“Sail-away for a beautiful get-away!”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed January 18, 2010

A crew of 10 for a group of 8 made for an exceptional experience. The San Diego weather was perfect and an ocean breeze filled our sails for a delightful 3 hours of sailing. Once we were out in the bay and the motor was killed, we, along with a few crew members raised the sails and the winds took over from there. It was a thrilling experience to be under the power of nature and the experience of a very well trained crew. The views from the water we breath taking and manuvering around other vessels was exciting as we each were able to take the helm and steer clear of approaching obstacles. That was awesome. Everyone was so kind and answered any and all questions. This is a must-do for your San Deigo trip. Carol Graham

All reviews
in 54 reviews
"grinding"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed January 17, 2010

I have been watching the America's Cup boat races for most of my life. Never did I dream I would actually have the opportunity to sail on one! My experience aboard the USA-11 was amazing! I had the opportunity to help the crew hoist the sail, grind the winches and even drive the boat :) I highly recommend this once in a lifetime experience with this incredible crew! I am lucky to live in San Diego, but only recently learned of this great way to spend the day! Great views of downtown San Diego, the harbor and Coronado Island. I can't wait to sail with the USA-11 team again!!!!!!! Well worth it :)

Reviewed January 15, 2010

I've been sailing for about 15 years now and never quite had an experience like the one I had with Stars and Stripes. I have never been on a boat that was so big and powerful. Being able to drive was a dream come true! Capt. Lynn was wonderful the whole time and the rest of the crew did a great job making everything run smoothly. I can't wait to get back out with them for another sail. I'm living in San Diego now and I just can't wait to join them again.

Reviewed January 6, 2010

We've all been there: stripped down ex race boats with rags for sails and less than motivated crew. Last one I was on had the first reef bolted in with blocks because the
cringles had gone south.

Not "Stars and Stripes". She's a fully tuned Farr 60 with laminate sails, all running
gear in top shape, even an unusually clean bottom for a tour boat. Best of all, the crew
was really sharp. They were patient with the non sailors and proud to allow experienced
guests a turn at grinding, driving, even jib pit.

As a die hard PHRF racer I enjoyed watching Captain Lynn's mates put the boat through
her paces. As an ASA instructor I appreciated the efforts the crew took to ensure every
guest had a memorable sail.

Grab your sailing gloves and go, you won't regret it.

John Ryan
San Francisco

1  Thank beamreach
See more reviews
Reviewed January 6, 2010

My friend and I flew out to San Diego to visit his daughter over the holiday break. In preparation for this trip I searched for things to do and happened upon this sailing tour. They were extremely responsive during the planning and preparation stages - Lynn was wonderful. On the day of the trip the four of us arrived with a cooler of beverages and snacks that could have lasted a weekend. They never complained - they just smiled and brought everything on board - little did we know that our 3 hrs would be so exciting that we barely made a dent in the cooler. They were extremely accomodating - if you wanted to help - then the opportunities were plentiful but if you weren't comfortable with it you didnt have to and there was no pressure either way.
Everyone on board the boat seemed to have a great time and my party of four loved it! We were fortunate enough to have gotten a slightly overcast day which provided some of the best sailing weather. We would go back in an instant. And if you go make sure to ask for the special hot buttered rum!