Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?

149 Reviews
from $54.00
from $21.00
More Info
All reviews america's cup san diego bay grinder racing yacht captain and crew great boat great afternoon bucket list unique experience once in a lifetime three hours shelter island coronado bridge lynn helm knots grinding
Selected filters
Reviewed July 6, 2017

We thoroughly enjoyed our afternoon on the Stars & Stripes. Bee gave a fantastic history of the sport of sailing and sail boats and gave us keep sakes to boot. I was personally thrilled with the day. As to the review about women being discriminated against and not allowed to grind winches, that did not occur on our boat at all! We even had teenage children of both sexes participating, and could've as much as they wanted too. To be under the big sails was awesome, and it was fun when the boat was leaning way over in the water going fast. We thought it was well worth the money and a fun event for the weekend.

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed July 5, 2017 via mobile

My family and I sailed aboard this historic and pristine racing yacht during a visit to San Diego in late June. I am an avid sailor, and must say that this is an outstanding experience and a must do for both sailors and non-sailors alike.

The boat is in AMAZING condition for being 25 years old. Everything is original, and looks exactly as it did when Dennis Connor raced it in 1992. We sailed on a Saturday afternoon, and there were a decent amount of other boats in the bay. We were easily the fastest sailboat on the water.... even passing some of these pesky powerboats!

The crew are a fantastic bunch of knowledgeable sailors... very funny too. Dr. Mark (one of the owners) knew everything there was to know about the boat, and was able to articulately answer all my questions. Capt. Lynn and his wife Bee were very professional and kind.

My wife, daughter and I got plenty of time to grind the winches and actually steer the boat through all the tacks and gybes. She especially enjoyed grinding the winches and thought it was such a great, interactive experience.

The sail is a 3 hour experience, with complimentary beverages (including alcohol!!!). There is even a dedicated photographer taking pictures of everyone/everything, and even the pictures are free! This is the best bang for your buck when it comes to interactive water experiences in San Diego.

Date of experience: June 2017
Reviewed July 5, 2017

I have been sailing in San Diego for a few years and always admired watching this sailboat make circles around EVERYONE else in the bay. When I eventually got to sail USA11, I was in complete awe. The captain, mate and crew are a well oiled machine. They encourage participation in the hands on sailing of the vessel which was a true highlight. Most of the crew are volunteers which means all of them come because they are passionate about providing you with a top notch sailing experience. You will not be disappointed! If you are a sailor or non-sailor, this is the venue for you. I have been multiple times and will come back again soon. Thank you!

Date of experience: July 2017
Reviewed July 5, 2017

The sailing, the crew, the owner, everything about this was incredible! If you have sailed before or if this is your first time you will not be disappointed. Sailing on The Stars & Stripes SailUSA11 is like no other experience. We were in San Diego for the week and this was by far the best activity we did. I am scheduled to be in San Diego next year and we will be back on the boat.

Date of experience: March 2017
Reviewed July 2, 2017

Don't expect to be allowed to grind the winches if you are female. The men got to do it and a few of the women got a brief chance. I suppose the men have better money or something. It was a huge disappointment. I even asked a crew member when the women would get a turn and was told "later". I guess later hasn't happened yet. The only appeal of this was the promise that EVERYONE could be a part. If we had wanted to just ride around, we could have found a much cheaper boat.
As far as the promised snacks...they did pass around a large container of pretzels and a large container of peanuts. The drawback was that everyone was reaching into the same container. That's okay...I suppose...if you want everyone else's germs.
Women did get a chance to take the helm for a few minutes. Of course the men got to do that, also, when they weren't busy doing more fun things. I would rate this right up there with driving antique cars at an amusement park.
This could have been enjoyable if they had let everyone participate. Since they don't, I would recommend a much cheaper boat if you just want to ride around the harbor a bit.
The free photos were nice. That is really the only good thing about this. Ladies, don't waste your money! This was a huge disappointment. It has been a long time since I have experienced such blatant discrimination.

Date of experience: June 2017
Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded July 4, 2017

Thanks for your review and we apologize for your experience. We will take your advice and make sure that everyone gets a fair chance to participate in the full experience of our venue in the future.