“New Place for Superbowl Sundays”
Review of Puerto La Boca

Puerto La Boca
Ranked #329 of 4,804 Restaurants in San Diego
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Downtown
San Diego, California
“New Place for Superbowl Sundays”
Reviewed March 2, 2014

My brother turned me on to this place for this year's super bowl as an alternative to crowded, beer-soaked sports bars. He craved their various types of "Empanadas" -- and was he ever right. It was really a great change, such that we'll make this the tradition now on for enjoying the super bowl from their cozy bar. For starters, they have their happy hour ALL day EVERY Sunday during the year; which offers real nice food discounts and on well drinks, wine & beer. The bar tender was super friendly and helpful on the South American food and drinks here. We tried these appetizers to combine into a filling meal between the two of us: Empanadas, fried Calamari, Morcillo(authentic grilled blood sausage just like I remember in Spain) and also chorizo sausage. I stuck with their Blue Moon wheat beer on tap; while my brother and he really enjoyed discovering their specialty "Pisco Sour" well drink with a special (Peruvian or Chilean??) liqueur. Some great happy hour wine selections are also present. Finally, they have a GREAT house bread you can ask basket after basket of too.
Although I'm not a meat eater, this definitely the specialty of this Argentine restaurant....and the flame grill will provide succulent steak cuts I'm sure. I also really like the classical colonial South American feel (European) of the main dining room too. May well-dressed families began coming in for dinner about 4 PM, and kept the noise volume of children down to a reasonable level. Next time I hope to try their octopus over potatoes (i.e., en el estilo de "Pulpo Gallego" from Galicia in North West Spain). At the end of Little Italy's main drag but WORTH the extra 2-3 block walk, especially if you want a change from pasta & pizza.....

• Visited February 2014

• Greek first
Los Angeles
“Excellent beef”
Reviewed January 27, 2014

The various beef choices are tender and flavorful. The chimichurri is yummy. Outdoor seating is a plus.

• Visited January 2014
1 Thank Lynnbrownstone
“Birthday bash”
Reviewed December 3, 2013

A birthday dinner with the family -- all ages represented -- was the occasion for our visit. We selected empanadas, tomato salad and shared flat steaks, mashed potatoes, French fries and an array of desserts. The chimichurri sauce was a standout addition to the meat, and our pleasant, attentive Uruguayan waiter happily disclosed the ingredients so we could make it at home. Our visit was on a quiet Sunday night; the restaurant was a bit chilly, the chairs slightly lumpy but the food excellent and Malbec selection extensive. Our family was made welcome and paid attention to. A memorable meal for both the food and the setting in San Diego's Little Italy, as well as the dual language chatter around the table.

• Visited December 2013
Poland, Maine
“Great Chimichurri”
Reviewed October 30, 2013

We love the food here. The service is great,the food amazing. We have been several times, taken friends and have never been let down. It's a good place for beef, but I don't eat beef but love the chicken dishes too. The chimichurri makes everything even better. The homemade pasta is great, but the best of this restaurant is how well nicely favored every dish we have tried is. Just past the main part of Little Italy on India street makes the location fun and enjoyable for day or night.

• Visited October 2013
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,417 helpful votes
“Great Asado de Tira.. some cuts of beef better than others.....”
Reviewed September 21, 2013

I lived in Argentina for 8 years so I consider myself somewhat of an expert on beef. A friend suggested this place and said it's been around for a while. I typically go down to Buenos Aires several times a year for work and to visit family so I get my fill of steak when I go down.

They definitely have an authentic experience here as several of the guys working there are Porteños and from Buenos Aires. I took my family here for lunch and we loaded up on some food. We started out with the Provoleta (fried cheese) which was really good. We also tried various Empanadas which were quite good. (These were a staple of everyday life in Argentina!).

The cuts of beef however were varied. The asado de Tira was REALLY REALLY good. Perfectly seasoned and cooked. Tons of flavor and the french fries were also great. I could have sworn I was in Argentina. However, the Bife de Chorizo I got wasn't nearly as good as what you'd find in Argentina. In fact, it didn't taste anything special at all so just be aware that it really depends on which cut of beef you try. I'd highly recommend the Ribs (asado de tira) like I got.

The service was really good and they were friendly. It has a simple decor like something you'd find in an older part of Buenos Aires like San Telmo. There were several tables inside and also a few tables outside if you wanted to eat outdoors.

We went on the weekend and there was NO problem at all finding a parking spot about a block down. But I imagine during the week it might be tough.

I'd definitely recommend this place if you need a beef fix and I'll definitely be back here. Good food and friendly service.

• Visited September 2013