“So far above the average tourist experience....”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 28, 2010

Unlike other "sailing adventures" where they motor most of the way, this was a true hands-on, all-out, rocketship ride!

I've been sailing for more than 40 years on 3 continents and own a boat on San Francisco Bay, and this was BY FAR the best sailing experience I've had. The crew is competent yet laid-back, the weather conditions were perfect, the venue interesting, and the opportunity to drive the boat was a real thrill. Heading upwind we made 11 knots boatspeed within a few seconds of tacking, and we weren't even pushing the limits.

Thanks to Captain Len and the whole crew who made our journey so enjoyable. I don't know what the other charter companies are like, but USA11.com gave us a three hour tour that was worth far more than what we paid (but don't tell them that!). Next time we're in San Diego, we'll definitely do it again.

All reviews
in 136 reviews
"knots"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I'll keep this short and sweet. The crew was awesome, the sailboat was incredible, and the "do-it-yourself" aspect was an experience like no other. Bonus: Everyone was so welcoming! The moment we walked up to the office, we were greeted with a friendly, "Hi! Will you be sailing with us today?" One caution: make sure you secure your belongings. They offer to take all of your things and put them in a secure spot for you, DO IT! The sailboat tips pretty far when turning...and let's just say I should have kept better watch over my digital camera (which fish are now snacking on at the bottom of San Diego Bay). I would recommend this company to ANYONE. Whether you are a novice, like myself, or an experienced sailor, you will have a great time, guaranteed. =D

Reviewed June 28, 2010

I took my girlfriend on this after reading reviews from Tripadvisor. It the highlight of our trip! The boat is just amazing. I have never been on sailboat before in my life, so I didn't know what to expect. Also I usually get sea sick on boats and was a little worried but I didn't feel a thing on this boat. My girlfriend and I are very active and were excited to help on the boat, we were put to work in no time. We were using the cranks to move the sails and even got to drive the boat. You can be involved as much as you like. Some folks liked to sit while a few others were really involved like us. The volunteer crew was very nice and friendly and explained how the boat worked. The bay had a nice wind and it was great to see the beautiful harbor on this amazing vessel. I can't wait to do this again! I am already making plans to come back.
If you want to do something unique and fun that you will be talking about for a long time, this is it! This is a wonderful company with great people. The cost was $100/person and worth every penny.

1  Thank Phxnative
Reviewed June 22, 2010

Sailing with thie crew of the Sail USA is great way to spend the day. Crew is great!
Friendly and experienced. They know thier way around a boat and will teach you all about sailing. It was great fun to participate in the sail or chill on the deck when you wanted too. Sails Manager Marnie Buddo is super friendly and helpful on and off the boat. These guys are the best!
I'd highly recommend this trip. Don't miss it! :)

See more reviews
Reviewed June 19, 2010

My sweetheart and I had a wonderful afternoon sailing on the USA-11. It was an amazing experience to be on this sailing/racing yacht - first time for us on anything like it. We sailed pretty fast at times, but we always felt safe. Those of us who wanted to do so got to help put up the sails and even steer (the captain was at the helm too). It was amazing to feel how the sails caught the wind and propelled us forward. When we would turn it was quite interesting to see the coordination of the crew in handling the sails and rigging and we could help with that too if we wanted. It was just a great time out on the bay. The captain and crew were very nice and friendly and made sure we were comfortable. We will definitely be doing this again!