“Too cutesy!”

Ranked #15 of 452 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Only at SeaWorld can you get close to dolphins, penguins, sharks and more. See awe-inspiring shows with magnificent killer whales, playful dolphins, humorous sea lions plus an amazing pet show featuring adopted animals. Dive under the sea at Explorer's Reef and touch a crab, shark, or playful cleaner fish. Experience exhilarating rides, roller coasters and water rides. See dozens of amazing attractions. Enjoy fresh California cuisine. Experience this beautiful park located on scenic Mission Bay. SeaWorld is a top-rated, all-age attraction and a must-see for any visit to San Diego. Have unforgettable fun that sparks a passion for wild animals and wild places.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Food available for purchase
Reviewed March 3, 2013

To start with...expensive. $78.00 for a day pass, and $70.00 for a child.
It was all clean and tidy...well looked after.
The animals' enclosures/tanks were as big as can be expected in a commercial zoo-like setting.
But...what's with the awful music and the hokey Disneyesque presentations? I think most of the people visiting Sea World are there to see the animals/fish...not people dressed up like characters flying around in the air and dancing to music with nauseatingly schmalty lyrics.
And the save our oceans presentations were just too forced. Everything was obviously scripted so did not come across as a real appeal, but more of a commercial.
I'm sure there are enough people out there who could speak from the heart about saving the planet without having to put words into their mouths.
Anyway...we will not be back. I think there must be something better to spend your money and time on when visiting San Diego.

1  Thank RobinsFolly
Write a ReviewReviews (8,689)

Reviewed March 2, 2013

We went to San Diego in February 2013 and took our son there. We went mid week to avoid the huge crowds. The park prices are about the same as you'd pay for any other entrance to a park, however I though that it was a bit cheeky they also charge you a $15 parking fee as well!
We bought our son a "one-on-one" to swim with the dolphins;its expensive but a once in a lifetime things all kids (and adults) should do! He loved it and got lots of time in the training pools with them and the trainers.
The rides are fun too and look well maintained. The park overall is immaculate and clean.
Plan the day around all the shows; seeing the Dolphin show was great as was seeing Shamu, the Orca whales. If you like getting wet and sit in the splash zones, take extra clothes! They have lockers you can rent out.
Overall, its a lovely place and well worth a trip.

Reviewed February 28, 2013

I liked this place, even though I thing it's too expensive for what it is. I was thinking that SeaWorld would be something else than a regular aquarium. I love animals and I love the possibility of seen a killer whale or a dolphin so close, what I don't like is to see such a big creature in a little pool (little for them). If you keep in mind their size and their original habitat it turns kind of sad how they have to live. I don't know why I thought they would be in gianormous tanks, and not so crowded. The poor polar bear was in a fake ice just waking on circles, without space.
The best part for me was to touch a ray. You can touch other animals like corals or sea stars (for this I think is better the Academy of Science in SFO). In theory you can touch dolphins, but you can imagine, they don't go to you for touching them...
The shows are very good, the dolphins one is a must see if you go (the first rows can get really soaked, so be careful). We couldn't see the killer whales' because there was a new born whale.
There're a couple of rides, but if you want rides go to Disneyland.
The parking is $15 and I think there's no options for public transportation.
Once you've parked you have to wait around 1 hour for getting your tickets. We got the tickets on the Internet, but the auto-checking machine didn't recognize it (a lot of people were in the same situation), so we had do wait the line anyway.
You can't take food with you and everything is very expensive. You can leave it in the car and they stamp your hand for coming back later.
It is very expensive for just another zoo.
If you're visiting San Diego for just a couple of days I would skip it.

Reviewed February 27, 2013

We eventually found an offer online to get tickets at a slightly discounted price. It's $78 for an adult to get in here and tbh i'm not sure that it's completely worth that cost.

They have some good shows on and you need to space yourself out during the day to get to them all as they fill up fast and if you want the soak zone get there early.

The baby killer whale was adorable and worth seeing.

Reviewed February 26, 2013

Always a great time at Sea World. My daughters have yearly passes and they got there all the time just to walk around with their kids.