped with puffy down pillows and comforter with soft cotton sheets, ahhh. We woke to the sun streaming in through the french door entrance, and fabulous breakfasts brought to us - the spicy eggs benedict surrounded by fresh figs, berries and plumeria flowers from the yard was my favorite. Each morning we sat at our little casita table and marveled at our good fortune while we tried to finish our generously portioned breakfast and sipped the coffee we made in our little kitchenette. The casita is fully stocked with everything they anticipate you might need, from coffee beans & grinder to a room air conditioner for when it gets steamy. And if it's privacy you crave, this is the place. You are the only guests and with the exception of your breakfast delivery, you are left to enjoy your stay in peaceful tranquility - I napped in the afternoons, the breeze and sound of the courtyard fountains and finches wafting into the casita while I blissfully dozed. Vintage Sol is truly a hidden little gem we look forward to visiting again!

• Liked — Personable non-intrusive service, private courtyard with friendly finches and fantastic food!
  • Disliked — We had to go home and back to reality!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Cougaracia
atlanta
Reviewed August 29, 2008

My boyfriend and I love B&Bs. He had to visit San Diego for a conference on his 40th B. Day. We were disappointed. So, I wanted for him to stay somewhere cozy and that he would love. He loves Mexican art and anything that resembles it. I knew he would love Vintage Sol. To top it off they offer a birthday celebration package. So, the love of my life had his own lovely personal birthday celebration with decorations, shrimp cocktail and some sweet chocolate (his major weakness). Paisley (owner) was awesome and printed and delivered a personal message from us. It was perfect and I won huge points. He enjoyed very much his stay, and also loved, loved and loved the food. Paisley is very much service oriented, friendly and helpful.

• Liked — Decor
  • Disliked — Room was small
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
California
Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband and I just got back from a trip to San Diego where we stayed at Vintage Sol. We both LOVED this B&B!!!

The best part of the stay was most definitely the owner. She goes above and beyond to make your stay not just comfortable, but unique, without ever invading the space. You get full use of a large and beautiful patio area, which has lovely fountains and plants. In the morning, she set out juice and tea, shortly followed by a huge and gourmet breakfast (we had Eggs Benedict with grilled fruit one morning and enchiladas with watermelon and eggs the next). Food was delicious and also beautiful.

The ambiance of this place is completely cool. Very artsy- there is so much stuff to look at, but is at the same time clean and comfortable- never overwhelming. The casita is fully stocked with everything you need- very well organized! It has a lovely little kitchen, cute bath, and comfy bed. Again, the decor is fantastic. They have put together several binders describing places to visit in San Diego (food, shops, sites) with maps and directions. She suggested several eateries and shops that were fantastic!

The most memorable part of our stay was on our last night. When we returned to the B&B, she had put out margaritas with chips and salsa and a personalized note. Sitting on the patio under the stars and sipping our drinks while listening to the trickling fountain was very romantic. We can't wait to stay again!!

• Liked — Service and Ambiance
  • Disliked — Nothing!
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled with family
2 Thank travelgoob
Chicago
Reviewed July 17, 2008

This place is exquisite, like walking into a Frida Kahlo painting, with gorgeous art & funky decor everywhere. My husband & I stayed there for our little honeymoon, and the owners were wonderful & extremely accommodating. It's not the biggest place, but it's the perfect size for 2 people looking to escape. Every morning we were woken up with fabulous home-cooked gourmet breakfasts, and on our last nite their we arrived to a candle-lit courtyard with drinks & dessert & a flower petal path. This place is a perfect little oasis, and we shall be returning positively.

• Liked — The ambience & art
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed July 17, 2008

My husband and I have stayed at a few B&B's thru the years and really gravitate to the more modern,eclectic ones vs the doilies,gingham,flowered wallpaper type.The website for this place is great and does a good job showing off the place and feel.We LOVED it!.We are very tall/big people and had a little difficulty fitting into the full size bed and miniscule bathroom but everything else more than made up for it.I am already planning a couple more stays w/ my mom and sister.Paisley the hostess,homeowner is super organized,helpful,discreet,friendly.The binders full of restaurant reviews,directions,attractions,shopping were very helpful and thoughtful.The mini kitchen had everything you could possibly need and even had a bowel of delicious cherries from the local farmers market.The premises were super cozybeautiful/lush.The inner courtyard needs a little cleaning and dusting but was very tropical,private,serene,loved the fountain noise in the room at night!The neighborhood is transitional but quiet and never worried for our safety.Very close to everything.We spent a lot of our time in/near Balboa Park/zoo and this location was great.The breakfasts were works of art,delicious and hearty.This is a great value for San Diego in the summer,I did a lot of homework and am pretty picky about having it all for the least amount of money and this fits the bill in spades.This place is fun,funky and chic with a slight feminine feel but my husband didn't mind at all and I really loved it.Don't miss going to Urban Solice for lunch/dinner.It's right around the corner and was DELICIOUS! The live music,service and food was great for not a lot of money.Outdoor dining on a beautiful evening was the best,don't miss the watermelon salad.

Stayed July 2008
1 Thank traveleasy1
Charlotte, NC
Reviewed July 16, 2008

I spent a delightful 3 days at Vintage Sol. If you like the Mexican Inn motif, you'll love this place. the home itself is beautifully landscaped, the courtyard is full of interesting collectibles, and the "casita" is comfortable and complete. It has a refridgerator, microwave, TV, and a great compliment of books.

I came on business, and took a taxi back and forth to the Convention Center. Cost each way was about $15.00 and about 10 - 15 minutes depending on traffic. I had the same cab driver pick me up each morning to make things easy, as the first driver had a hard time finding the address.

The breakfasts served were the best food I had in San Diego, really terrific and very filling. Paisley (the owner) was very attentive and friendly, and even had a margarita waiting for me on my last night there.

Highly recommended!