“Real Animals”

San Diego Zoo with Transport from Anaheim
Ranked #2 of 451 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Owner description: Founded in 1916, the Zoo has been an icon in San Diego for nearly 100 years—and an absolute must-see in Southern California. Spend the day monkeying around in our tropical oasis as you visit beautiful habitats that are home to gorillas, eagles, tigers, sun bears, Asian leopards, rare reptiles, a palette of colorful birds, and more. Visit the Australian Outback to delight in our colony of 24 koalas, and travel along Panda Trek to experience giant pandas and other animals that share their bamboo forest habitat. Go back in time through Elephant Odyssey to discover what animals used to roam Southern California and see what the elephants are up to. Enjoy a guided tour on a double-decker bus or the scenic view from the Skyfari aerial tram, and dine in the peaceful surroundings of Albert's Restaurant. Discover the wonders of wildlife with animal encounters, interactive experiences, and keeper chats. A leader in animal care and conservation, the San Diego Zoo is at the heart of the San Diego experience.
Reviewed September 4, 2012

I've been to a lot of Zoos, but the San DIego Zoo takes it to another level. If you like zoos, you MUST GO to the San Diego Zoo. You won't see another like it.

Write a ReviewReviews (22,443)

Reviewed September 4, 2012

The best zoo we have ever been to but prepare for a lot of walking up and down numerous stairs and walkways. The zoo is well kept and has a variety of animals from all over the world, including endangered species. A must see in San Diego.

It is overwhelming and I was pooped by the time we exited the park several hours later.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

We went to the zoo over Labor Day weekend and boy was it crowded! It was pretty warm and most of the animals did not seem to care for that. I would suggest a non-holiday weekend and on a cooler day. Most of the animals seemed to enjoy sleeping in their caves. We did, however, enjoy the new baby giraffes and the elephants. The polar bears were active as well. I did really love the escalators that they now have to get from the bottom of the hills to the top. We also took a bus tour and watched a Chinese acrobat show. (both were okay) I think it is a bit pricey at $42 per adult.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I hadn't been to the SD Zoo since I was a child. While this place is entertaining and quite large, not much better than any zoo you will find in and major metro city in my opinion. In fact I would say the Denver Zoo (where I live) is just as good.

Reviewed September 4, 2012

I admit the free admission at the National Zoo in Washington has spoiled me. The $42/each admission at the San Diego Zoo gave me a moment of sticker shock. The zoo has a diverse collection of animals (including giant pandas) and some fantastic exhibitions, especially the one of the giraffes. When we visited, we saw jaguar cubs and baby giraffes. The Discovery Tour (another $39/each) provided a great overview of the zoo. If you can afford it, the zoo and tour are worth it.