“Superb sights and a rejuvenating San Diego experience!”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 7, 2017

This was the best way to see San Diego Bay we have experienced yet, and was so much fun along the way! My friends and I felt both entertained and like we'd been part of a renewing team-building experience at the same time. I had seen boats race on television for years and been impressed by the amount of teamwork required to run these boats, so this in-person experience gave me just the thrill I craved of operating such a fine boat under nature's wind power. The USA-11 staff were friendly, knowledgeable, and great teachers about the sailing process as well as the sights around the bay. Whether you have no experience or are adept in the arts of sailing, this would be a rewarding trip, as the participation level is entirely up to you and can be tailored to all levels of ability. I strongly recommend this as a special experience not-to-be-forgotten on your San Diego itinerary!

All reviews
in 13 reviews
"sea lions"
in 11 reviews

Reviewed July 6, 2017

There's a reason this seems to be in the top five of locals' recommendations when visiting San Diego. Everyone on the boat had a real team focus, and ensured that everyone got a chance to participate in racing the boat. 6-year old kids, elderly men and women, those who had never been on a boat before, etc; everyone got to do as much or as little as they wanted at the helm or on the winches. Every action we took had an impact on the boat speed. As an avid sailor I think it's fantastic that the general population gets a chance to race an America's Cup boat, and in beautiful San Diego harbor no less!

Reviewed July 6, 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon on the Stars & Stripes. Bee gave a fantastic history of the sport of sailing and sail boats and gave us keep sakes to boot. I was personally thrilled with the day. As to the review about women being discriminated against and not allowed to grind winches, that did not occur on our boat at all! We even had teenage children of both sexes participating, and could've as much as they wanted too. To be under the big sails was awesome, and it was fun when the boat was leaning way over in the water going fast. We thought it was well worth the money and a fun event for the weekend.

Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

My family and I sailed aboard this historic and pristine racing yacht during a visit to San Diego in late June. I am an avid sailor, and must say that this is an outstanding experience and a must do for both sailors and non-sailors alike.

The boat is in AMAZING condition for being 25 years old. Everything is original, and looks exactly as it did when Dennis Connor raced it in 1992. We sailed on a Saturday afternoon, and there were a decent amount of other boats in the bay. We were easily the fastest sailboat on the water.... even passing some of these pesky powerboats!

The crew are a fantastic bunch of knowledgeable sailors... very funny too. Dr. Mark (one of the owners) knew everything there was to know about the boat, and was able to articulately answer all my questions. Capt. Lynn and his wife Bee were very professional and kind.

My wife, daughter and I got plenty of time to grind the winches and actually steer the boat through all the tacks and gybes. She especially enjoyed grinding the winches and thought it was such a great, interactive experience.

The sail is a 3 hour experience, with complimentary beverages (including alcohol!!!). There is even a dedicated photographer taking pictures of everyone/everything, and even the pictures are free! This is the best bang for your buck when it comes to interactive water experiences in San Diego.

See more reviews
Reviewed July 5, 2017

I have been sailing in San Diego for a few years and always admired watching this sailboat make circles around EVERYONE else in the bay. When I eventually got to sail USA11, I was in complete awe. The captain, mate and crew are a well oiled machine. They encourage participation in the hands on sailing of the vessel which was a true highlight. Most of the crew are volunteers which means all of them come because they are passionate about providing you with a top notch sailing experience. You will not be disappointed! If you are a sailor or non-sailor, this is the venue for you. I have been multiple times and will come back again soon. Thank you!