“Get the ANNUAL Pass!”

Ranked #15 of 426 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Only at SeaWorld can you get close to dolphins, penguins, sharks and more. See awe-inspiring shows with magnificent killer whales, playful dolphins, humorous sea lions plus an amazing pet show featuring adopted animals. Dive under the sea at Explorer's Reef and touch a crab, shark, or playful cleaner fish. Experience exhilarating rides, roller coasters and water rides. See dozens of amazing attractions. Enjoy fresh California cuisine. Experience this beautiful park located on scenic Mission Bay. SeaWorld is a top-rated, all-age attraction and a must-see for any visit to San Diego. Have unforgettable fun that sparks a passion for wild animals and wild places.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Activities for young children
alberta
19 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 40 helpful votes
“Get the ANNUAL Pass!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My daughters absolutely LOVE SeaWorld! One day she wants to be a dolphin trainer. The absolute best way to see SeaWorld is with an Annual Pass if you have little kids. The first time we went our kids were 4 and 6 months old, (the annual pass was the same price as ONE DAY). So we bough it. We enjoyed 3 days (and with a 6 month old baby it was nice that we were not trying to get our money's worth and see it all in one day) We also made a second trip to California in the same year, partly to be able to make use of our annual passes! The second time we went 4 times, and our now 5 year old was able to touch a dolphin, and was in absolute heaven. The value at Sea World is awesome! The food inside the park is tasty too (of course it is not cheap, but it is good)

Parking offers in and out privileges so if you want to leave to eat, or for your kids to nap you can do. We found we would go first thing when it opened, and then stay till the baby was ready for a nap, and leave for the day. That way we got the most out of our day.

There are many great shows offered. The pets rule show is hilarious! Both our girls like that one. The Sea Lion show is also very funny. Our 5 year old of course loves Blue Horizons (the dolphin show) she can recite most of the show verbatim and she wants her hair in a pony just like Morena's (one of the stars of the show)

We had a great time at Seaworld and for value it is one of the best in the San Diego Area.

Have fun at Seaworld, and enjoy getting wet!

Connect with me on Facebook www.facebook.com/amandaevanscc or on my website www.amandaevanscc.com

Visited November 2012
2 Thank canada134

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
  • Arabic first
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 28 helpful votes
“Great for tourists”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

Beautiful water park. A few "rides" too. I love the acquariums. I don't think they should try to "train" killer whales though. They are wild animals. They will behave unpredictably, as wild animals do. That is why we should accord them respect and treat them as such.

Visited August 2012
Houston, TX
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great sights, good show.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013 via mobile

We were there for a work event, at night. Shamu was unable to perform, so we swathe sea lion show, which was very cute. highly recommended for the young ones. The food, however, was terrible. while I understand that is not their main focus, by far, it really could been a lot better with minimal effort. the ribs were uncuttable. there were no vegetarian options. the chicken was dry and bland. Probably won't go back - I've seen better exhibits at aquariums for much more reasonable cost.

Pleasanton, California
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Getting worse”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2013

My family have been to SeaWorld San Diego few times for the past decade. Since we have been there for a couple of years we decided to pay a visit. My family noticed their animal exhibit became less interesting especially after they toning down the Shamoo shows. I have always had concerns on the marine animals there. It is perhaps a good thing. However, I became skeptical about the possibility of future visits. It is good that we had 3-in-1 tickets and could visit San Diego zoos in the trip.

Visited May 2012
1 Thank cosifan
New Haven, Connecticut
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“Incredible Animal-Based Experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2013

When I travel with my kids, I try to focus our activities on things we could not do at home, and this is one of them. The chance to be up close and personal with the whales and dolphins is truly extraordinary to me.

We have visited here several times, now, in part because of their special pass in which you pay for one day's entrance and get a whole week's worth! This is a great value, because there is enough to do that it is worth at least a couple trips.

Here are a few highlights:

- Dining with Shamu. In general, I am not a fan of these "opportunities" as they are generally quite expensive for little return on the investment. Dining with Shamu is the exception. You are seated in a quiet area with a buffet for dining and the trainers do a session RIGHT in front of you. It is as close as you would ever want to get to a killer whale. If the price has you hedging a bit, check out the breakfast rates which are slightly less expensive.

- The ropes course! When we scheduled our trip to San Diego this year, this is one of the things my kids were most excited about. In the midst of all the observing you do at SeaWorld, they have a fairly impressive activity center where the kids can run off some steam. The ropes course is fun for all ages that can climb, but there is also a jump pad and an open-air space with perhaps 50 punching bags the kids can run through. Note to parents: There are two ways on/off the ropes course, so if you have a little one, make sure they know exactly where you are!

- Feeding the sting rays. Have you ever done this?! We had petted the sting rays at other shows, but never fed them. For $6 you receive four fish to hold under water while the ray swims over your hand and sucks it out of your fingers. The experience was a bit unnerving- but totally worth $6.

- Encounter with the Dolphins. I sprang for the Encounter with the Dolphins for the kids this year. It was rather expensive ($60, I believe, for 20 minutes), but it is something they will never forget! They got to try the training signals, held the dolphin's fin and head-- and generally had fun!

- Interaction with the Dolphin. I did this myself and really enjoyed it, though I would have enjoyed it if it had been a little less "show" and more interaction. The opportunity to hang onto the dolphin's fin and be pulled across the pool was truly incredible, but even more so just the time to spend seeing them up close in their natural habitat. Note that this was quite expensive ($215 for 20 minutes)-- if we decide to do this again in the future, I would spring for the encounter instead, but I'm glad to have participated once!

- The Shows! Do not miss the shows during your visit- the SeaLion show is funny; the dolphin show is spectacular; the OneOcean show is incredible and beautiful. Each of the shows are different, but they are all wonderful!

- It is worth noting that, while there are some rides at SeaWorld, it is not a theme park by design. Go to learn about the animals and experience something new with them... not for the rides.

At the end of the day, our visit to Sea World was one of our highlights of being in San Diego. We stopped by Mission Beach after we left to spend a few minutes on the ocean, which was a wonderful end to a beautiful day.

Visited February 2013