“More nearby than I expected”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #28 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed August 4, 2014

The front desk staff was very friendly and efficient. They got me in and got me out very quickly. There always had a smile and a greeting every time I came into the hotel. the room was clean, and the bed was comfortable. The one drawback to my room as that I was on the first floor and the very large windows looked out onto a courtyard. I left the blackout shades drawn my entire stay. if I had been on a higher floor, I might have enjoyed the sunshine a bit more. I liked having the starbucks in the hotel downstairs. I was able to get my coffee and a little breakfast quick and early in the morning. We also discovered a number of restaurants in the area that were pretty good without having to trek back into downtown San Diego. A very pleasant stay

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Rick B, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and appreciate the nice comments about our front desk staff, along with the convenience of our onsite Starbucks and numerous restaurants and activities nearby. Please come back soon! We will be happy to accommodate a higher floor request. Also, you can book one of our premier bay view rooms and have your great view guaranteed.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed August 2, 2014 via mobile

Stayed from July 27-August 1 before switching to The Catamaran for a family function. Perfect stay, as usual. We used rewards points for a free stay, and had room 335 (handicap accessible) which had a covered balcony overlooking pool and water. Be sure to request higher floor facing pool. Pool closes early so noise is not an issue. Clean rooms, polite front desk personnel, and we love Liberty Station. Nice restaurants there, including Sammy's Woodfired Pizza, Panera, etc., plus a Von's. We loved walking 6 miles daily (approx twice around the Esplanade). We visited Cabrillo's tide pools, the zoo, Balboa Park, The cove at La Jolla, etc., and this is a great location. Will def stay here again!

Stayed: August 2014

Thank you for staying with us again and THANK YOU for your loyalty to Marriott! We are glad you enjoyed your stay in one of our premium bay view rooms. When staying in a hotel, a restful night is critical and is why we make sure to have quiet time after 10pm for our guests.

I'm impressed with your daily 6 mile walks and I think I really should get outside more and enjoy our beautiful waterfront location! Please come back soon!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

The staff was nice but not too knowledgeable about the local area. The rooms were clean and average in size. While outside at the pool and walking at the park next door the airplane noise was quite loud.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled with family
Rick B, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded August 6, 2014

Thanks for staying with us Mark and family!

Sorry we didn't have the answers to your questions regarding the local area. You may have talked with one of our newer associates. We focus on making sure our team is well versed on the area as we are all guest concierge's. (is that even a word?) One of the very first things we do for our new associates is take them around the area, give them a free trolley ride so they can see downtown and the surrounding areas, and also have them stay at the hotel so they can experience a hotel stay...but some times this doesn't happen in the timely way we want unfortunately. But, you have inspired me to make this a priority, so thanks! We discussed it this morning at our daily Huddle.

It's so funny to see the various comments our guests make regarding the airport noise. From "incredibly loud"...to" never heard any noise". Most guests are very surprised by the lack of noise though. You mentioned that you were in the park, which is heading in the direction of the flight path, so yes, it would gradually get louder in that direction.

Thanks, and all the best!

Reviewed August 1, 2014

I just returned from what has to be my best stay at a Marriott hotel. From the time I arrived at the airport and contacted the hotel for the free shuttle service, I was treated with the utmost respect and friendly helpfulness. Erica told me where the shuttle would be and what I needed to look out for. Erica also took my cell number in case the driver could not find me. I don't think I waited for more than a few minutes before the shuttle pulled up. I was again treated with the utmost respect and courtesy by the driver and even offered a bottle of water for the short ride. The shuttle was clean and comfortable, and I arrived at the hotel in about 10 minutes. At the front desk I was greeted by Erica who I had just spoken to on the phone. Erica was friendly, professional and courteous. I had a few requests for my stay, Before I could even utter them, Erica had already somehow anticipated my needs and I was able to check in slightly earlier than the official time. Checking in early was extremely helpful, and I was attending the annual Comic Convention and I needed to be able to take the first shuttle available, so I could check into the convention. My room was extremely clean and fully stocked with all the relevant amenities. I was presented with a letter upon arrival in the room, that included a personal note form housekeeping and a copy of the Comic Con shuttle route maps and departure times. All around the hotel there were "comic book" related items which just added to the enjoyable stay. On one occasion, I think the weekend, I even saw some staff with comic themed clothing which was awesome, in that the hotel went this far to make those of us celebrating all things comic book related feel most welcome.

Throughout my stay I felt very welcome in this quiet and peaceful location. Even though this hotel is fairly near the airport, unless you were outside I don't remember hearing the planes take off. In fact the hotel is extremely quiet. All the staff I interacted with were friendly, helpful and courteous, and I felt like I was a valued client and that my stay was important to them.

