Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

from $45.00
from $42.00
from $59.99
More Info
All reviews america's cup captain lynn san diego bay grinder racing yacht entire crew friendly crew great boat great afternoon bucket list unique experience once in a lifetime three hours shelter island coronado bridge helm knots
Selected filters
Reviewed July 8, 2017 via mobile

Took the boat out on a charter had a blast! The owners are super friendly. I also thought it was a value . Highly recommend.

Date of experience: May 2017
Reviewed July 7, 2017

This was the best way to see San Diego Bay we have experienced yet, and was so much fun along the way! My friends and I felt both entertained and like we'd been part of a renewing team-building experience at the same time. I had seen boats race on television for years and been impressed by the amount of teamwork required to run these boats, so this in-person experience gave me just the thrill I craved of operating such a fine boat under nature's wind power. The USA-11 staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and great teachers about the sailing process as well as the sights around the bay. Whether you have no experience or are adept in the arts of sailing, this would be a rewarding trip, as the participation level is entirely up to you and can be tailored to all levels of ability. I strongly recommend this as a special experience not-to-be-forgotten on your San Diego itinerary!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

There's a reason this seems to be in the top five of locals' recommendations when visiting San Diego. Everyone on the boat had a real team focus, and ensured that everyone got a chance to participate in racing the boat. 6-year old kids, elderly men and women, those who had never been on a boat before, etc; everyone got to do as much or as little as they wanted at the helm or on the winches. Every action we took had an impact on the boat speed. As an avid sailor I think it's fantastic that the general population gets a chance to race an America's Cup boat, and in beautiful San Diego harbor no less!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon on the Stars & Stripes. Bee gave a fantastic history of the sport of sailing and sail boats and gave us keep sakes to boot. I was personally thrilled with the day. As to the review about women being discriminated against and not allowed to grind winches, that did not occur on our boat at all! We even had teenage children of both sexes participating, and could've as much as they wanted too. To be under the big sails was awesome, and it was fun when the boat was leaning way over in the water going fast. We thought it was well worth the money and a fun event for the weekend.

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

My family and I sailed aboard this historic and pristine racing yacht during a visit to San Diego in late June. I am an avid sailor, and must say that this is an outstanding experience and a must do for both sailors and non-sailors alike.

The boat is in AMAZING condition for being 25 years old. Everything is original, and looks exactly as it did when Dennis Connor raced it in 1992. We sailed on a Saturday afternoon, and there were a decent amount of other boats in the bay. We were easily the fastest sailboat on the water.... even passing some of these pesky powerboats!

The crew are a fantastic bunch of knowledgeable sailors... very funny too. Dr. Mark (one of the owners) knew everything there was to know about the boat, and was able to articulately answer all my questions. Capt. Lynn and his wife Bee were very professional and kind.

My wife, daughter and I got plenty of time to grind the winches and actually steer the boat through all the tacks and gybes. She especially enjoyed grinding the winches and thought it was such a great, interactive experience.

The sail is a 3 hour experience, with complimentary beverages (including alcohol!!!). There is even a dedicated photographer taking pictures of everyone/everything, and even the pictures are free! This is the best bang for your buck when it comes to interactive water experiences in San Diego.

Date of experience: June 2017