“No room for us despite online guarantee--stuck with no room at midnight!!”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #28 of 286 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed March 23, 2013

We booked online, guaranteed with credit card for late arrival and when we showed up at midnight they told us they didn't have the room type that we reserved. No other rooms were available. They offered to give us bedding so our 4 and 10 year old could sleep on the floor--how kind. They told all of the surrounding hotels were full, apologized, and that was it. Basically, they hung us out to dry at midnight despite guaranteed room. I called the Marriott reservation line and because it was after midnight, even they couldn't help us find anything for that night. Since it was actually the next day (12:30am) all they could search for was hotels for the following night. I've tried to be brand loyal to Marriott, but won't any more.

They really screwed up and didn't help fix the problem.

• Stayed: March 2013
7  Thank beachlover070
rick b, General Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Again, I'm extremely sorry that we weren't able to accomodate you and your family and that you had to seek out a room at another hotel that late at night. As we discussed in our earlier email exchange, we could have thought 'outside the box' and got you comfortable for the night.

I'm glad that you are going to give Marriott another opportunity though...sometimes we make mistakes, but it's all about how we handle the resolution that makes the difference.

Thanks, and I wish you and the family all the very best,

Rick

Write a ReviewReviews (1,181)

Reviewed March 23, 2013

We chose the Marriott based on its TripAdvisor reviews and it lived up to its reputation. The front desk staff was super friendly and gave us great advice for where to go in San Diego. The famous Jim the bartender was great. We enjoyed the walking path right outside the hotel and spent an afternoon just walking along the harbor and enjoying the sea lions, sailboats, and sun. Well done!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ryan S
Reviewed March 20, 2013

I used to live in San Diego and I knew where I wanted to stay when I brought my family to visit. The location of this hotel is centrally located. Easy to get to down town, the beach, old town, sea world, etc. The price was better than fair. For a family of four, I couldn't ask for much more from a hotel. Great breakfast buffet, great rooms, great laundry area, great business center. If it had been warmer, we would have tried the pool. If I was alone or a business traveler, I would have loved the bar. Can't wait to go back and stay here again!

Room Tip: Fantastic for families as well as business travelers.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
3  Thank lcf0106
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thanks for choosing to stay with on your return visit to San Diego. See you next time.

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We recently stayed at this hotel while on a pleasure trip to San Diego. We were here with our son and his family for a visit to area attractions. The hotel is centrally located close to the airport, and easy to access many of the main attractions at San Diego ( Sea world, the Zoo, Balboa Park, USS Midway,) to name a few. Staff at the hotel are very helpful, friendly and always willing to please. The rooms are very clean and comfortable, they have all the necessary anemities you would need. They have a nice business center, a coffee shop that serves starbucks coffee which is open at 6:00 am, a great pool and hot tub, a very nice exercise room, a great lounge with the best bartender in the land (Jim). The nicest thing about this hotel was the resturant twentyfive-92, we had breakfast here everyday, you could have a full breakfast (omellete station) along with all the extras (bacon, sausage, hashbrowns) or you could have the continental which had everything (fresh fruit, shaved salmon, cereals, oatmeal, yogurt, toast, bagels,) coffee and juices. Kids under 2 eat for free, full breakfast for 4 was $54.00. This is a very good price for what you get. The best part of this whole thing was the service by a waitress named Megan, she is by far the best I have seen in a very long time. Her professionalism and general caring to make sure you were treated like royalty was second to none. We have nothing bad to say about this place even if we wanted too.

Room Tip: Water and pool views are great but you will have to pay a little more, so if you are booking online...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank firechief-JL

Our food and beverage department take great pride in the food they serve so they will be glad you and your family enjoyed it. We’ll be sure to sure your comments with Megan and I agree she is good at what she does.

Travel safe

Reviewed March 18, 2013

We stayed here for three nights on a family vacation to SanDiego. Pleasant staff, nice and clean hotel. GREAT location in terms of being close to lots of attractions. The proximity to the airport did not bother us, although the plane activity starts about 6:30 A.M.
We were able to easily navigate to SeaWorld, the Zoo, the Midway, etc. We ate at Oggi's Pizza, which was a short walk. Good pizza!
Also ate at the Corvette Diner - which was fun and good.
The Marriott Ctyard was a great place to have as home base. The housekeeping staff was great, attentive and polite. The frontdesk staff - very friendly and helpful. We were always welcomed back and wished a good day when we were leaving....
The free parking was also appreciated.
A good choice if you want a reasonable priced hotel, free parking and close proximity to tourist locations.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Joan C

We appreciate you taking the time to post comments. I glad we were able to take such good care for you while visiting San Diego.

I hope you great the opportunity to visit again soon.

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

I booked this place because my two other Marriott brand options were booked up...but I was pleasantly surprised. I would rather stay in a different part of San Diego but if I was traveling on my own dime instead of my company's, this would be my first choice(especially because of the free parking which is rare in SD). The location is good if you want to be next to the airport (and can sleep through planes). Most of the rooms do have a nice view of the water or you can always go walking down there... The hotel is on the newer side so the rooms are still in good shape.

• Stayed: July 2012
2  Thank QueenCityTravels

Thank you for sharing your experience and I’m happy the surprise was pleasant. I hope that you have a chance to visit us again and maybe we can become your first choice.

Travel Safe

Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

Amazing staff! I mean over the top go out of their way to be sure you are happy. The rooms are clean and well stocked, I am in a king size premium suite and its crowded with one persons stuff. The balcony rooms come with either a tiny 3 foot balcony on floors 3 and 4 or on 2 they have a big 12x12. Unfortunatly I upgraded to the bay view and will be downgrading to a regular tonight. For me personally the view isn't worth it. It's not that nice of a view (you can't see the sail boats or the full ocean) and the noise from the pool and restaurant at night goes on till 10pm and its is awful awful loud. Marriot between the planes (which don't bother me because I love close to an airport so am used to it) and the pool you should seriously invest in some thicker balcony doors. Or close it down earlier than 10! I was actually really surprised at 8 (standard pool close time in my experience) thinking it would be shut down and it was not. The up side the staff were so kind about it when I called asking what time it closed they were asking if there was anything they could do right then, apologizing and even saying thank you for telling them!
Location is also good for families and travellors with cars. I am on a cycle and so far it's good too. The location lacks my personal preference for what I want in an area but speaks nothing about the hotel itself. It's geared more to the family or business travellors not those that know and love the local scene of San Diego. I would come back to stay with my family, but would not come back on my own.

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank lilsweetieflyin

Thanks for taking the time to post your comments. I’m sorry the view didn’t work out for you but I glad that our staff made such a lasting impression.

See you and your family next time you are all in San Diego.