“Quaint area to spend a few hours shopping and relaxing”

Old Town San Diego State Historic Park
Ranked #23 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Historic site in downtown San Diego that recreates life in the Mexican and early American periods of 1821 to 1872.
Reviewed March 24, 2014

After spending all day at an amusement park, this is a wonderful outing to just stroll, stop for a bite, shop and relax. There are plenty of restaurants to choose from; individual merchants with unique gifts and a nice little park to just allow the kids to run around while you relax. It has a few museums and loads of history.

Write a ReviewReviews (4,704)

Reviewed March 23, 2014

The buildings here have been nicely restored and many of them have good exhibits which give a flavour of life as San Diego was getting going. We went on a Saturday so there were plenty of people in costume to give help and advice. Add in the Mexican market and this is a good day out that can take most of a day but in a relatively quiet and relaxed setting. In the evening there is a street of restauarnts and bars next to the Historic Park which was humming on the Friday night.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

A unique little town in SD with something for everyone. I traveled with my family, my parents, and my sister 's family and found this historic site to be of interest for all ages. My young kids (4 and 7), liked walking through the "horse" museum ( sorry I don't remember what the real name is) and mining for gems. Although we did not eat in Old Town, as we already had dinner plans, the Mexican style cuisine smelled wonderful. Shopping was also a plus where I found unique items to buy for my kids and hubby. There is also a trolley that you can take to get around town. If I had more time to see the town I would have done that too. Overall, a good experience.

Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

A wonderful place to walk around, spend some time shopping and eat. All the restaurants and bars are great. A lot of history to also take in and explore.

Reviewed March 20, 2014 via mobile

We stumbled on this place after leaving the train on our way to Petco Park. It really is quite interesting and the kids lived the history and the quaintness! Old fashioned sweet shops and the courthouse ! A really pleasant way to spend an afternoon. !