Vintage Sol
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation but we can search other options in San Diego
See available hotels
Friendship Hotel(San Diego)
  • Breakfast included
Lodge at 32nd(San Diego)
View Hotel
Inn at the Park(San Diego)
  • Restaurant
  • Restaurant
  • Pool
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 20, 2011

We stayed at Vintage Sol April 16th and 17th while visiting friends in San Diego. I chose this wonderful B&B because of the previous glowing reviews on Tripadvisor. We were not disappointed. Paisley has lovingly provided everything you could possible need during your stay. The refrigerator and cabinets are filled with complimentary drinks and snacks. As other reviewers have stated, the breakfasts are amazing. What a cook! We felt guilty because we couldn't clean our plates.

The outside patio and interior of the casita are filled with amazing antiques and fun South of the border handicrafts. Each evening, after enjoying our intimate surroundings, we sank into the luxurious bed for a good nights sleep.

Do yourself a favor and stay somewhere different while you visit San Diego. Yes, Vintage Sol does not offer a huge room and bathroom, but all your needs and more will be provided in this very unique casita. Thanks again Paisley for your hospitality.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 12, 2011

This is definitely not your Holiday Inn! If, like me, you enjoy B&B's for the adventure, this is your perfect place. It was totally unique. You have a tiny casita (in your own courtyard outside of the owner's house) all to yourself decorated with everything from Mexican angels to Frida Kahlo portraits, You are the only guests so it is very private and quiet. The bed is the best I've ever slept in. The location is terrific -- only a short drive to Balboa Park and the zoo and very convenient tolocal restaurants (which were terrific and inexpensive--not tourist traps). The refrigerator is stocked with soft drinks, juice and gelato. Paisley was very nice and helpful. There were a few things that could use improvement, but they didn't diminish our enjoyment of the place. You have to make your own coffee in the morning and there is no decaf. Also she does not clean if you leave after 10 am. The shower definitely needs a redo, since the doors are difficult to slide and some of the decorations outside are getting shabby. The door also does not lock (however the courtyard door does so you are safe). But really these negatives were minor compared to the charm and quiet of the place. Also the food was wonderful with lots of fresh fruit.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank retired-teacher60
Management response:Responded April 27, 2011

Thank you for your review and I am happy you enjoyed your stay. To answer some of your concerns. I am sorry about the oversight on the decaf coffee. We have included decaf to the in room selection. Check in and cleaning times are limited due to work and school schedules.. We have replaced the french door lock. We are looking into changing out the shower doors but the home is over 72 years old so some sticky doors and quirks are to be expected. Many of the outdoor pieces lean toward a rustic aesthetic in keeping with our love of vintage patina, aged painted wood, rusty ironwork and repurposed salvage.

Reviewed March 20, 2011

Adding my voice to the chorus of hallelujah's over the glorious little gem that is Vintage Sol. Just returned from a solo getaway visiting San Diego friends, while resting my head and soul in Paisley's magical garden. A quiet neighborhood street, 5 or so blocks from great restaurants and shops -- you could pass Vintage Sol and never take note of the lodging, except to admire the artistic touches around the main house and in the stand-out landscaping. But wind down the path to the courtyard door, pull it's heavy iron loop, and wow. Just.... wow. The little guesthouse casita sits at the back of this stunning space -- exploding with flowers and fruit and art everywhere you look. It's like stepping into another world, and the double doors leading into the lodging reveal more delight. Proprietor Paisley has simply thought of everything. The petite, cozy (but larger than expected) space has been lovingly appointed with more terrific artwork, vintage finds, lush bedding, interesting books, spectacular tile work and more. The space has also been expertly maximized so that nothing ever feels cramped. There's a place for everything, no details spared, and welcome little touches, like high end coffees, sweets, popcorn, and just about anything you might have forgotten on the toiletries front.

Paisley herself is an utter delight -- warm, welcoming, like a long--lost friend, but never intrusive. This was perfect for me traveling solo, without my husband and son. I had the privacy I wanted, and the warmth, security & connectedness that I needed not to feel alone or unsafe. And her breakfasts? OUT. OF. THIS. WORLD. I typically just have a protein or granola bar in the morning, not being a big morning eater. That changed the instant I laid eyes on her version of Green Eggs and Ham on Dr. Seuess' bday. Holy smokes. Glorious, ridiculous, obscene breakfasts with fruit like you wouldn't believe. I polished them off daily and they kept me full all day and most of the nights.

Okay, so -- maybe Vintage Sol isn't for everyone. If you hunger for traditional hotels, familiar surroundings, if you expect the expected, maybe this isn't your place. What Paisley has lovingly crafted is a one-room artistic funky inn, with the luxury of a boutique hotel, and the comforts of staying with a stylish hospitable friend. For me... as good as it gets. Bless you, Paisley, for creating such a glorious space and for sharing it with me last week.

• Stayed: March 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank barest_smidgen
Reviewed February 11, 2011

What a fun place to stay! The room is very nice , clean and there is EVERYTHING you could possible need. The patio is just beautiful, with wonderful karma and the breakfast was outstanding. The surrounding area has so many great restaurants and good shopping. Thank you Paisley for the great accommodations.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 23, 2010

The real deal--authentic, artistic, welcoming, and has anyone mentioned the tamales? Paisley is the best. The garden is magical. I would stay here again and again, and recommend it highly.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled on business