“great place!”

Ranked #23 of 430 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Historic site in downtown San Diego that recreates life in the Mexican and early American periods of 1821 to 1872.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“great place!”
Reviewed February 18, 2013

great place to visit on the weekends, they have dancers and live music in the courtyard. Lots of great shops and beautiful Mexican decor and jewelry. We love love the garden in the back of the courtyard, it's hidden, but a beautiful serene place to visit. Lots to do and see, street faire on Sat, lots of restaurants, nice place to spend the day

Visited February 2013

• Turkish first
River Falls, Wisconsin
11 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 17 helpful votes
“A Pleasant Surprise My Family Will Never Forget”
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Honestly we decided to go to Old Town simply because our hotel was one block from a light rail station and the light rail stops a few yards from the entrance to Old Town. Our expectations, based on reviews, were so low that we thought we would leave after a few hours and then head to some museums in Balboa Park.

Six hours later we had scrapped our plans to visit other places that day (we did go to Seaport Village for dinner that night) and every member of my family (my wife, my ten year old history crazy daughter, and my six year old boys boy) all had a fantastic time.

First off, all the attractions we visited were free. This left plenty of money for shopping.

I highly recommend visiting Fiesta de Reyes to start your visit. The stores (particularly the copper store) are fantastic. It is also a great chance to taste exotic olive oils and Mexican hot chocolate.

Old Town gives you the chance to learn about the history of one of America's great cities, shop for beautiful Mexican and Native American goods, eat some quality Mexican food in beautiful settings, and soak in the sun in beautiful green spaces.

Visited February 2013
3 Thank Blake F
Sydney
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Some great history, but I was underwhelmed”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

I liked this place a bit, but to tell you the truth, I was mostly bored.

There were too many recreations of shops and not much charm to be honest. I really did like the old carriages, however, but people in old costumes milling around and tacky shops - just not for me.

I was not with children, however, so this place might interest them a bit more. And the site is free.

OK - but don't worry if you give this a miss.

Visited October 2012
Temple City, California
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Nice Walk, lots to see”
Reviewed February 2, 2013

Loved seeing all the historical places, like the fist Court House, Estudillo's House, etc. The atmosphere at Casa de Reyes was fabulous.
Most of the stores have the same items.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank Marina J
Pueblo, Colorado
14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Relaxing and fun”
Reviewed February 1, 2013

This is a place I could just go back to over and over and enjoy the relaxed atmosphere. A great place to get away, walk around and see the old history of San Diego. Wonderful places to eat.

Visited January 2013