“Definitely should visit!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 371 things to do in San Diego
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: One of the most popular urban parks in the United States, this bucolic paradise is packed with an array of attractions, including the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
Useful Information: Activities for older children, Stroller parking, Activities for young children
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Definitely should visit!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

Beautiful park with all sorts of museums! I didn't have much time,but if I would, I would spend at least three days in this park.

25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Museums galore”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful area. Numerous museums to visit. There is even a free park tram to get you from side to side of this enourmous park. Interesting history. The San Diego Zoo is located in Balboa Park. Definitely worth going to walk around or visiting a museum or just sitting and enjoying the architecture.

Tidewater, Oregon
5 attraction reviews
“Great entertainment on a budget.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2013

We were at the San Diego Zoo and could see the towers of Balboa Park across the hill, so we went to visit it the next day. Some of the museums cost money, but if you're on a budget you can still have a really good time! Plan on walking, parking is pretty far from anything in the park. My husband and I and two young kids spent all day there, and didn't spend any money except on food. We all loved different things about it.

The architecture and grounds were beautiful - lots of gardens and fountains and ponds, also a beautiful indoor (and cool relief from the heat) botanical gardens. There were street performers everywhere, and not just mediocre ones, but actual talent! Lots of different types of museums, a nice big playground, walking trails, etc. If you're hungry, don't miss The Prado - it was a little on the expensive side, but one of the best food experiences we had in San Diego.

However it was a little hard to navigate - we couldn't find a map anywhere in the park, so we downloaded one for our android phone to find our way around. And the bathrooms at the playground were disgusting - no doors on the stalls and absolutely filthy!! Even my 8-year-old son refused to use it, but decided to wait until we got back to the hotel.

Overall though I wouldn't have missed it for the world! We all loved it!

Visited June 2013
Corona, California
23 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Beautiful Park, Bad Signage”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

Went to Balboa Park to take my dogs to the dog park. Drove around for about 30 minutes and could not find any of the 3 dog parks. Finally found someone walking their dogs and asked where the dog park was.

Once we got there it was a lot of fun. Nice large park with trees and benches. Seperate drinking fountains for both people and dogs. All the dogs where nice, only had one owner that was too busy on his phone to pay attention to his dog.

Overall a good experience.

Galliano, Louisiana
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 41 helpful votes
“So much to do and see here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My daughter has been living in San Diego since 1997. I have visited there many times and go often to Balboa Park. I never get tired of going there. So much to see and do. This time we took the toddler and her road a train, played on tree stumps, and so much more. I love the museums, especially the train and vintage cars. All of it!