“BEAUTIFUL UPSCALE, BUT ISOLATED”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #76 of 278 Hotels in San Diego
Reviewed February 7, 2011

me and my wife stayed here jan 27th-30th on a quick trip. it is a really nice, clean, big upscale hotel. they couldn't have built it any better except putting access to the starbucks and fox sports grill from inside the hotel. the rooms were extremely clean and nice and comfortable. the problem was that this hotel even though located right across the street from petco park and the gaslamp district, you have to walk back down to 5th street to cross the train tracks to get over there. you just feel a bit cut off from downtown. but the views are great. they are building a walk over bridge but it is not yet open. also, there were no place to purchase alcohol to bring up to your room. there are no close by stores or anything. the retail shop does not sell alcohol and the restaurants and bars don't sell alcohol to bring up to your room. it would take about 30 minutes time to walk to your car in the garage, drive somewhere and come back. the other bad thing is they hold a lot of conferences and "balls" there so the lobby and parking garage is always busy. the last night of our stay my wife was sick and we had to get up at 6:00 to catch our flight and they were holding a "ball" there and the people there were up and in the halls all night long yelling and laughing. we first complained at 11:30. it went on until 4:30. we didn't get to sleep more than 30 minutes straight all night long. they kicked over glasses outside our door and when i opened the door and asked them to be quiet they asked me if i wanted to fight. there was nothing done about this that night by the staff to quiet them. why can't they put all the guests of a ball on the same floor? not to mention we were close to the elevators and they dinged all night long too. i did call a few days later to complain and they took my parking charges ($75) off. but that doesn't make it better. when you pay the money to stay in a hotel like this you don't expect these problems.
nice clean hotel, weirdly isolated, no help to quiet loud guests, expensive parking. i will definitely stay on the other side of the train tracks next stay in san diego.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jeremymelissa
There are newer reviews for Hilton San Diego Bayfront

Reviewed February 6, 2011

Feels very new inside. Everything to experience in San Diego is close by. Amazing views from every room. Best bayfront hotel

• Stayed: February 2011
Reviewed February 1, 2011

Nice ambiance and great facility. Only issue is poor AT&T reception.

• Stayed: January 2011
1  Thank Keepthepace
Reviewed January 26, 2011

Most of the staff were courtious, though the restaurants were very, very expensive. I had a nasty allergy to something at the hotel so was miserable most of the time. Hotel billed the wrong credit card. Wifi wasn't free as it is in most hotels ($20) per night. There was a charge of some sort for everything...

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Richard V
Reviewed January 25, 2011

great service, nice range of restaurants, great location and easy to walk to most locations - highly recommended but note the extra charges for wifi etc - not cheap :)

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 24, 2011

We came to San Diego from NYC to celebrate our 5th Anniversary and my wife's pregnancy (first child - 7 months pregnant), and I have some positives and some negatives:

Positives:

1) Nice, new hotel, within 10 minute walk of Gaslamp Quarter
2) Due to us being Hilton Gold, we were upgraded to a nice room overlooking bay and Petco Park. Beautiful view.
3) Due to us being Hilton Gold, we were given a free food and drink item each day from Starbucks. We kept kosher, so Starbucks allowed us to get 2 free drinks each day. Also, because we kept kosher, the hotel had also given us a free food item from a restaurant in the hotel, which they also allowed us to exchange for Stabucks credit.
4) New pool was really nice and modern, and overlooked the bay.

Negatives:

1) $25 a day parking. Way too high in my opinion, and no alternative in the area.
2) We reserved a king bed, but when we got there they said they were all sold out due to a convention, and only had 2 Queens. No choice at that time but to accept. Wish they had told me earlier.
3) Walk to Gaslamp quarter has a lot of homeless people, and we did not feel so safe walking it. Maybe once the bridge is finished.

Overall is was a nice stay and we would stay there again given the right price. Any questions, please email me at yoshapman@hotmail.com

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 13, 2011

Stayed five nights for a conference. Paid to upgrade room to 16th floor on opposite side from bridge view so I wouldn't be looking at and listening to the huge Dole container ship being unloaded and loaded - had a view of the Bay and over the roof of the Convention Centre. The hotel still feels new - it's clean and not cruise or convention worn...yet. The bed was very comfortable, somewhat limited tv channels when you're not interested in sports. The bridge over towards the baseball stadium is still not finished so you have to walk alongside the Convention Centre to 5th before you can cross the tracks. As a solo traveller, I didn't really want to be out and walking around after dark as there are a lot of street people hanging around but not as aggressive as the ones in Seattle.
I ate in the sports bar twice, first time the food was good, second time so so. You can't access it from the hotel which is very strange, same with the Starbucks. I ate dinner in the Vela and found my food tasteless and expensive - having the discount coupon made it slightly more palatable -- and you can look at the Dole container ship when you're put in a not prime seating area as I was.
Staff were all very friendly and helpful.
A little too chilly to use the pool and you're staring at and listening to the container ship being loaded/unloaded.
Make sure you take all your toiletries with you - I paid $5 for a travel size tube of toothpaste at their Gift Shop. I didn't feel like walking for 15/20 minutes to a drug store.
$20/day for the "better" wireless access is downright extortionate - I needed it to access my work VPN.
Went to the zoo, took a taxi there and the bus back [$2.25]. Zoo admission is now $40.
SuperShuttle was the most efficient I've encountered, $16.00 round trip, they showed up on time, were extremely professional, left a message on my cell to remind me of my return trip.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled on business