“Completely wonderful afternoon of sailing!”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed November 30, 2016

Have to admit I was a little nervous about a last-minute invitation to sail on an America's Cup racing yacht since I'm not an overly adventurous type, but later couldn't even believe I'd hesitated for a moment. What a fabulous experience! The afternoon spent on San Diego Bay was wonderful. Watching the experienced crew members was fascinating all by itself, and being able to participate was double-fun. Passengers were offered the opportunity to get involved to the extent they wanted to, given encouragement but no pressure at all. I accepted the challenge to steer the ship for awhile - wow! - and felt secure because of the calm coaching and close attention provided by the captain. The sailboat is pristine, is thrillingly fast and yet provides an amazingly smooth ride. The charter operator limits the number of people allowed on the sailboat so it wasn't crowded, giving it the feeling of being on a private sailing yacht with a group of friends. The friendly and entertaining personalities of the crew set a good atmosphere of camaraderie which carried over to the entire group on board; so by the end of the excursion we really did feel like we were among friends. There was a person on board who's main role was to snap photos constantly upon request -- so no need to cling onto my cellphone/camera or attempt awkward selfies -- which were then made accessible via a private link emailed to passengers. Refreshments were served onboard plus there was a mini-reception afterwards for those who wanted to ask more questions or just linger awhile longer after disembarking. Oh, and we first attended the extra presentation (included with ticket) about the America's Cup races and the Stars and Stripes-11 history which was given prior to boarding. Very informative and a good foundation for enjoying the sailing experience even more, so don't miss that. Would highly recommend this unique memorable activity while in San Diego. Sure hope I have the chance to sail with them again. Thank you Captain Lynn and First Mate Bee and your extraordinary crew members!

Date of experience: October 2016
in 136 reviews
"knots"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed November 30, 2016 via mobile

I would like to start by thanking all the crew and staff of the Stars n Stripes. Special thank you goes out to Capt Glen for letting me hamm at the Helm. I had an amazing time aboard and this was the highlight of my very first trip to CA. I researched other sailing options in San Diego Bay but you guys topped my list. If anyone is even thinking about taking a sailing trip on the bay, Stars n Stripes is a must do. Whether you are experienced sailor or first time on the water, you will hava an amazing voyage. Thanks again to all and Happy Holidays

Reviewed November 29, 2016

My wife and I greatly enjoyed our afternoon of sailing on the Stars & Stripes. The captain & crew were super friendly and those passengers who wanted helped the crew manage the sails. The captain also permitted several passengers the opportunity to steer the boat. What a remarkable boat it is! smooth as glass and super responsive to steering changes. Truly a highlight of our San Diego trip.

Reviewed November 23, 2016

Sailing on Stars & Stripes USA-11 is a great way to see San Diego from the water. We have been on many sailing charters before and this was a great experience and a rare opportunity to sail on a world class racing yacht. The experience is interactive in that you have the opportunity to steer the yacht, and assist the crew with the sails. The crew is very friendly and knowledgeable. For fans of yacht racing, be sure to attend the presentation on the history of the America's Cup beforehand as it is very informative about the history of this great event. Overall it is a very enjoyable day, suitable for both beginners and experienced sailors, and the best yacht charter that I have attended.