“One of the best Zoos”

San Diego Zoo with Transport from Anaheim
Ranked #2 of 435 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
New York City, New York
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 32 helpful votes
“One of the best Zoos”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I like to visit local zoos whenever I travel. I am a big animal person, and I find it fasinating to see the differences between locations. The most notable are always over sees. I have been to San Diego several times on business, but this was my first leisure trip. The zoo was my only must do while I was there. It did not disappoint. They had a great selection of animals. The best was the baby panda. The layout of the zoo is very hilly, so be prepared for a nice hike if you don't take the bus and want to see everything. I love the idea of seeing animals and getting excersize. I would certain buy a season pass if I was loca. I cannot recommned this zoo enough. Do not miss it.

PS not a great zoo for small children in strollers. I would suggest taking the bus option when you have kids, but even then it may be tough.

Visited September 2013

12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“I Understand The Hype”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

It's large, very large. Plan on a minimum of 5 hours to see everything. Grab the map upon entering the zoo as it will help you track what you have and haven't yet seen. They put a lot of effort into the exhibits. I was happy to have made this part of our trip out.

Yucaipa, California
“Always a fun and educational.”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Love the animals and their enclosures. The grounds and bathrooms are kept clean.
My only dislike is people that ignore the signs and rules.

San Francisco, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Well-Run Zoo!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We arrived San Diego Zoo straight from the airport via taxi and were happy to discover that they have lockers large enough for my carry-on bags. That was a big plus! We were also told that anything bigger can be checked in with guest services. The exhibits were fantastic! Fortunately for us, we went off-season which meant less crowds and a shorter line to see the 3 pandas. After the pandas, I didn't care what we saw the rest of the day since I've seen the other animals in other zoos. Still, their habitats are clean and the creatures looked healthy and happy.

1 Thank TravelMomWith2Kids
Midlothian, Virginia
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Fun place to visit!”
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We had discount tickets for the zoo that we picked up from a brochure at our hotel. Our visit was in October which was perfect weather and had fewer crowds (though there were still a lot of kids since they get in free the month of Oct.) Highly recommend the trolley tour first to get and overview of the park so you can decide where you want to focus your time. The tour was interesting and entertaining. If you buy a day pass, it is included in the price. The only long line was to see the pandas.....it moves fairly quickly and it was worth the wait. I had always wanted to go there and I was not disappointed.