Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM

Ways to Experience Sail Stars & Stripes
from $125.00
More Info
1,069 results
All reviews america's cup captain lynn san diego bay grinder racing yacht photos and videos volunteer crew entire crew friendly crew great afternoon bucket list spend an afternoon awesome experience helm boat grinding winch
Selected filters
Reviewed May 19, 2010

My team of operations managers and I signed up for a 4-hour cruise on the Stars and Stripes 11 - sailboat in San Diego. We were all new to the sailboat experience and had an amazing time. The sailboat and crew were incredible! We were offered the opportunity to work with the crew as little or as much as we wanted. Each member of our party was able to steer the sailboat throughout the cruise. We enjoyed a relaxing afternoon sailing out toward the ocean, and then back through the San Diego Bay. Not only did we get to sail past and learn about many of the local attractions, including museums and aircraft carriers, we also had a few dolphin sightings which were exciting for us, since we are from the Midwest. The crew was incredibly friendly and accommodating. We all agreed it was a great adventure and would love to come back again at our conference next year. We would highly reccommend it to anyone.

Reviewed May 19, 2010

I definitely recommend it, expecially to those with sailing experience - Captain Lynn can be very generous with the steering wheel

Reviewed May 18, 2010

With only a short time in San Diego and a bunch of great things to see and do, I am so glad that we chose this excursion with Sail USA-11. I had contacted Captain Lynn a month prior to our trip and he had mentioned that it was too early to book the trip. He had mentioned that he would get back to me closer to the date. And sure enough Captain Lynn followed through on his word. Because May is a slow time for tourism in San Diego, we didn't have enough passengers to go out. However at the last minute we luckily had enough passengers to take the sailboat out.

Just like the description on their website you are free to do as much or as little as you like. Captain Lynn was sure to give everyone a turn at the helm. The crew was extremely knowledgeable and helpful, especially Marnie who impressed us with her extensive knowledge of the sailboat and of the area. It was a gorgeous, exhilarating day on the water. I would highly recommend this to anyone visiting San Diego and wants a great view of the city from the bay. No sailing experience is necessary, just bring along your sense of adventure. It was worth every penny and I think my boyfriend is still smiling ear to ear.

Reviewed May 15, 2010

why did it take me 5 years in SD to find this? i had a great time and cant wait to go again. i highly recommend htis as a "must do" in san diego! :)

Reviewed May 9, 2010

I have just returned from a medical meeting in San Diego and took an afternoon off to sail on the USA 11. For me this was an unimagined and unforgettable experience. The USA 11 is the first 78 foot IACC boat built for Dennis Conner for the 1992 America's Cup race in San Diego. In the spring of that year I had the opportunity to visit the boat on the dock as part of a fundraiser for the team but never anticipated that 18 years later I would have the opportunity to drive her! The boat is perfect in every way. The crew was comprised of highly experienced sailors including the captain (Lynn) co-owner (Mark) and several volunteers. The sail lasts 3 hours and you do not need any sailing experience to love this excursion. All of the passengers can take part in sailing, including driving the boat. It takes 6 people on 3 winch grinders to raise the mainsail. The sail was from Shelter Island through San Diego Bay and under the Coronado bridge before turning about. The scenery was amazing, especially with 3 aircraft carriers of the Pacific Fleet in port, Navy Seals on patrol and a team of Navy divers training a dolphin for underwater bomb detection. This is an experience not to be missed.