“I'm not a sailor, but this is a blast”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed May 20, 2012

I've never been sailing before riding the Stars & Stripes USA-11, and I had a blast. I was with a group that did a private charter, and the entire trip was enjoyable, relaxing, memorable and fun. Our group got to help their crew with the sailing process, and each one of us even got to drive the boat for a while. Stars and Stripes even provided a nice digital camera, and we got to see the photos right after we docked (plus they gave us a link to download them for free, which was an unexpected and nice bonus).

As one without "sea legs," I was worried that I would get sea sick or just tired of being on the boat, and that never happened, not even once. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed being on the water, hearing the stories from the crew and being a "sailor" for an afternoon.

If you're in San Diego and you're looking for something different to do, I highly recommend this experience! Thanks, Captain Hanna and crew!

1  Thank 15glaser
in 136 reviews
"knots"
in 54 reviews

Reviewed May 20, 2012

What an amazing day on the water. The boat is incredible and the crew makes the trip so enjoyable! Definitely one of the best ways to spend a beautiful day in San Diego. Highly recommend this to anyone who is in town on vacation or locals looking for something to do.

2  Thank jayg23
Reviewed May 20, 2012

TripAdvisor helped us choose this amazing company. Captain Lynn could steer this boat with his eyes closed!!! We had a small group on a cloudy day, but that allowed us more time at the wheel!! I got to steer the boat UNDER the Coronado Bridge. How cool is that!! I thought for sure the top of the mast was going to hit the bottom of the bridge. The crew makes you feel like you are one of the family. We went back to the office and had drinks and snacks while we watched the video of the trip. If you don't want to help sail this yacht, then kick back and enjoy the skyline of San Diego. My husband did NOT get seasick...but he did when we kayaked the day before in LaJolla. We can see why the crew is hooked on sailing especially when it is cruising effortlessly through the bay.

1  Thank read_to_lead
Reviewed May 20, 2012

We took an afternoon sail on the former (1992) America's Cup sailing boat, Stars and Stripes USA 11. It was a wonderful way to see and experience the beauty of the San Diego Bay. We sailed past the historic ships in the bay, the buildings downtown, and the newest Navy stealth warship. We even helped sail this amazing vessel. We were warm, comfortable and thoroughly entertained.
Maxim Ropes