TripAdvisor

from $79.00
from $169.00
from $112.49
More Info
All reviews tacos wine tasting guadalupe valley taco shop an amazing trip bachelorette weekend border crossing amazing wineries cliff overlooking the ocean guide dan fresh churros wine valley boutique winery taco place fast pass an amazing guide these guys
Selected filters
Reviewed September 8, 2019

My husband and I got married in the Valle de Guadalupe last weekend, and used Boca Roja for transport for guests to and from the Valle from San Diego, and also used Boca Roja for an optional wine tour we offered guests the day after the wedding. Both services were phenomenal. Working with Tim up until the wedding was a pleasure, and he and his team executed the weekend perfectly. From San Diego pick up on two separate days and transport down to the Valle, to transport to and from the rehearsal dinner and to and from the wedding, to the entire wine tour day, absolutely incredible. All of our guests had a blast, and were thankful for the easy transport as most of the guests flew into San Diego and did not want to rent cars and drive them into Mexico. Tim and his company made the whole experience so easy for us and all of our guests. Our optional wine tour had almost 70 guests attend, we visited two restaurants and two wineries, all unique and amazing, and also all expecting us and set up to accommodate our large group with no problems. It was all so well organized. Thank you Tim and Boca Roja for all of your hard work making our wedding weekend so successful. And thank you to driver Michael as well, anyone who was lucky enough to be in your van couldn't stop raving about how friendly you are! I'm sure Boca Roja's daily wine tours into the Valle are amazing, and if you are looking for a reliable company to coordinate a large wine tour or Valle transport, you found it here!

Reviewed August 23, 2019

As a returning customer and after recommending Boca Roja to numerous friends, many of whom purchased trips, I was curious to see how the organization has grown and why I’ve received negative feedback from many of those friends that I’ve referred.

A few months ago, my office approached me about wanting to join my wife and I on an orphanage visit in the Valle. We drive down usually once a month to give back, spend time with the children and visit a wineries after. I was excited to learn that my coworkers were interested and motivated to participate.

I began planning our day and organizing our itinerary with the orphanage and winery. The only aspect of the trip that I needed help with was the transportation. It was important to my office that we all ride together and enjoy this experience as a team, and it was important that we utilize the SENTRI lane and not risk a potential 4 hour border crossing….something that happened to me during one of my previous trips with Boca Roja. Being that we had 9 people, my car with SENTRI couldn’t fit everyone.

One month before our scheduled trip, I called up Tim at Boca Roja and asked if they had availability to provide transportation for this day, they did. I gave him the itinerary and he said, “no problem.” I inquired about utilizing a fast pass to which he responded, “those haven’t been working as quickly as they have in the past.” So I asked about SENTRI, “Do you have the van registered for the SENTRI lane and a driver with Global Entry?” “Yes, we do and Yes, we can make that happen.” He responded. So he sent over the invoice and we paid a month in advance.

Fast forward to FOUR days before our trip:

(See screenshots of actual texts)

Tim texts and tells me that he won’t be our driver, but he has a super cool guy lined up to take us. I say, “great we are still good with SENTRI right?”

BOOM! Tim relays that his wife was going to be our SENTRI driver, but she previously committed to another event that day. He proceeds to say we could take Ubers from the border or use the ready lane. SENTRI was the reason we chose to hire Boca Roja, which is what I told Tim in my reply. He responded the next evening (3 days before our trip) and says, “We are all good. Katie is going to host you guys! False alarm.”

Ok.

On the following day (2 days before our trip) Tim says, “Ran into an issue. Kate has SENTRI and is available, but THE VAN HAS NOT BEEN REGISTERED.”

This put me in a very tough position. We plan this trip, hire him and pay a month in advance, only to find out 2 days prior that the van is not registered? You either lied to me from the beginning, are lying to me in this moment or you’re a completely incompetent business owner. Either way, I’m in a jam with a promise to visit the children at the orphanage and commitment to my office that we will have fast safe passage back across the border.