Housekeeping was amazing. I had one supply request that far exceeded my expectations. Not only was the item I requested in the room when I returned, but there were more items than I expected.

If I am ever back in the area this hotel would definitely be my first choice. It is situated just a short walk from many restaurants, a supermarket and some specialty stores. The area being on the water is very tranquil. There is a Starbucks right inside the hotel, which helps for those early morning meetings or departures.

Thank you again to all the staff for making this stay a truly memorable one.

Room Tip: I am not sure if there is a bad room in this hotel. I had a balcony and a partial sea/water view.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and hope you stay with us again next year during Comic Con! Thank you for mentioning Erica's good service, we promise to give you excellent service in 2015!!!

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Well appointed Courtyard with 2 restaurants. Rooms are very nice, clean and well taken care of by staff. Breakfast in morning has buffet option which was very good. Chris waited on me and did an excellent job. Buffet is well stocked with fresh food and cleaned up constantly. This is a hidden gem in shopping center, will be my new base in San Diego. Rates are very reasonable. Recommend.

Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

We are glad you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and your room. It's exciting for us when a new guests discovers our unique hotel and the amenities we give our guests.

Please come back soon!

Reviewed July 26, 2014

I stayed here with my adult children for three nights in July. Check-in was smooth and friendly. My daughter asked if the room happened to have a pullout couch - I was sure it didn't, as I hadn't booked a suite or anything. The front desk clerk checked, and didn't find one, but did upgrade us to a top floor room with a balcony that overlooked the waterfront. Sweet! This was unexpected, as I had booked the room through Comic-Con. We also received little Comic-Con gift bags with bottled water and candy; even the room key had Batman on it. They later sent up an air mattress with a pump. Gorgeous view over the water (not the open ocean, but more of an extremely large canal), and we sometimes saw Navy vessels moving in and out.
The room was spacious, even for four adults, and we had space for all of our belongings. Large countertop in the bathroom, and the tub was large enough and angled enough for a decent bath (but not a spa tub). The room had a coffee station with a Keurig and a small refrigerator, and another larger refrigerator and microwave near the balcony slider. The balcony was fairly shallow, but included two chairs and a patio table and enough room to sit outside. The hotel was quiet at night, and the only time i really heard any planes was when I was outdoors.
None of us ate at the hotel - I saw a few people in the dining area for breakfast, but never anyone else, and the deli was deserted. The hotel does not have breakfast included with the room.
They gym was extremely well equipped in comparison to other hotel gyms. Four treadmills, two ellipticals, a weight machine with multiple stations, balls (medicine and yoga), a few mats (and space to roll them out), two racks of hand weights of varying sizes, and a few items not commmonly seen in hotel gyms - resistance bands and a few kettlebells (really small ones, but still!). The waterside path should also be good for a run, as would the neighborhood adjacent to the miltary area.
The hotel has several spacious common areas, both indoors and out. The bar area has three large-screen televisions and a few comfy seating areas in addition to the bar. There was an additional seating area with a fireplace, and the business center also included some comfy seating - and a fireplace. Outdoors, there was a porch area with patio furniture, a ceiling fan and another fireplace, and two patios with seating, umbrellas, and a firepit that was lit each evening. The pool and spa were an okay size for a hotel and had both lounges and table/chair set-ups. We weren't around much during the day, but the pool had few or no people in it. Very pleasant common areas!
There are some restaurants within a few minutes walk, and free parking was plentiful. It took us maybe 10-15 minutes to get to the downtown/convention center/Gaslamp area each day. I cannot really comment on the rates/value of this hotel, as our rates were through the Comic-Con event. This was a great stay, and the hotel makes my list of those to which I will happily return for a getaway weekend.

Room Tip: Ask for a waterside room at check in.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Token6500

Unbelievable detailed review, thanks!

You captured most everything wonderful about our hotel and Liberty Station. I don't even know what to say, but THANKS!

See you soon!

Reviewed July 24, 2014

The hotel is in the middle of the old Navy training base on the edge of a shopping area. Plenty of restaurants in walking distance plus the in-hotel restaurant. Staff was very helpful. The waterway behind the hotel is flanked by a walkway which looks good for walking, running, etc.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business

Thank you for staying with us during your visit to San Diego. We are glad you enjoyed our location and the convenience of the walking and bike trails along the waterfront. We love being situated where the San Diego Naval Training Center used to be and the historic value it still has in our area.
Please come see us again soon!