“Quiet, pretty location near San Diego and airport”

Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station
Ranked #25 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Canada
“Quiet, pretty location near San Diego and airport”
Reviewed February 22, 2013

The service at this hotel was excellent; we met several different front-desk employees, and each one was friendly and very helpful. The rooms were standard Courtyard rooms: clean, spacious and well appointed for the cost. The hotel has a restaurant that serves a brunch, as well as a cafe which offers smaller selections for breakfast and lunch. We would grab a free coffee and then a pastry and sit outside near the pool area. Very tranquil, very pretty. The pool is small, but sufficient. A few other restaurants within walking distance as well as a Starbucks (although the hotel also serves Starbucks).

Hotel did have a faint smell of sewage near the elevator when we first arrived. We raised this with the front-desk and the smell seemed to have gone by the next day. The smell did not permeate into the rooms. So, all good there.

Our room was situated next to a large fan situated on the first-floor roof of the conference area extension. This was noisy (we had ear plugs) and did cause a vibration in the room that could be disconcerting to some. Ask for a room down one of the two wings rather than near the elevator.

Staff were good at offering up directions and recommendations for meals nearby. Liberty Station area has groceries, a few shops. Nice streets and waterfront area for walking.

Room Tip: Ask for a water view. Elevators are in an enclosed vestibule, so that is not a problem. However, t...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Perpetual-Motion1
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, March 4, 2013
I’m happy to hear the service was excellent but want to apologize for the smell and noise issue. I did want to thank you for mentioning the fan noise, I’ll have my engineers have a look to make sure it is operating correctly. I couldn’t agree more on the waterfront area – it is a great area for walking and relaxing.

Travel Safe

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
PA
Reviewed February 19, 2013

Really enjoyed a recent stay at this Marriott. Decor in the room was really attractive. Very different to your typical hotel room. Peaceful setting, but close to everything. Would definitely recommend.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank HappyVacationer1973
Thank you for taking the time to post your comments and for recommending us to friends. I’m happy that you enjoyed your time with us and hope you will visit again.

Till next time.
Pennsylvania
Reviewed February 18, 2013

This Courtyard is nicely located near the airport - it's also walking distance to some nice restaurants, cafe's etc. The service was true to Marriott form, excellent as usual. Front desk service went out of there way to handle needs. Will stay here again on my San Diego travel.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for your kind words. I agree, Liberty Station does have some great little restaurants. Appreciate the shout out for our front desk staff. They work hard to make each stay special and will be happy to read these comments.

See you again.
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed February 16, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel twice (in 2011 and 2013) and loved it both times. The room are VERY clean and housekeeping does a great job freshening up your room every day. And the location can't be beat! Close to the airport and it's easy to go anywhere in the San Diego area from here. My only complaint would be the cost but it's worth it!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank labs33
So does that mean we have to wait until 2015 to see you again, I hope not. Thank you for recognizing our housekeeping department. They do an amazing job keeping our hotel looking new.

We may be a little more costly than some of our surrounding hotels but like you said – we are worth it.

Charlotte, North Carolina
Reviewed February 11, 2013

Although I stayed only a night I will definitely return.
The room was nice and had a scent of "newness."
The front staff, esp Elizabeth, were extremely nice and helpful and accommodated my request to change from two queens to one king.
The shuttle driver was prompt and pleasant esp at 5am!
The location is ideal esp for biz travelers like myself. The trip to San Diego airport is about 15 min MAX.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chef D
We share these posts with our staff and they will be excited to know you noticed the effort they put in each day. I’m glad Elizabeth was able to assist in changing your room type. We try to honor all these requests but sometimes it is just not possible.

Thanks for staying and hope to see you soon.
Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed here with husband on business. It was the best Courtyard that he had stayed at over the years as a Marriott member.

Service was excellent.
Airport pickup.
Free parking.
Spotless room.
Amazing bartender, Jim. Happy hour between 5-6. Awesome salmon entree/shrimp cocktail. Sandwiches not bad either. Better food here than at the pier.
Great location near airport and 15 minutes to downtown.
Didn't make it to the exercise area.
Would stay here again even if not on business.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Gussy
Duncan M, Manager at Courtyard San Diego Airport/Liberty Station, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
I’m so excited to hear that we rank as the Best Courtyard. I can’t wait to share with the staff.

And I agree, Jim is an amazing bartender and we are honored to have him work with us. Our food and beverage department will also be thrilled to know how much you enjoyed the food. They work very hard to produce great food so thank you for recognizing the effort.

See you next time.

Ancaster, Canada
Reviewed February 3, 2013

I had a stopover before heading to Mexico the next morning. My room was large, clean and bright. It served the purpose very well and had all the amenities I needed, such as a coffee machine and kettle. There was also a fridge which I did not need. I had booked a room with a view, but in retrospect I would have preferred a room toward the front of the hotel. It was the weekend and the hotel pool was below. Of course, they were party-people there and so it was noisy. I didn't worry too much about it, as I was on the higher 4th floor – I put in earplugs, took a pill and went to sleep.

I would use this hotel again as a way-station between the airport and my destination, but next time I would choose a room at the front of the hotel away from the noise of the pool. Breakfast is available, but not included in room price. Free coffee is available in the lobby, as is a computer if you don't bring your own. The free shuttle to the airport was very helpful coming and going, and the drivers were cheerful and pleasant, as was the staff at the hotel.

Room Tip: Hotel front if you want quiet.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank countrygardener929
I hope you had a great time in Mexico and thanks for taking the time to post a review.

I’m sorry that you were disturbed by people at the pool. It’s unfortunate that some folks are not respectful of others around them. We do have a noise curfew in place and I’ll speak with the staff to make sure it is enforced at all times.

I am glad that overall you enjoyed your stay.

Take Care