“Neat old house”

and up
Tequila, Tacos and Tombstones Culinary Tour
Ranked #113 of 452 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Owner description: Now a museum and state historical landmark, this is one of only two California houses recognized by the U.S. Commerce Department as being haunted.
Reviewed July 8, 2012

I was more interested in the historical significance of this mansion. Considering the era it was built, this place would have been a spectacle.

All reviews
in 15 reviews
in 16 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed July 7, 2012

First the caveat - we used the San Diego Go Cards to visit the Whaley House so it was included in our overall expense. If you have a Go Card, are in Old Town, and can spare 10 minutes go ahead and check out the Whaley House.

At $6 per adult the Whaley House tour translates to about $36/hour for entertainment. Outside of the intrigue of the "America's Most Haunted House" claim there is not much here. Yes, the house is 150 years old but the prior occupants don't have much historical significance. There is no interesting architecture and the furnishings are overwhelmingly period antiques with no connection to the home or family. The tour is self guided and the full historical learning opportunity is captured on a 2 page handout with little additional information inside the home. There are some staff members inside wearing period dress but beyond reciting their personal experiences with purported spirits they have little to add.

In comparison I recently paid about the same amount for a 1 hour tour of Benjamin Franklin's home in London which included rare artificacts and a talented actress who gave a vivid account of Franklin's life. It was, however, lacking any ghost claims.

Reviewed June 20, 2012

informative and fun for adults and kids!!!took my 4year old son and 9year brother and they had a blast!!!!!

Reviewed May 15, 2012

We were greeted at the entrance by someone dressed in character. You can walk from room to room as a self-guided tour and a sheet of paper describing what was in each room. Most of the rooms were blocked off by glass, so you couldn't actually walk "into" most of the rooms. It was interesting. Our 8 and 6-yr old boys enjoyed the idea of the house being haunted - we thought they'd be scared, but they weren't (probably because we visited during the day).

See more reviews
Reviewed May 9, 2012

I have recently come to the San Diego area on business for several months and since I enjoy the paranormal, I chose to check out the Whaley House. Since my first visit on April 13, 2012, which happened to also be Friday the 13th, I cannot seem to get enough. I have a Fuji digital camera and the photos I have gotten from my visits have been everything from comical to downright frightening! I always go during the daytime so the admission is a mere $6....not too costly for a couple hours of entertainment. I take multiple photos in each of the rooms and then of the outside windows. Many of my photos are posted on the Whaley House Facebook page for everyone to enjoy. Some of the photos of the ghosts include the Whaleys, native Americans, caricatures, animals, cartoon characters, demonic figures, the undead and a couple of what appear to be things from another world, for lack of a better term. I have seen things in my photos that are a bit troubling and others that send chills down my spine as I am scanning the photos for images. I have also experienced sensations inside the house such as a deep pressure in my chest while standing in the doorway of the master bedroom, a choking sensation in several areas of the house, cold spots and the hair on the back of neck and arms stand on end while in the kitchen area. On the outside of the house I have had the window in my viewfinder start moving in a circle while I was holding the camera perfectly still and then was overcome with a strong sense of nausea. There is no doubt in my mind there is a LOT of paranormal activity in that house and sometimes it does take being perceptive of what you are sensing to realize when you come across something. To truly improve your chances of capturing something in photos, take lots of them, download them on your computer and look closely because these guys do love to cheese for the camera and many times you will see them looking right back at you!!

2  Thank deacaro