After thinking about this for a couple hours, I come up with a solution to satisfy my team and continue with the trip. The new plan is to meet the van at the border crossing and park our cars there for the day, rather than at our office like originally planned. This way, we will have the van bring us back to the border, but we can walk across in 5 mins rather than wait in the Ready Lane for 4 hours. Problem solved, but a major inconvenience for everyone to have to drive our cars further and pay for parking (NO REIMBURSEMENT FROM BOCA ROJA, even after asking).

So now, we are finally to our day it it starts out just fine. We stop and grab tacos on our way and arrive at the orphanage at noon. While at the orphanage our driver remains in the van for the most part and then decided that he is going to leave for an hour and half. He takes off with all our bags, supplies, and our passports for 90 minutes.

When he returns, we take our remaining supplies out to give to the orphanage and then drive over to the winery. This is where it gets questionable. Our driver is more than excited to get out of the van at the winery, so much so that he sits himself down at the the table (our private tasting that was scheduled and paid for) and proceeds to start drinking wine like he is one of the guests. Our hired driver who still needs to take us 80 minutes to the border is drinking wine. Even after I tell him that we didn’t reserve a seat for him at this tasting.

Thankfully the trip was still successful. We spent half a day with 95 orphans, provided lunch, played games and did arts and crafts with them. We had a terrific day as a team and our office grew closer together. The only disappointment was the lack of organization and professionalism by Boca Roja. I will never be able to recommend them to anyone again or consider their services for future travels.

Things escalated even more when I told Tim that it would be appropriate to return some of the money that we had paid. At the very least, to cover the cost of parking at the border or an amount equivalent to what an Uber would have charged us to ride down and back from Del Mar. He again had another unprofessional response.

Hire at your own risk.

1  Thank AndrewZ477
Reviewed August 16, 2019

We had the absolute best time last weekend for my best friends bachelorette. Our guide, Tim, showed us a really great time introducing us to vineyard owners, amazing views, and delicious food, and he had great knowledge of the region. We cannot stop talking about how much fun we had. Thank you for making Lizette’s birthday Bach unforgettable!

Reviewed August 12, 2019

Big shout out to Dan and Tim. Planned the day trip for my 30th birthday and had an amazing time. Dan was awesome and really made sure we had a great day. Tim answered my numerous questions and always was focused on how to make our experience the best.

I am not a big planner, so Boca Roja was perfect because they took care of everything. From picking us up at our house, to ensuring everything was setup for us at each winery before we even sat down, Dan made it so all we had to do was enjoy ourselves. It’s been two days and we’ve already discussed our next trip with an even bigger group.

Thank you again Dan and Tim! We had a great day and it was a perfect way to launch into my 30s.

Reviewed July 22, 2019

My wife & I had an unbelievable experience with Boca Roja in Valle De Guadalupe! I wanted to plan an extra special birthday getaway for my wife. After looking into Napa & Sonoma in California, I came across an article about Mexico’s Napa Valley ( Valle de Guadaulpe). The more I researched this region, the more I became interested.

There was only one problem. Flying from Chicago turned into several connecting flights which would turn into a 10-12 hour flight. I stumbled across Boca Roja and read about their tour company. They will take you from San Diego down to Mexico’s wine valley in less than 2 hours and whisk you across the border with no issues. I then researched flights from Chicago to San Diego and boom, many non stop flights came up.

I contacted Boca Roja & they were able to customize a multi-day trip that was unbelievable. We flew into San Diego & they picked us up at the airport with a cooler filled with waters and beers. After crossing the border we stopped in a small town Rosarito to sample some of the best tacos I’ve had in years. Soon afterwards they drove us to a beautiful vineyard ARBNB.

Over the next few days they arranged visits to wineries, private visits to meet owners to go behind the scenes and see them at work. They arranged a special. 7 course birthday dinner that was bucket list worthy. They are more than just a transportation company. They will tell you the history of each winery, they will educate you about the area. We went to a cliffside Bar Bura that was incredible. Everyone else has to take a special shuttle at Cuatro Cuatros, but not Boca Roja. They are the only third party allowed to drive up to the cliff bar.

Should you decide to take a wine adventure in up an coming Valle de Guadalupe, you won’t be disappointed with Boca Roja.

Date of experience: July 2019