“Best sailing experience I ever had”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed August 27, 2009

I just got home from sailing on the Stars and Strips, Sail USA 11, a retired Americas Cup racing boat, and wow, what a fun time! The boat is quick, and slices through the water, no problems with rolling or sea sickness, due to most of the weight of the boat being at the bottom of the massive keel, under water. The crew was extremely friendly, like they had known you your whole life. You have your choice of just sitting back and enjoying the ride and the scenery, or taking a turn steering the boat, and you can help run the grinding winches to trim the sails to turn the boat (and does this thing turn on a dime! I was amazed that such a large boat could turn so nimbly -- it's like a sports car on water!). I highly recommend you take a ride on the Stars and Strips Sail USA 11, when visiting San Diego (or if you live here, like me!).

All reviews
in 136 reviews
"knots"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed August 27, 2009

I took 13 women on the Stars and Stripes for a Teambuilding event. Everyone had a great time. The crew were friendly and professional and definitely knew what they were doing. Everyone on board could do as much or a little as they were comfortable with. From stearing to raising sails it was a special day. Annie really made the experience come allive with real sailing tales. Everyone felt confident aboard and (even those who were very skeptical ) enjoyed the opportunity to help sail the boat when offered. Marnie was great at geting us all scheduled and lunches ordered, helped make everything perfect.

Reviewed August 27, 2009

My 17 year old daughter and I sailed on the Stars and Stripes while visiting colleges in the San Diego area. It was one of the most awesome experiences we've shared. I shared the historic nature of the boat with her before our trip, how exciting the America's Cup competition has always been. The staff was very helpful in setting up the trip, and the dock was pretty easy to find. Before, during and after our sail, the crew was super friendly. And, we were encouraged to actually join the crew in sailing the boat, from raising the sails to grinding the winches, to actually taking the helm and sailing this beautiful boat. The only disappointment was that we only sailed the harbor and did not take the boat out into open Pacific waters. We were told they sometimes sail into open waters, depending on the winds. All in all, I highly recommend this experience in San Diego.

Reviewed August 26, 2009

This was a surprise for my husband on our 19th Anniversary. He is a difficult person to surprise, and even more difficult to impress. This day I did both! He was ear-to-ear smiles the entire day. The weather was perfect, and the crew was delightful. They were easy going but professional. They made us feel like we were out with friends for the day. The ride was both exciting and relaxing...a perfect day! And ours was by far the most impressive boat we saw all day. Well maintained, and first class! We were the envy of every other boater we saw. When a passer-by would shout, "Wow, nice boat!" we would just smile and say, "Thanks!" We felt like we were living the lifestyles of the rich and famous. "Things to do in San Diego" are a dime a dozen....but this is an unforgetable experience. Don't leave San Diego without sailing the Stars and Stripes!!!! ....Teresa V., Lancaster, CA

See more reviews
Reviewed August 26, 2009

I took a girls trip to San Diego and stumbled across the SAIL-USA-11's website. After a little bit of research the girls and I decided to just go for it, none of us had ever been sailing before and weren't quite sure what to expect. We show uped the morning of sailing expecting just to be towed around for a few hours...but BOY WERE WE WRONG! The weather was amazing and the water was mesmorizing! We could not have asked for a more amazing experience, Captain Lynn and his crew more than welcoming, taught us more about sailing (from our hands on moments of the trip) than we could have comprehended from just sitting on the side of the boat and listening. The girls trip was 1 week long and we all agreed that the day of Sailing was our favorite and most memoriable part of the entire trip! It beat the zoo and every other activity we planned for the trip. I would go sailing with Captain Lynn and his crew again any day-and 100 times over!"