“Perfect location and great views”

Hilton San Diego Bayfront
Ranked #75 of 279 Hotels in San Diego
Wailea, Hawaii
“Perfect location and great views”
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Overall this is a very nice hotel, with modern rooms and great views. The beds are comfortable and bathrooms bright. Two minor gripes: they don't staff the front desk effectively with the Honors line slow and clerks buried in the computer screen, but not helping those in the long lines; and the Honors breakfast coupon is pathetic, offering a bottled beverage and one item at Starbucks, but no coffee!?

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Popovova

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,126)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Great facility. Staff was very polite and helpful from the start. I had a great view of the harbor and Coronado Island. Restaurants were great, a little pricey, but you are in San Diego. Nice walk to Horton Plaza too. Many restaurants there to check out as well as along the way. Will stay here again.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, August 2, 2013
Thank you for your wonderful 5 star review. I am pleased to hear how much you enjoyed your stay and that you received impeccable service from our team members. I am delighted to learn that you loved the beautiful views as well as our convenient location within walking distance to a variety of shops and restaurants in the downtown Gaslamp Quarter. Thank you for your review and we look forward to welcome you back for a future visit.
Reviewed July 26, 2013 via mobile

Stayed at the Hilton while attending a conference at the Convention Center. When we made our reservation months before we requested a room with a king sized bed. At checkin which was early in the day we were told they were out of rooms with king beds. ( really ????). We did get a room right away which was nice and our room was on the convention center side. The view on this side is amazing! Great view of bay and downtown. Request a room on the convention center side! The other side's view is not so great. Also get up as high as possible for the best view.
Room was fine. Decorations were simple. Room was clean. Comfortable bed, extra charge (I think $25 per day) for refrigerator and microwave.
There are nice areas outside to sit and relax if a ship at the Dole loading dock which is very close is not being loaded. This loading took 3 or 4 days and was very noisy! You also have a view of this dock from the pool and the noise.
If you are attending a conference the Hilton is very close to the convention center.
Elevators were always fast and rarely crowded.
I have stayed at two other hotels on the bay in the past. The Hilton has the best view if you get on the best side. It is also one of the
newest hotels in this area.

• Stayed July 2013
Paradise Valley, AZ
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I had the bay view. It was pretty. The beds were comfortable. The parking was a little pricey but it had in and out privileges. The elevators were fast. They let me check in 2 hours early. They were a bit snotty when explaining the hilton rewards...that was weird.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dallas, TX
Reviewed July 24, 2013

I stayed at the Hilton Bayfront last week and this week and it is perfect! It is 5 minutes from the airport, a short walk to the LampLight District, directly across Petco Field and you can walk along the bayshore with ease.

It is walking distance to Seaport Village which has a ton of restaurants and shopping. There is a bike rental place a short distance away which has reasonable prices and makes for a great experience. They do not have an Executive Lounge but who cares...for Diamond members they give you coupons for appetizers and drinks for everyday you are there as well as coupons for Starbucks for a drink and food...perfect!

It is 10 minutes from Zoo and close to all other attractions.

The staff is great, the bar is great, the location is great!

...and if you like military stuff, Blackhawks fly by almost every 5 minutes and you see battleships and Navy Seals coming through the Bay throughout the day

Room Tip: Corner rooms have views of Downtown and the Bay
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your wonderful experience and for choosing us as your hotel destination while visiting San Diego. I am delighted to hear how much you loved the hotel as well as our convenient location on the bay, within walking distance to some of the best shopping, dining, and entertainment San Diego has to offer. I am grateful to learn that all the staff you encountered during your visit was friendly and accommodating and that you are very pleased with your stay. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future!
Cherry Hill, NJ
Reviewed July 23, 2013

I love San Diego and my hotels of choice are the Marriott and the Hilton. Check in is always efficient (even though some of their staff are very standoffish, sorry). The lobby is comforting, the bars are fun, and I always feel safe and welcome. The standard rooms are, well, standard (I really can spot no difference between a Hampton Inn room and a standard Hilton's). But if you're lucky to get a downtown view, it's worth it. Spectacular, really. Otherwise, you're likely to be stuck with a wonderful view of the Dole factory and all its lovely freights. The restaurant downstairs is first class. And if you don't like fancy, there's a sports bar and bars with excellent menus. The only drawback is it's a hotel built for conventions and private parties, so if you're not on the list, you're out of luck.

Example: after walking the marina early afternoon on a Monday, I was famished. The bar was open. Food was being served. Could I eat there? OH NO. It was closed off for an event. I went downstairs. The sports bar is closed. The downstairs bar is closed. I go to the pool bar. THAT'S CLOSED TOO FOR A PRIVATE PARTY. Where could I eat, I asked. Well, there's a Starbucks on the other side... forget it. Very disappointed but hey, business is business, right, Hilton?

Disappointment aside, the location is great if you like to be close to the marina and the Gaslamp is a ten minute walk. Staff is courteous, food is good (when you can get to it). Just beware sometimes the check in staff don't understand it's free to smile.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for four nights for 2013 Comic-Con. The room was very small and a little claustrophobic. There were no robes in the room, the towels and trash were changed out inconsistently, I left a couple of used towels on the bathroom floor (which as instructed, indicated we wanted fresh towels) they were picked up and put on the shelf under the sink without being replaced. I think charging for wi-fi is extortion but that's just my opinion :) I couldn't connect by the pool to the "free" wi-fi. We had two children with us who were looking forward to playing on the new water slide but it was closed off the entire weekend - when I asked why, we were told that celebrities had booked space and there wasn't the staff to cover monitoring the slide - do celebrities pay for their own rooms? I doubt it, but we did. Pool service was poor the first couple of days. The waiter who took care of us was very attentive when he was around. There was a crowd of very drunk people in the pool on Saturday afternoon who should have been escorted out or at least cut off but nobody did anything about that. I realize that the hotel was at capacity between paying guests and events but we were quite disappointed with the level of service.

Room Tip: If you're willing to "upgrade" for a view, be prepared to pay.
Green Features: Pretty average. I didn't notice anything special that other hotels don't do.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Katie E, Manager at Hilton San Diego Bayfront, responded to this review, July 24, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback and for choosing to stay with us during Comic Con. I am sincerely sorry to hear that your visit was not necessarily what you were hoping for and that there were some aspects of your stay that were a little disappointing. I am very sorry that you did not receive the service that you would have liked from both our housekeeping and pool staff. I want to assure you that our entire team does their best to provide friendly and efficient service to all our guests even during our busiest times. I am very sorry that during your stay our kids slide was closed which I understand is disappointing for the children. I am sorry that you were inconvenienced during portions of your stay and that you expected more from us. I will be sure to relay your feedback to our management team so that we can assess how we may better provide for our guests during peak times. Thank you!