“Truly an Amazing Zoo”

Ranked #4 of 387 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
Reviewed December 8, 2014

I wasn't sure the zoo would live up to the hype, but it did! We were there on a Monday, and the crowds were manageable. I do recommend going straight for the giant pandas when the zoo opens (if they're on your list to see), because by 11 the line to see them was 45 minutes long. What I love most about this zoo is that when there is a huge line or crowd to see something typical, like a gorilla, you can turn around and see a whole habitat filled with beautiful and interesting birds. There's always something to look at. They use the space very well. We decided to only do general admission, as it was our first trip, and we had plenty to see from 10am to 4pm. When we go back, I will give some serious consideration to a 'behind the scenes' tour. I can imagine that would be well worth the money.

Write a ReviewReviews (25,169)
All reviews
in 282 reviews
"gondola"
in 275 reviews

Reviewed December 7, 2014

This park is great but honestly I feel that it's not as good as it could be. Coming from southern oregon where we have three great wildlife parks I think I would rather stay home and support the local parks. If you have never been to the San Diego zoo I recommend it at least once.

Reviewed December 7, 2014

We are avid zoo-goers and spent two days here. The behind-the-scenes tour was fabulous and our guide Danelle was great! We got to watch the orangutans get fed, see the pandas, meet an armadillo and two grey cockatoos and had a drive around the zoo in a little cart. Just walking around the zoo was great as well. The exhibits are fabulous and they have so many animals! Especially enjoyed the birds of prey exhibit and the tiger trail!

Reviewed December 7, 2014

Loved the zoo keepers talks. We bought our tickets as part of a hop on hop off trolley tour and got a discount on the admission.

See more reviews
Reviewed December 7, 2014

While I have mixed feelings about keeping wild and exotic animals in captivity, especially when profits are made off them, but I have to give the San Diego Zoo high marks all around. I definitely recommend going to the SD Zoo over SeaWorld, which tortures their aquatic mammals to perform like circus animals for profit.
In contrast, the SD Zoo offers spacious and lush accommodations for their animals and they work hard to help protect endangered species. The SD Zoo also offers educational programs for children and provides extensive research for saving exotic animals from extinction.
And as for entry fees, the cost of a one-day pass is $48 for adults (12 and older) and $38 for children (3-11). This is about half the cost of going to SeaWorld, which charges $86 for adults and $80 for children. C'mon man, are they (SeaWorld) kidding? What family of four can afford $332 for a visit to a theme park?
No, I will take visitors to the San Diego Zoo and enjoy seeing endangered animals such as Tigers (my favorites), Rhinos and Jaguars (my husband's favorite) live out their lives protected and not required to perform for profits. Go to the SD Zoo. You can bring a lunch, a baby stroller and enjoy a wonderful day without costing an arm and a leg.

1  Thank Jackie D