“"Action Packed Day"”

and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 3, 2012

We went on "The Stars and Stripes" thinking it would be fun and a we could watch the crew show us how it is "really" done. Well I was delighted to actually get to help the crew and be involved in the sail. Everyone was comfortable and no one had to do anything they didn't want to. The Captain and crew made everything so easy we all got to participate. I would recommend this for anyone of any age. This would also be a great Corporate team event.

Thank you to Captain and Crew!

All reviews
in 136 reviews
"knots"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed July 3, 2012

My wife and I had a wonderful afternoon with the crew of the Stars and Stripes. The crew did not treat us like tourists in the way of things, but as students. We worked the wenches, the wheel, and learned how to jibe. Its a thrill and a bit nerve wracking to take the wheel with a harbor full of active boats and tack and jibe. What a great three hours.

Date of experience: July 2012
Reviewed July 2, 2012

If sailing on an America's Cup yacht is not on your to do list, it should be. Owner / skipper Lynn and crew provide a truly enjoyable experience on the Bay. 2500 s.f. of sail gets you around in a hurry as you sail low on the water. Other sail boats seem diminutive as they pass by. The crew members (all volunteer) are happy to share their extensive knowledge of sailing and the boat. Participating on the grinders (if you want to) as well as taking the helm is great fun. Beautiful scenery, cool fresh air----what could be better. Overall great value for the $.

Reviewed July 2, 2012

I went on the Stars & Stripes 3 hour sail last week and had a great time! It was the perfect event for someone that likes to sail. I helped raise the huge sails and steer the boat and had a blast. I have been sailing my whole life and this moment topped them all. The crew was fun and it was a great experience for a fun day in San Diego!

See more reviews
Reviewed July 1, 2012

I've lived in San Diego for almost 4 years and just discovered "The Stars and Stripes". It was tons of fun and a great new perspective on the city I now call home. If your in San Diego and have a few extra hours (I know, it's difficult to find extra time as there is so much to do here) you can't miss with this excursion (dolphins, air craft carriers, the Coronado Bridge etc. etc.). The crew on the boat is energetic and comical and you get to take part if you want in raising the riggings, steering the boat and lots of other stuff. There are lots of tours you can take of the Big Bay but this one gives you the most intimate and interactive experience. It is not, I repeat NOT a hokey "tourist" experience. I'll definitely be back!