Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from $95.00
from $79.00
from $172.84
More Info
All reviews america's cup captain lynn san diego bay grinder racing yacht photos and videos friendly crew great boat great afternoon bucket list unique experience once in a lifetime highlight of our trip three hours shelter island coronado bridge helm
Reviewed January 25, 2019

I chartered the Stars & Stripes USA-11 for a surprise 70th birthday celebration for my husband. We were joined by 16 friends and a great time was had by all. Lynn was so professional and friendly in addressing all my questions and concerns during the planning process. Once on board, the crew was also very friendly and concerned about making sure that all who wanted to were able to participate in the sail by taking the wheel or grinding the winches. I highly recommend sailing the Stars & Stripes USA-11 for an afternoon of great fun and adventure.

Date of experience: January 2019
Lynn H, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded January 26, 2019

Thanks for your comments and it was pleasure having your friends and family on board. It was also a treat for the crew to be able to pick you up at the San Diego Yacht Club.

Reviewed January 22, 2019 via mobile

I've been on the Stars and Stripes a few times and it's always so fun. Bee and Lynn are both very knowledgeable and it's really fun how they get everyone involved with helping out (only if you want to!). I would definitely recommend this for anyone visiting San Diego, or even if you live here, to see San Diego from a different point of view :)

Date of experience: January 2019
Lynn H, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded January 22, 2019

Great having you back again and thanks for the very thorough description of our America's Cup experience.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

Loads of fun on the 1992 Americas cup boat. Active participation with rigging and sailing this beautiful sail boat. The massive sail is impressive. The crew is great and goes the distance to make sure everyone has a good time.

Date of experience: June 2018
1  Thank jackn128

Thanks for your comments and happy to hear you had fun aboard Stars & Stripes.

Reviewed September 17, 2018

I am a long time sailor of small boats so when I get a chance to go out on a classic big boat I jump. This boat was involved in the '92 America's cup. It's a racing machine and yet the ride on the water was smooth as glass.San Diego weather is perfect for sailing most days, 10 to 15knts of wind, sunshine. If you go in the summer, you can bring a wind breaker but you won't need it. Definitely bring a hat with a chin strap as it's easy to lose it if you aren't paying attention.

They "let" you crank the winches, which most people get tired of after one or two times, but if you want you can winch all day long. As there are three stations each with two positions so 6 people could if they wanted to crank away for every tack, although in general 2 is enough people power to adjust the sails. Everyone gets a chance at driving, they watch the time carefully so everyone gets a nice long turn. The skipper is right there alongside you, so no experience driving is necessary.

All in all, one of the best things to do in San Diego. I for sure will go out again!

And yes, get there early for the video and lecture on the history of the America's cup.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank DoryGuy

What a wonderful and complete review of our America's Cup experience. We appreciate you taking the time and look forward to having you back on board Stars & Stripes in the near future.

Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

I had a sail boat many years ago. A San Juan 24’ named Sun Shine Express. How I loved to sail. I had to sell her and many years later I bought a smaller sail boat. Fun but not as exciting. To the point, we were in San Diego this week and I made a reservation via email. Booked it for my husband and myself. This is my just another boat. It competed in the America Cup. It was amazing. The wind, sun and the large scale of mast, winches, sheets, I could go on. Please take the time to look at on line. It is a dream for me hat came true. If you only do it once - take the time and live the experience. They also do private sails.

Date of experience: September 2018
1  Thank 902jeanm902
Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to provide an excellent review of our America's Cup experience. We enjoyed having you on board Stars & Stripes.