Open today: 9:00 AM - 6:00 PM
Book In Advance
Tours from Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11 tend to sell out - travelers recommend booking in advance!
Why Book on TripAdvisor?
  • Tour highlights & full itinerary
  • Easy online booking
  • Lowest price guaranteed
More Information

All reviews america's cup captain lynn san diego bay grinder photos and videos racing boat friendly crew great boat bucket list an amazing experience three hours sea lions helm yacht knots grinding winch
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Loads of fun on the 1992 Americas cup boat. Active participation with rigging and sailing this beautiful sail boat. The massive sail is impressive. The crew is great and goes the distance to make sure everyone has a good time.

1  Thank jackn128
Reviewed September 17, 2018

I am a long time sailor of small boats so when I get a chance to go out on a classic big boat I jump. This boat was involved in the '92 America's cup. It's a racing machine and yet the ride on the water was smooth as glass.San Diego weather is perfect for sailing most days, 10 to 15knts of wind, sunshine. If you go in the summer, you can bring a wind breaker but you won't need it. Definitely bring a hat with a chin strap as it's easy to lose it if you aren't paying attention.

They "let" you crank the winches, which most people get tired of after one or two times, but if you want you can winch all day long. As there are three stations each with two positions so 6 people could if they wanted to crank away for every tack, although in general 2 is enough people power to adjust the sails. Everyone gets a chance at driving, they watch the time carefully so everyone gets a nice long turn. The skipper is right there alongside you, so no experience driving is necessary.

All in all, one of the best things to do in San Diego. I for sure will go out again!

And yes, get there early for the video and lecture on the history of the America's cup.

1  Thank DoryGuy
Reviewed September 12, 2018 via mobile

I had a sail boat many years ago. A San Juan 24’ named Sun Shine Express. How I loved to sail. I had to sell her and many years later I bought a smaller sail boat. Fun but not as exciting. To the point, we were in San Diego this week and I made a reservation via email. Booked it for my husband and myself. This is my just another boat. It competed in the America Cup. It was amazing. The wind, sun and the large scale of mast, winches, sheets, I could go on. Please take the time to look at on line. It is a dream for me hat came true. If you only do it once - take the time and live the experience. They also do private sails.

1  Thank Jean M
Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to provide an excellent review of our America's Cup experience. We enjoyed having you on board Stars & Stripes.

Reviewed July 19, 2018

Just stepping on the boat was amazing, being able to raise the mainsail, trim the headsail and drive the yacht was a bucket list leader for me. Awesome crew, great views and pretty good speed for a big boat. Daughter had a great time. Loved watching the Americas Cup with these boats, Stars & Stripes was my favorite and still is. Great job USA-11. Must do when in San Diego!

Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded July 20, 2018

Thanks for the comprehensive review of sailing aboard Stars & Stripe on San Diego Bay and good to know your daughter also had fun.

Reviewed July 15, 2018

This is a great way to see San Diego's Big Bay and have fun doing it. Don't worry that you are going to get thrashed around and seasick unless it is a super, super, SUPER windy day and there are huge white caps all over the bay. Even then this boat is so well designed and smooth I doubt even then you would get sick. But then that could be fun too ;-) With that being said you do not want to go out on a dead calm day either because you will miss the whole fun of sailing with the sails up.

The regular large boat bay cruises I have been on are fun but I think this one is the BEST.

They tack back and forth across the bay so you REALLY get to see much more of the bay then if you just past by something once which is what happens on the bay cruises.

In addition you will get a chance to steer the boat and take a turn at the cranks for bringing the sails up and tacking so you get to experience a bit of what is was like to race this boat.

The crew is super nice and the 3 hours seems to go by way too fast.

So if you are from out of town or even a local I highly recommend this trip.

And as long as you are down on Shelter Island there are several restaurants that have great views after your sail like the Bali Hai or Coastterra or if it is a nice day reserve an outside table at the Kona Kai's Vessel's restaurant and get a nice view of your boat and the Kona Kai marina while you dine. And don't forget to save time to walk beautiful Shelter Island.

Tip- Make sure to get there early to watch the video presentation that takes place 30 minutes BEFORE the sail. Even if you think you know everything about sailing and the America's Cup it is very interesting and makes the sail that much more fun.

Also the crew is 90% volunteer so if you enjoyed your sail I am sure they would appreciate a tip which you can drop in the jar after the sail which is located in the office

And no need for a cell phone or camera that you could lose overboard because they will take all the pictures and send them to your email address for no extra charge!

2  Thank boxingpam
Reviewed July 6, 2018

Be sure to arrive 30 minutes before the sail and take advantage of the history of the American Cup. You can tell that the Crew that works on the sail boat LOVES what they do. We took both our teenage sons (13 &16) they had a blast and you know how hard it is to please a teenager. They were able to grind the sails and captain the boat. Another perk included on this tour was they took ALL the photos and emailed them to you the next day. This allowed us to sit back and enjoy. I will defiantly be back to sail on this boat next summer. Thank you to the Crew for providing my family with a day we will never forget!

1  Thank Bridgette S
Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded July 7, 2018

Thanks for the great review and glad to hear that the teenagers had fun. We look forward to having you back next year.

Reviewed July 1, 2018

Great time, weather always perfect in SD. Wonderful views of the city, harbor, Midway, Coronado, and all the boats on the water. Very fun (and safe). The Captain (Lynn) and crew made everyone feel part of the crew. Seeing the other America's cup boat (Il Moro) was a fabulous bonus. Fun for sailors and everyone else too.

Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded July 2, 2018

Thanks for taking the time to give future travelers an excellent overview of our venue. We hope to see you back on board one of our America's Cup racing yachts in the near future.

Reviewed June 11, 2018

Four of us had a wonderful afternoon on Stars & Stripes USA-11. All of the crew and support staff were outstanding. We would recommend this without a doubt - it was the highlight of our week in San Diego. Bill, MaryLynn, Joe, and Peggy.

Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2018

Thanks for your comments and we're happy that could provide a memorable event for your trip to San Diego.

Reviewed June 6, 2018

We had a wonderful time out on the Bay with the Stars and Stripes. Everyone was so nice and professional. They love sailing and it shows! We could do as much or as little as we wanted. Everyone was knowledgeable and the history is really cool. It is just a few hours, but a full experience. Very "San Diego"!

1  Thank cmx2018
Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded June 7, 2018

Thanks for your review and it's good to know we are offering an enjoyable San Diego experience.

Reviewed June 2, 2018

The brief talk on the history of the America's Cup race was a great way to start the experience! The sail was fabulous! The host and hostess made sure that everyone was comfortable and they allowed anyone who had an interest to participate as a crew member. We sailed into the San Diego harbor and enjoyed the views and the travel log as we passed points of interest! The whole experience was terrific and of great value for the money spent! I recommend this experience to all!

Captain_Lynn, Owner at Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2018

Thanks for such a thorough review of our experience.