“Beautiful park”

Ranked #3 of 445 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most popular urban parks in the United States, this bucolic paradise is packed with an array of attractions, including the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Stroller parking, Activities for older children
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Very nice and big park with good playgrounds. There are some beautiful buildings in the park and some trails which you can walk on.
Free parking is available all around the park which turns it into a cheap and relaxing thing to do when visiting San Diego.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

The puppet show is a waste of money. Very amateurish, old-school production. My grandsons and I could not believe any public venue would charge money for something like this in a world-class park! Don't waste your time or money!

Reviewed July 15, 2013

Beautiful park with all sorts of museums! I didn't have much time,but if I would, I would spend at least three days in this park.

Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful area. Numerous museums to visit. There is even a free park tram to get you from side to side of this enourmous park. Interesting history. The San Diego Zoo is located in Balboa Park. Definitely worth going to walk around or visiting a museum or just sitting and enjoying the architecture.

Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were at the San Diego Zoo and could see the towers of Balboa Park across the hill, so we went to visit it the next day. Some of the museums cost money, but if you're on a budget you can still have a really good time! Plan on walking, parking is pretty far from anything in the park. My husband and I and two young kids spent all day there, and didn't spend any money except on food. We all loved different things about it.

The architecture and grounds were beautiful - lots of gardens and fountains and ponds, also a beautiful indoor (and cool relief from the heat) botanical gardens. There were street performers everywhere, and not just mediocre ones, but actual talent! Lots of different types of museums, a nice big playground, walking trails, etc. If you're hungry, don't miss The Prado - it was a little on the expensive side, but one of the best food experiences we had in San Diego.

However it was a little hard to navigate - we couldn't find a map anywhere in the park, so we downloaded one for our android phone to find our way around. And the bathrooms at the playground were disgusting - no doors on the stalls and absolutely filthy!! Even my 8-year-old son refused to use it, but decided to wait until we got back to the hotel.

Overall though I wouldn't have missed it for the world! We all loved it!