“Quintessential San Diego experience”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed July 6, 2011

Sailing on USA-11 is a dream come true for anyone with any interest in sailing, even if you've never done it before. Sit back and relax or get in on the action. You'll have a blast being the center of attention for the entire bay as you silently pass all the other sailboats.

Date of experience: July 2011
in 54 reviews
"grinding"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed June 28, 2011

I found this on Trip Advisor and it stuck out as something different. I love sailing and the water, but this was a truly unique experience sailing on an America's Cup yacht. My wife and kids are not sailors nor fond of the water and this was the highlight of their trip. Can't say enough about the friendly and informative crew. They were great. HIGHLY recommended.

Reviewed June 22, 2011

This is what bucket list's are made of. Sailing at it's finest on a perfect sunny day with just the right amount of wind in San Diego Bay. Beautifully maintained sailboat by a professional and personal crew. They even let me sail It !

Date of experience: June 2011
Reviewed June 21, 2011

I decided to take the splurge after reading all the great reviews. I thought if the trip could be half as great as all the reviews it would be worth it, was I wrong. It was better than all the reviews. and more than we could have imagined. I am 51 and had never sailed before and neither had any of my children, ages 25,23,and 19.
We ALL and I mean ALL could not stop smiling and saying this will be a day that will always be remembered. The boat is super clean, the staff treat you like royalty. The views, the snacks, drinks, and the trivia history on everything we saw was beyond top notch. I also need to add that I sent the captain an email at 10:00pm asking if by chance he had an opening for the next day. I told him to call asap so we could make other plans. Much to my surprise he called me within 10 minutes and said he wasn't planning on going out tom. I understood and he asked if we could go the following day. Unfortunately I told him we were leaving and could not. He told me to give him some time to see if he could round up a crew. 15 minutes later he called and said we were own for one the next day. A couple of minutes later I was reading a detail emailed with directions etc. This boat is huge and takes at least 7 to operate. The crew went out of their way to explain everything and we all had fun helping. The crew are all professionals that LOVE sailing. My youngest boy,19, told the captain anytime (early or not) he needed an extra gopher or scrubber to call him and he would do just about anything for a chance to ride again.He lives in Pacific Beach. Again this is a teenager willing to wake up early and work for free, scrubbing decks, just for a chance to sail again-this should say it all.
This is one thing you need to do. I am a public school teacher and have a tight budget and this was splurge, hence the 10 pm email .I had spent three hours reading every review I could find on the boat. It was worth 3x the price and the many memories are priceless. Just do it! We bounded together as a family. This is great for people of all ages. Don't worry about getting seasick it is so smooth sailing. The only thing that would have made it better was being able to stay and do it again.

Date of experience: June 2011