“This should be #1 of things to do in San Diego”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 9, 2010

I have just returned from a medical meeting in San Diego and took an afternoon off to sail on the USA 11. For me this was an unimagined and unforgettable experience. The USA 11 is the first 78 foot IACC boat built for Dennis Conner for the 1992 America's Cup race in San Diego. In the spring of that year I had the opportunity to visit the boat on the dock as part of a fundraiser for the team but never anticipated that 18 years later I would have the opportunity to drive her! The boat is perfect in every way. The crew was comprised of highly experienced sailors including the captain (Lynn) co-owner (Mark) and several volunteers. The sail lasts 3 hours and you do not need any sailing experience to love this excursion. All of the passengers can take part in sailing, including driving the boat. It takes 6 people on 3 winch grinders to raise the mainsail. The sail was from Shelter Island through San Diego Bay and under the Coronado bridge before turning about. The scenery was amazing, especially with 3 aircraft carriers of the Pacific Fleet in port, Navy Seals on patrol and a team of Navy divers training a dolphin for underwater bomb detection. This is an experience not to be missed.

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"sea lions"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed May 8, 2010

My family (4.5 yrs old son, my wife and myself) really enjoyed the experience. It was windy/chlly which made sailing more fun. Numeous tacking and jibing made us busy to balance ourselves. We didn't find any whales, but we were lucky enough to sail under Coronado bridge. It's by no means a fancy cruiser with Champagne. Constant 11knots cruising with beatiful landscpe made it worth.

1  Thank nabi2010
Reviewed May 8, 2010

Wonderful trip! We sailed last month and enjoyed every minute of it! The peacefulness of being on the bay and feeling the wind in your hair is unmatched. Everyone had a turn steering the boat. My husband had a great time turning the cranks as the boat changed course. I tried to turn with him but he was too fast for me! There were two birthdays on our trip. One woman even made cupcakes for everyone. Nice!

Boat was very clean and the crew was helpful and friendly. There were sodas/water and snacks provided. I can't wait to go back next time we are in San Diego. This was definitely the highlight of our trip! Great way to spend an afternoon. Worth every penny!

Reviewed May 7, 2010

Arrived at the dock to find the crew waiting and ready to go. A friendly, knowledgeable and active crew they were. After a quick briefing dockside we were quickly motoring out of the marina. The crew had the truly enormous sails up in short order and we cruised all the way out to the mouth of the harbor with a dolphin escort! Here is where the difference between this and an ordinary day cruise became apparent. As we prepared to for our first tack everyone was briefed on how to man the various stations. There is nothing automatic about a race boat .... everybody needs to lend a hand! You will enjoy passimg everybody in the harbor if the wind is good. Sights to be seen close up: Point Loma, several of our Pacific Fleet carriers, submarine pens, downtown San Diego, the Coronado Bridge, and Dolphins!!!! You will enjoy this.