“The Zoo”

San Diego Zoo
Ranked #4 of 453 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We had heard about this zoo, ocf course, but did not expect it to be so big and to have so many facilities. I bought the upgraded entry, so we did not have to stand on line.
We really enjoyed our visit. You have to pick and chose what you want to see. it is somewhat overwhelming. My husband has a little difficulty walking, so a ranger -Zoo personel person took us to the restaurant in a golf cart.
It is indeed a world class attraction.

Write a ReviewReviews (23,255)
All reviews
in 275 reviews
in 236 reviews
in 266 reviews

Reviewed January 20, 2013

We are from Fort Worth where the zoo is one of the best, but we were more than pleased with the San Diego Zoo. Here is what I suggest. Take the Monkey trail to the Panda Area. Then take the escalator to the polar bears. Take the Hippo Trail to the Tiger trail, back to the Monkey trail and dine at Albert's. Take an hour to relax then the trails back to the front. Take the air tram back to the polar bears, the elephant trail back to the front, and end the day with a relaxing bus tour that will show you the spots you missed. You can do this all in about 4.5 to 5.5 hours and not miss a thing at the zoo. Great adventure.

1  Thank Jeremy S
Reviewed January 20, 2013

We were told that this was the BEST zoo in the world, but lots of the exhibits were empty, and it was pretty expensive both for admission and to get anything to eat. The bird sanctuary was impressive, as were the polar bears! but one trip to this zoo is enough for me!

1  Thank Samantha W
Reviewed January 20, 2013

Just a perfect day to enjoy our first visit to the SD Zoo! It was jammed with people, however, is so well laid out that we didn't miss anything. We had a healthy delightful lunch as well.

See more reviews
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I'm not a HUGE fan of Zoos (don't like to see animals in cages)...but this one gets my vote as the best I've been to. To start, you can take the 35 minute double-decker bus ride that tours 70% of the zoo (but not the famous pandas). From there you can scope out what areas you'd like to go back and explore for the day. If you decide not to do the bus, you can explore on your own. There's a children's area with petting zoo (pygmy goats, sheep) and play area. Even though I'm 50 with no little kids, I still like to visit there. Be prepared to WALK, and walk a lot, and it's steep and hilly in parts. You can use the Express Bus system to avoid some of the walking though. There are stops scattered around the Zoo.
As I said, I don't like animals in cages, but this Zoo does a good job of protecting and breeding many rare animals that are now extinct in the wild. I believe it's a good thing to protect them rather than let the last of a species be taken by poachers.
In the winter it's less crowded, and in the summer, there are performers around the park. There's animal shows but I skipped those. You can easily spend 1-2 days exploring the Zoo. And don't miss the Carousel! It's between the Zoo and the Natural History Museum in Balboa Park, and a real treasure. Hope this review was helpful!