“Great Hotel for families with children”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #27 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Ankeny, Iowa
“Great Hotel for families with children”
Reviewed May 31, 2010

My husband, 2 1/2 year old son, and I stayed 3 nights at this hotel. The hotel was very clean and well located. We had a room with a balcony that overlooked the pool, so the view was very nice from there. I had added a comment online when I booked that we would prefer a room with a balcony, and we did receive that type of room. Liberty Station was a beautiful, clean, and safe feeling area. There is a trail behind the hotel that you can walk down to go to a great park with a playground. This was one of the nicest playgrounds that we have been to. There are plenty of restaurants and grocery stores nearby, so we did a lot of our dining out near the hotel. The room had a refrigerator, but no microwave. This hotel is really near the airport, so if you are outside you will hear and see planes taking off and landing. The view of the airplanes taking off was a plus for us because our son loved seeing them. The noise inside was not enough to disturb us. I dropped the sleep quality down 1 mark from excellent only because one night there were people talking too loud and too late on the patio below our room which made it a little difficult to sleep. All of the attractions we wanted to go to in San Diego were just a short drive away from this hotel without having to fight downtown traffic. We did enjoy the fact that there was a nice laundry facility and free internet in the business center at this hotel. The only thing that could make this hotel better would be a free breakfast buffet, but I have not seen one of those in a Courtyard. We will be staying at this hotel if we return to the San Diego area.

1 Thank HappyFamily04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Oakland, California
Reviewed May 28, 2010

Clean, crisp, new rooms with a frig and microwave. Friendly staff and decent breakfast buffet. Pool is a good size and not too crowded.
This place is the best if you have young kids. A HUGE and beautiful park right near the hotel, with great water views and you can see the airplanes take off! Also with 2 great kid parks for them to slide on. Walking distance is a great shopping/food complex so you dont have to waste your time looking for meals. Los Primos mexican food is just awesome, as is the Thai and sushi places. This hotel is so close to Sea World and downtown (4 miles each) - that it doesnt make sense to stay and pay overpriced hotel rates to be downtown. This is just one of the most convenient, clean, best located and kid friendly hotels I have ever seen. And free Wi-Fi!!!!!!!!!!
Cons - thin walls, can hear your neighbors, sadly this is true of all new construction hotels.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Covington, Louisiana
Reviewed May 27, 2010

Hotel opened in 2008; is well maintained. The staff is very helpful. Great location central to most attractions; BEAUTIFUL VIEW!

california
Reviewed May 23, 2010

My husband and I traveled with our two toddler children. The room was quite large, which is nice because we set up a travel cot and pack & play for the kids. Only a couple of minor complaints, one being there aren't really adequate hooks for hanging towels in the bathroom and I also wish the bathroom had a much stronger fan. Husband was impressed with the buffet, as he brought our food to the room and the staff accomodated our every need with trays and cups with lids.

1 Thank pescas
Rio Rancho, New Mexico
Reviewed May 22, 2010

This is a gem! My college age son and I got a room with a meal credit and that was about right for a nice room and two very good breakfast buffets. The pool and hot tub are great, the restaurant was pretty good for a hotel, and the grounds were magnificent. Our room had one of those Keurig coffee makers in it and it was neat to try one out.

The Liberty Station area is cool. It's across from the airport; so, you get a bit of air traffic noise. We were able to block that out. I was able to take a nice long walk the evening before my son's flight arrived and found a Trader Joe's and a Vons market. There are some delightful restaurants in the area, too. I highly recommend De Kine and the Corvette Diner.

It's easy getting around the Liberty Station area and this is a great place to stay when in San Diego.

• Stayed May 2010
1 Thank Cybermama
Southern California
Reviewed May 18, 2010

If you travel I’m sure you have been fooled and disappointed by the pictures and descriptions on hotel websites, I know I have, and feel the needles when those in the group tell you, “You know I thought this was going to be…….” We go to SeaWorld at least two times a year and have stayed at a few hotels and I must say if this place had a larger pool I would say it was as good if not better than the Hilton resort on Mission bay for $150.00 a night less. My only complaints were the size of the pool, (a little small, but very nice and there is a Jacuzzi) and no breakfast room service. Room service for dinner was very good and reasonable. I cannot say enough about the staff, professional, courteous and fast, make a request and it’s done. I was impressed from the barista at the hotels Starbucks, front desk, even housekeeping…
The Liberty Station area is worth a little exploring. It’s on the property of the old basic training facility of the US Navy in San Diego and reeks with history. San Diego has done well to preserve the integrity of the area and honoring those who have served this country. I hope Monterey and San Francisco do as well with their inherited Military Installations...
I found going to their web site and using AAA got me better rates than any of the online booking sites by about $30.00, so it helps to shop. I asked to stay on the ground floor but when I go again, and we will, I’ll ask for upper floor room with a balcony facing SeaWorld on the chance you can see the nightly fireworks.
The area has plenty of shops and eateries, and this place seems central to everything Mission bay a miles or so north, San Diego harbor a mile or so south, if your new to the area don’t miss either one.
Hope this helps… Good Travels.

1 Thank Oceanview Please
San Francisco, California
Reviewed May 17, 2010

I booked this hotel through marriott.com after seeing the excellent reviews on Trip Advisor. The reviews were spot on. This hotel is exceptionally well-managed, very clean, and resides in a wonderful location less than three miles from the airport. Built in a new planned community called Liberty Station, it's surrounded by restaurants and shops, is flanked by a lovely inland waterway, and is very quiet except for the occasional jet flying over.

The earlier reviewer said she thought the place was expensive, but she must have bought last minute. I reserved a room here less than three weeks before my stay at a AAA rate of $119/night. I consider this an exceptional value.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple