“A true sailing experience”

Sail Stars & Stripes USA-11
Book In Advance
More Info
$125.00*
and up
Sail Stars and Stripes America's Cup Racing Yacht
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Public and private 3 hour sails aboard Stars & Stripes USA-11, the authentic 1992 America's Cup racing yacht sailed by Dennis Conner. Take the helm, grind the winches, or just hang on as this amazing high performance racer zips around San Diego Bay at twice the speed of the average sailboat. A truly unique and memorable experience. Soft drinks, water, peanuts, & pretzels are provided at no cost. You are welcome to bring your own camera, but a crew member will be taking complimentary photos & videos of all the action on board as well as the sights of San Diego Bay. After the sail, complimentary refreshments are served while viewing the days activities on our flat screen TV. The photos & videos will then be posted on Google Web Albums for free access and use. The total cost (no additional taxes or fees) of $125 for adults & $75 for children (5-18) is the best value and most exciting venue on San Diego Bay.
Useful Information: Activities for older children
Reviewed June 22, 2011

This is what bucket list's are made of. Sailing at it's finest on a perfect sunny day with just the right amount of wind in San Diego Bay. Beautifully maintained sailboat by a professional and personal crew. They even let me sail It !

Date of experience: June 2011
in 54 reviews
"grinding"
in 70 reviews

Reviewed June 21, 2011

I decided to take the splurge after reading all the great reviews. I thought if the trip could be half as great as all the reviews it would be worth it, was I wrong. It was better than all the reviews. and more than we could have imagined. I am 51 and had never sailed before and neither had any of my children, ages 25,23,and 19.
We ALL and I mean ALL could not stop smiling and saying this will be a day that will always be remembered. The boat is super clean, the staff treat you like royalty. The views, the snacks, drinks, and the trivia history on everything we saw was beyond top notch. I also need to add that I sent the captain an email at 10:00pm asking if by chance he had an opening for the next day. I told him to call asap so we could make other plans. Much to my surprise he called me within 10 minutes and said he wasn't planning on going out tom. I understood and he asked if we could go the following day. Unfortunately I told him we were leaving and could not. He told me to give him some time to see if he could round up a crew. 15 minutes later he called and said we were own for one the next day. A couple of minutes later I was reading a detail emailed with directions etc. This boat is huge and takes at least 7 to operate. The crew went out of their way to explain everything and we all had fun helping. The crew are all professionals that LOVE sailing. My youngest boy,19, told the captain anytime (early or not) he needed an extra gopher or scrubber to call him and he would do just about anything for a chance to ride again.He lives in Pacific Beach. Again this is a teenager willing to wake up early and work for free, scrubbing decks, just for a chance to sail again-this should say it all.
This is one thing you need to do. I am a public school teacher and have a tight budget and this was splurge, hence the 10 pm email .I had spent three hours reading every review I could find on the boat. It was worth 3x the price and the many memories are priceless. Just do it! We bounded together as a family. This is great for people of all ages. Don't worry about getting seasick it is so smooth sailing. The only thing that would have made it better was being able to stay and do it again.

Date of experience: June 2011
1  Thank pecanwoman
Reviewed June 7, 2011

I had a great time on the Stars and Stripes USA-11. The sail was very relaxing, even when we were going 11knots. We saw the beautiful city of San Diego and sailed under the Coronado Bridge. We all had a chance at the helm and the skipper was very patient with us. After the three hour sail we watched pics and videos of the trip with a drink in hand and smiles on our faces. Thank you Lynn and crew!!!

Reviewed June 1, 2011

I just had the most extraordinary sailing experience among Stars & Stripes USA11 for Memorial Day Weekend '11. Lynn Hanna, Captain, is such a kind, sweet gentleman who let everyone practice in helming the boat & a native of Bastrop, TX! If you're wanting to learn sailing & actually help out the crew, than this is the experience for you! The crew that I met, Marnie & Mario were absolutely polite & courteous & happy to have you on board! As a beginner sailor, this experience has taught me simple sailing basics & techniques. If you're used to driving w/the tiller like me, this would be great for you because Lynn will let you practice on steering the helm & preparing to tack when changing your course of direction! I have a passion for the water, and this experience exceeded all my expectations & more. Thank all of you guys among Stars & Stripes USA11 for the highlight of my first San Diego trip!!

~Noelle A. Muñoz